Firefox and ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dark Meddiah

Firefox and ReactOS

Post by Dark Meddiah »

Hi all.

Today I threw out xp and put in ReactOS! Nah, just kidding, but I might do it when ReactOS is stable, secure and compatible enough. Running it under VirtualBox. Anyway, I have an problem with the install of firefox. I like firefox. But (big but) none of the two installs works. Firefox 1.5 starts downloading and then just dissapear, and Firefox 2.0 installation makes ReactOS crash (or something, I can just moce the mouse and not do anything more). It starts the installation process just fine, moves on to the loading bar and suddenly the entire OS just stops. However, I would love to have firefox installed. So, anyone knows why I have these problems or how to solve them?

Take care,
Dark Meddiah
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

You can use Mozilla Seamonkey too, but download the packed binaries and not the installer, because the installer crashes ROS too. Also unpack the binaries with e.g. winrar and then have fun with ROS and seamonkey :)
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i dont think firefox is working at the moment, can you mount/open your reactos vm? if so go to portableapps.com and download the portable version of firefox and copy it into your vm and try to run firefox.
andrewweb

Re: Firefox and ReactOS

Post by andrewweb »

Dark Meddiah wrote:Hi all.

Today I threw out xp and put in ReactOS! Nah, just kidding, but I might do it when ReactOS is stable, secure and compatible enough. Running it under VirtualBox. Anyway, I have an problem with the install of firefox. I like firefox. But (big but) none of the two installs works. Firefox 1.5 starts downloading and then just dissapear, and Firefox 2.0 installation makes ReactOS crash (or something, I can just moce the mouse and not do anything more). It starts the installation process just fine, moves on to the loading bar and suddenly the entire OS just stops. However, I would love to have firefox installed. So, anyone knows why I have these problems or how to solve them?

Take care,
Dark Meddiah
Note: It doesnt "stop" like that. If you wait a few minutes it will continue. It is simply a slow part of the setup proccess. I know, i found this out myself when installing(!!!!).
transformationzero

answer!

Post by transformationzero »

go to portableapps.com and download the standalone verison of firefox it works and updates like the installed verison and it does work on reactos
dreams

Post by dreams »

Firefox 2 setup works better in the head revision of ReactOS. The chrome bug that appears in 0.3.3 is now gone. So when 0.3.4 is released, please try it again!
Dark Meddiah

Post by Dark Meddiah »

Sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, I will take an look at portablepapps.com. And I´m definatly going to install ReactOS 0.3.4 when it comes out.

andrewweb, I waited and waited and waited for a long time and nothing happened, so it didn´t work for me :(.

EDIT:

Yay. ReactOS v 0.3.4 is out :).
Jaix
Moderator Team

Firefox works for you?

Post by Jaix »

Did you get firefox to work for you in 0.3.4?

I tried firefox on several computers and different VM:s, and I managed to get it to download , install and run on all systems except on the transmeta with qemu.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Firefox support has improved considerably. Of the guys who tested it for the release, they got it to work on VMware and QEMU, though Jim apparently ran into problems on real hardware.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

@Jaix, does reactos work with the transmeta cpu?
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

I have test Firefox 2.0 with version 0.34 on Qemu and it work. I have use the iso download and install it with the German option. But:
  • * It hang 3 minutes on setup for the license agreement.
    * The setup dialog has no border.
    * In the Firefox the icons of the toolbar has wrong colors.
    * It is very slow.
    * The OS hang very fast (100% CPU) for example for pages on http://heise.de.
    * The debug log is full with messages of Firefox.exe
Volker