is this OS recording engineer friendly?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AsuraDemon

is this OS recording engineer friendly?

Post by AsuraDemon »

Everything I'm hearing about Vista makes it sound like a recording engineer's nightmare. Is ReactOS going to be good for those whom want to use a PC to record (and mix/master etc...) music? Will it be compatible with most sound cards, and things like pro tools, the mbox2, and most other recording programs and hardware that works on XP?
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

it should be good for audio mixing because it will be nice and light (plus being open source you can legaly hack /modify the operating system as needed), you should be able to run any application that windows xp can, of course it could be 6 months or more before reactos has a working audio subsystem, as for hardware you should be able to use your normall windows xp/win2003 drivers.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ReactOS amin have same audio system as windows nt 4.x and higher
wdm (comes in windows 2000 and higher).

it is two audio system reactos will support.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Vista's new audio system is actually a very good, low-latency one, WaveRT.... it's really the one thing I like about Vista xD... what might be a nightmare is running all old audio applications on Vista, as they will almost for sure not work... try upgrading to the latest... Ableton 6.0.9 works pretty nicely on mine hehe

I believe that once reactos is a fairly complete clone, it should go forward and implement and audio system using something like PulseAudio, which comes with some neat features and it's intended to help compete against mac os x's audio core http://www.pulseaudio.org/
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

As has been repeatedly stated before, PulseAudio is implemented on top of the existing sound architecture.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

yes, I haven't said otherwise
AsuraDemon

Post by AsuraDemon »

Phobos wrote:Vista's new audio system is actually a very good, low-latency one, WaveRT.... it's really the one thing I like about Vista xD... what might be a nightmare is running all old audio applications on Vista, as they will almost for sure not work... try upgrading to the latest... Ableton 6.0.9 works pretty nicely on mine hehe

I believe that once reactos is a fairly complete clone, it should go forward and implement and audio system using something like PulseAudio, which comes with some neat features and it's intended to help compete against mac os x's audio core http://www.pulseaudio.org/
I have hardware and programs that are only around a year old, I'd rather not have to spend hundreds of $$$ on new programs and hardware in order to use vista. I don't have the money to be spending hundreds of $$ on new equipment and programs after I just did so recently. Plus I've decided that I like pro tools and want to stick with it (I use sonar and MicroLogic a bit as well), and a vista compatible pro tools isn't out yet.

That and I don't want to be stuck with Vista's audio system, I want something that will allow for more flexibility, not one which limits what hardware I can use to such a degree.

It's going to be far easier for me just to stick with XP as long as I can, but after that I need an os that isn't going to be so restrictive and resource consuming as vista. Maybe microsoft will fix vista, but I'm skeptical, after all ME was crappy to the end of its life.