PackageManager Download

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dr. Fred
Developer

PackageManager Download

Post by Dr. Fred »

Hi,

It's me again. I'm now home again from vacation.

I don't know if nobody noticed or noboady cared, but we made a Package-Manager release 10 days ago. Anyway it wouldn't be the worst thing if no one noticed, because it was really buggy. But I fixed most of the bugs (at least I hope so).

Anyway... It would be really nice if you could test the software, under Windows as well as under ReactOs. Here are also the source and the xml files. (not needed for running they are download from the internet)

If you are missing features add them to my todo list on the wiki.

Maarten Bosma
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Ps: What is going on with your Program SirTalon ?
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Greetings

Here are a few suggestions and bugs:

* There has to be some text which explains the different buttons. For example, an explaination text could popup when you hoover a button with the mouse

* You should be able to hit abort during the downloading process. Also, it would be better if it said what it's actually doing (i.e. downloading in this case)

* When the Abiword installer popped up I hit Cancel. I got a message from the package manager which had the Caption "Fel" ("Error"), but the message said "Operation done". It should've said something like that it exited because of user action or similiar.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I've added the first 2 things to the ToDo List, but the last one isn't a bug nor a missing feature:

At the moment the packagemanager (pm) just downloads the installer and starts it. Later it'll work without any user interaction, by downloading zip files with the binarys or starting installers with special parameters. But at the moment there is no interaction between the pm and the abiword installer. And because the pm downloaded and excuted it currectly for him everything went right. So it either displays "operation done".

The title error is always there. I can fix that if you bother.
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Then it should inform the user before the installer starts that it's part has been done. Maybe a popup saying something like, "Package downloaded succesfully. Click OK to install."
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

No Problem, just have to create a messagebox command for the script.

And another question: Has anyone testet it under Ros yet ?
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

My next Project will be comandline interface. It should behave like apt-get. But I don't use it often. So my question is which of the commands do apt-get users use the most ? Here are some I find important:
apt-get update - updates the tree
apt-get install abiword gekko - installes the two
apt-get install Internet - isntalls everything in the internet-brach
apt-get upgrade - updates very thing

apt-cache search abi - finds AbiWord
apt-cache show abiword - shows the description
PS: 200th Post :)
TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox »

I suspect that this PM can be modified for upgrades to ROS itself a la Windows Update.

Ultimatetely, ths program should be used to Spread the Word about Open-Source Projects. And the best thing is, it'll work on Windows, too.

To Do:

Proper Text for Actions (i.e. Connecting, Downloading [With % and Filesize, if possible], Installing, and Finishing [Removing all Temp Files])

Better handling of the Download Exit, all it does is lock up the program. Tie the X button function to the Abort button, with an Added Text Prompt (i.e. Are you sure you wish to cancel?)

If ROS is indeed using differennt Subsystems (i.e. Win32, Linux, OS/2, DOS, Jeva, et al..), then the PM could be configured to download specific packages for specific Subsystems (.exe for Win32, maybe .rpm and .bz2 for Linux, .zip used on all, combined with a home-grown extraction facility)
rowa

Post by rowa »

apt-get update - updates the tree
apt-get install abiword gekko - installes the two
apt-get install Internet - isntalls everything in the internet-brach
apt-get upgrade - updates very thing

apt-cache search abi - finds AbiWord
apt-cache show abiword - shows the description
PS: 200th Post :)[/quote]

Hello,

only if you change your apt-configuration (Download-URLs in /etc/apt/sources.list) you have to update apt with
apt-get update
If you will install a packet you use
apt-get install PACKET
or better
apt-get install PACKET --fix-missing
This will install depended packets too.

If you don't know the name of a packet you can search for it. For example you are looking for all packets with mysql in the name or description.
apt-cache search mysql
If you would like to update all installed packets you use this command:
apt-get dist-upgrade
If you would like to see all installed packets you need this:
dpkg -l
It is very easy to use these Debian-commands in scripts. I use this for easy and fast installing and upgrading of software on server.
Robert
http://qemu-buch.de/
Book "qemu-kvm & libvirt"
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Looks great, when you have some time please wrote a small script manual and I will start to write install scripts for some apps :lol:
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

HUMA2000 wrote:Looks great, when you have some time please wrote a small script manual and I will start to write install scripts for some apps :lol:
Two sample script (and tree) files:
http://maarten-online.de/xml.zip
:wink:
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

I would like to see feature where you could just add things into basket (much like web-shop) and then click install and it download all of the packets and then start installing them. And if you could save this 'install list' it would be major update for reinstalling.

Of course the software also have to keep track of the softwares installed on the system so that you can avoid double installs and you can build the list from already installed system.

When you wrap this to usable UI we have a nice software for use. I can volunteer for UI inspection and design. If you don't mind. At least get's me something to do.
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi,

I made a (very) small test and have a feature request: When downloading a file, it'd be nice to see a progress bar for a single file. This is very useful for people with a slow internet connection.

Regards,
Mark
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

I was just looking at the source, and it show the tree location as http://maarten-online.de/xml/*. It would be good if we can modify this (without recompiling).
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

crappish wrote:I would like to see feature where you could just add things into basket (much like web-shop) and then click install and it download all of the packets and then start installing them. And if you could save this 'install list' it would be major update for reinstalling.

Of course the software also have to keep track of the softwares installed on the system so that you can avoid double installs and you can build the list from already installed system.

When you wrap this to usable UI we have a nice software for use. I can volunteer for UI inspection and design. If you don't mind. At least get's me something to do.
Sounds like Linspire's Clink-N-Run setup. Very nice, especially for new linux users.