VBE-driver bug?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gasmann

VBE-driver bug?

Post by Gasmann »

Look at this:
[ external image ]
That's how ReactOS looks for me with vbe standard settings ...ugly... :(
However setting the resolution to 1024x768 makes it look good again.

So is this a bug of the vbe driver or is it just me who gets this?

P.S. Entering something in a commandbox is hard without seeing what you type :P
jnolles

Post by jnolles »

Indeed, its very hard to see what you type ...

I have exactly the same problem on my laptop with Ati Rage Mobility video card. So you're not the only one ...

I had to switch back to the VGA driver. This is only in one of the latest SVN builds though.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

I remember something like this with NeoPaint 3 (DOS program, see history book :P ) with .. i think it was an oak vga card (ISA) .. in 15 and 16 bit color modes...

Are tou using a hi color display mode ?
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

A-v-S wrote:Are tou using a hi color display mode ?
As I said, this is only with standard-settings of the vbe-driver. I don't know exactly, but I think the standard resolution is 640x480x8bpp (256colors).

btw. I'm using a Geforce MX-440 SE and I never had such problems only in current svn builds of reactos.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

I have use the vbe driver on ati readon Mobility in res 640x480 to 1024x768x32 it works fine on my laptop.

Now to the problem all graphice card have build in update freq for each reslution and it does not exists a vbe 2.0 standard to change the freq.

If the monitory does not support the build in freq from the graphice card.
it will hapen werid thing on the monitor screen. LIke the screen shot you did show. Try a anohter reslution. On my oldes monitior it can not handle 800x600 from the vbe driver. becase the freq are not support for that res from the graphice card.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

OT - Is anyone looking at the Cairo project from the Gnome team? Could be a way to snazz up some fluid 3D in the desktop. Adding it early gives a better chance to make it fly efficiently in the long run.
Go Huskers!
jnolles

Post by jnolles »

On my laptop i cannot change to an other resolution. If i set it to 1024x768 in the registry it will boot in 640x480 with those strage colours as seen in the screenshot.

Is anything done about this bug in the latest SVN?
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

Hi!

could someone tell me how I can change the resolution?
Is it already possible to change the resolution of a running system?
(if not that's no problem. I've got a working build environment)

thanks!

EDIT: I've just found the thread http://reactos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572 which solved my problem.
RomanH
dark

Post by dark »

I have the color problem too, i also had it with 0.2.6-RC2, it happened on the install disk, but not the live disk for RC2, I haven't tested the 0.2.6 live disk, nor am I planning to. (If i try to change the resolution or color depth it will just tell me changing that is not in reactos yet.)
vins

Post by vins »

gasmann wrote:
A-v-S wrote:Are tou using a hi color display mode ?
As I said, this is only with standard-settings of the vbe-driver. I don't know exactly, but I think the standard resolution is 640x480x8bpp (256colors).

btw. I'm using a Geforce MX-440 SE and I never had such problems only in current svn builds of reactos.
I have the same Videocard and the same problem :(
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

dark wrote:I have the color problem too, i also had it with 0.2.6-RC2, it happened on the install disk, but not the live disk for RC2, I haven't tested the 0.2.6 live disk, nor am I planning to. (If i try to change the resolution or color depth it will just tell me changing that is not in reactos yet.)
There's one simple reason why the livecd doesn't show this bug: _it doesn't use the default resolution_
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

vins wrote:I have the same Videocard and the same problem :(
I don't know what exactly is the reason for it, but it's NOT the graphic cards fault.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

since the problem (i've got it as well) is only at 640x480x8 maybe the default resolution should be set to 800x600x8 until the problem is solved. Or is there a reason why this would be a bad idea? I'm pretty sure that even my 486 had a graphics card that could handle such a resolution.
RomanH
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

RomanH wrote:since the problem (i've got it as well) is only at 640x480x8 maybe the default resolution should be set to 800x600x8 until the problem is solved. Or is there a reason why this would be a bad idea? I'm pretty sure that even my 486 had a graphics card that could handle such a resolution.
The graphic card shouldn't be the problem, if it doesn't support the chosen resolution then the driver should automatically switch to a lower supported one, shouldn't it?
However there could be a problem with old monitors. I could imagine some of them don't even support 800x600 :roll: