sandbox for Win16 and DOS applications

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

axel668

Why not use DosBox ?

Post by axel668 »

There is a brilliant OpenSource Tool called "DosBox" (dosbox.sourceforge.net), which is excellent at running 16 Bit Software on Linux, Win32, Mac, FreeBSD, ... I'm sure this will be working on ReactOS, too , once it is finished, so no use in re-inventing the wheel, here.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Dos box is an emulator and does not really allow connections with the rest of the operating system which is important.
Floridajin

DOSBOX

Post by Floridajin »

What kind of extensions are really needed that can't be supplied by DosBox? I'm not intimately familar with it, just curious. Does anyone use DOS for any really important apps anymore? I always thought people just used it for playing the old skool games games (like the old Sierra games from before hard drives became popular.)
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Phalanx wrote:Dos box is an emulator and does not really allow connections with the rest of the operating system which is important.
If it has access to the hardware, then how is it a sandbox?
oiaohm

Yep normal miss understanding.

Post by oiaohm »

A sandbox does not say that it cannot have hardware/software access on the system.

Wine is a sandbox on linux. But wine can have direct access to floppy drives and Cdrom drives.

This is controled access.

A sandbox has controled access or no access at a change of a few options.

Now a dos music player needs access to the cdrom drive and a sound card. How you build this is up to the sandbox builder. Now a dos sand box should really never need access to lets say a win32 bit program that is not makered as a interface program.