Development, Driver and hardware support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NW

Development, Driver and hardware support

Post by NW »

Firstly, I want to say that this project is really great and I am waiting each new release !
But there are some issues that I don't understand : I don't know how the drivers are implemeted into Windows, but as Reactos is design to run with windows drivers, you "just" (!) have to add a driver layer (to Wine ?) to be able to run on real hardware, isn't it ?

And, about the actual development state, even if I know that is a alpha version, I think if the next releases are able to run on some minimum real hardware, it will be great for Reactos interest and increase the activity around this project. Perhaps, be able to run Reactos on liveCD on main actual compturer at the end of 2008 should be a very nice goal.
dreams

Post by dreams »

For driver support, almost a complete kernel would be needed, so that is why Wine isnt implementing driver layer. What ReactOS is doing is writing a compatible kernel so you can use the drivers.

ReactOS works on some real hardware configurations. It (0.3.4) currently works on my test-pc. Youtube search for ReactOS and Quake for a video of it!
cppm

Post by cppm »

Every so often we get new people on the forums with an idea about how setting some new target will seemingly awake the developers from what they must see as an unmotivated stupor or a bright idea about how to improve the development process granted by some form of divine inspiration. Unfortunately these revelations are mostly simplistic and/or been heard before...

I'm afraid NW (and i don't intend this as a personal insult) suggesting that ROS is a 'driver layer' for wine is along the right lines but simplistic. And the idea that the real hardware state needs to be improved (and it does work on a fair few rigs, but many have issues) has been heard before, and it goes without saying anyway. It's like saying 'ice cream should be cold' or 'circles are round'...

Sorry
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Simplistic is kind of an understatement. Wine by itself doesn't do any of the heavy lifting in terms of resource management, scheduling, and other things needed to get the system to run. If you were to compare us to Linux distros, it would be as if we were providing the Linux kernel, libc, GRUB, shells, and god knows what else you would need to get the system up and running. When compared with all that, Wine is a drop in the bucket.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sorry to have to correct dreams here. wine has a system called winedevice what is basically a windows kernel being developed to run like usermode linux including using the linux kernels threading and memory management.

Major issue still is that winedevice does not operate in ring 0. Need for the windows kernel in wine is copy protection drivers. Of course usb devices and other things are being considered to be done with winedevice.

So yes wine is developing a driver layour. In time ros and wine kernels might be usable interchangeable too. Usermode form does have some useful advantages.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Development, Driver and hardware support

Post by Jaix »

NW wrote:Firstly, I want to say that this project is really great and I am waiting each new release !...
Thanks for your encouragement.
NW wrote:...But there are some issues that I don't understand : I don't know how the drivers are implemeted into Windows, but as Reactos is design to run with windows drivers, you "just" (!) have to add a driver layer (to Wine ?) to be able to run on real hardware, isn't it ?...
Eh, no, ReactOS isn't based on WINE, It wouldn't be effective to start to implement compatibility with linux drivers on top of ReactOS when we aren't even stable only using our own system, it would be yet more insatble and take a lot more time. Besides why aim for linux drivers when most drivers developed by manufacturers are made for Windows
NW wrote:...And, about the actual development state, even if I know that is a alpha version, I think if the next releases are able to run on some minimum real hardware, it will be great for Reactos interest and increase the activity around this project. Perhaps, be able to run Reactos on liveCD on main actual compturer at the end of 2008 should be a very nice goal.
Actually, ReactOS were working very well on hardware before 0.3.0, then we desided to rewrite the kernel to get rid of all hacks and minimize the number of buggs, we are still in that process. When the kernel and friends are more complete everything in ReactOS will be faster more stable and more compatible then anything we have seen in ReactOS so far.

By the way, welcome to RectOS Forum!