Bundle useful software like OpenOffice.org? Vote now!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you want?

Bundle them and install them without the user choosing on normal install.
3%
Bundle them and let the user choose on normal install.
22%
No bundled apps!
57%
We just need firefox bundled, but nothing else.
15%
We just need Openoffice.org bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need Thunderbird bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need firefox and Thuderbird bundled, but nothing else.
3%

Total votes: 67

andrewweb

Bundle useful software like OpenOffice.org? Vote now!

Post by andrewweb »

Devs, could reactos come with OpenOffice.org, firefox and other useful open-source software bundled?
Or if not , could we have an option in setup to choose to have these?(like minimal(nothing), typical(openoffice.org, firefox and other useful software) and custom(choose programs)). Then the user could choose.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

This would increase greatly the build time and therefore is will decrease the development speed. That's the reason even firefox isn't bundled (yet). I believe that when Reactos 0.5 comes out, it will have all these programs bundled (but you will have to wait till then...)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Did i understand you correctly? Current ROS ISO is 2x mb in size. Adding OO binaries would increase it way over 100 mb...

There is no need to bundle anything apart from most needed apps (which need to be also very small in size). We also dont want to promote any of the available apps, like Firefox or OO, by bundling them with ROS, for another simple reason. Every user has a right to choose its own apps not to have this choice disturbed by us.

For example, i dont like Firefox and i`m not using it. Why do i have to download a bundled FF then?

Please, try to think out of your own small box.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sorry to say reactos is just the core. OpenOffice not fall into that.

By the time Reactos hits 0.5 there will be most likely kde 4 for windows as well.

So basically everything will have twins at min. Reactos has download program to download program to install it. I would more prefer to see that expanded for people to make there own mix of applications to unattended install.

This is the non bias solution. Of course people are free to provide there own bias versions.

Sorry to say Windows users don't really understand how much free software will be release on windows when kde 4 gets release on it. There is going to be a lot of selections for people to make.

Even now with Firefox there on windows there is like 8 different options. Its just simpler no bundling unless its required for the api.
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

This question/suggestion raises from time to time, why not update our website FAQ with questions about shell/bundled apps/whatever appears in forums currently?
andrewweb

Sorry

Post by andrewweb »

I see your point, but the reason I made this poll, was that I think if we have firefox and openoffice and thunderbird bundled(but chose upon install), it would greatly help some new users, as they may need an office suite but can't afford it, or don't want to have to wait a long time for openoffice.org to download. It would help many users, but it could only be optional.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

And you are clearly missing mine andrewweb.

http://www.koffice.org/ Please go visit. This is one of the first things ported across from kde to windows.

The problem we have there will be no simple 1 selection fits all.

Kde replacement to thunderbird is Kontact what is more a outlook full replacement.

Even Firefox has its replacements. Basically by the time Reactos reaches 0.5 I might not want Firefox Thunderbird or OpenOffice and I would not want to be downloading them if I am not going to be using them.

What I expect to see when Reactos reaches stability people make prepackaged kits targeted at markets. This will be different iso's to the main Reactos iso even under different names. Main Reactos vendor/program neutral unless its required to make the api work.
Haos
Test Team

Re: Sorry

Post by Haos »

andrewweb wrote:, or don't want to have to wait a long time for openoffice.org to download. It would help many users, but it could only be optional.
Then how would they like to download OO AND Reactos? Or do you want us to prepare several ROS+different apps combo ISO`s with every release?

Till now you have only thrown in a general idea, without any attempt on going into details...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok my idea Haos.

Have download program able to build a custom ISO from is application list to install off line. This disk can be set to include a Reactos installer.

When going threw the Reactos installer if there is download program created directory ask user if they want to install those packages. At end of install like most linux distros ask if there is a Reactos third party disks to install. Ie downloader created disk. And a simple loop until all disks you want installer is.

This way anyone wanting Reactos shiped with X packages can build there own Distro quickly. Yet does not bundle the core with it. The common format of downloader could be used across all opensource multi package installer disk.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Hello,
I don't agree to put *big* apps into the ROS build tree.
Compiling ROS on a P4 3GHz with 1GByte of RAM already takes about 40 minutes...
However, in my opinion there is an alternative.
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to reserve a directory in the build tree where you could put some pre-compiled objects: they could be drivers, applications and more.
when you type "make bootcd" it may build the ISO image as usual, and in addition it will transfer the content of pre-compiled binaries into (for example) an /ADDONS directory in the ISO image.
It's just my personal suggestion...

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini
Sand

Post by Sand »

There should be 2 CDs one with system itself and the other with optional apps, just as PC-BSD shipped.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We still would find it hard to fill one CD, even with sources shipped:)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Carlo Bramix wrote:Hello,
I don't agree to put *big* apps into the ROS build tree.
Compiling ROS on a P4 3GHz with 1GByte of RAM already takes about 40 minutes...
However, in my opinion there is an alternative.
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to reserve a directory in the build tree where you could put some pre-compiled objects: they could be drivers, applications and more.
when you type "make bootcd" it may build the ISO image as usual, and in addition it will transfer the content of pre-compiled binaries into (for example) an /ADDONS directory in the ISO image.
It's just my personal suggestion...

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini
We already have that support drop any file/folder u like in the output-i386/bootcd folder any place you like, when you type make bootcd it will include thuse file and folder u put there, to the iso file.

same rules goes for livecd
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Bundling software is most hated thing, look Windows like XP or Vista - they are only usable when nLited/vLited.

I use years customized turbo xp version and .iso size is 220 mb only, no damn dog, no wizard, no BillG mediaplayer, no .net framework terror and other that is unneeded addons. Firefox, MPlayer, Sylpheed, Avidemux, Filezilla and other open source software is only what i use, no pirated software except Win itself.

I hope that ReactOS will never include some big software bundles except little ones like ReactOS own paint, notepad, calculator, wordpad, tiny archiving possibility (zip, 7z, bz2, gz) this is enough for start.
tomleem

one cd with two directories?

Post by tomleem »

Sand wrote:There should be 2 CDs one with system itself and the other with optional apps, just as PC-BSD shipped.
How about one cd with two directories? :?: One for ROS and one for APPS? :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy