Processor Scheduling

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rastilin

Processor Scheduling

Post by rastilin »

I was wondering how ReactOS's processor scheduler worked. Windows' scheduler is not the most efficient thing on the planet and I think ReactOS could outstrip Windows in general application performance simply by altering how the scheduler operates. What I was thinking of is very long and fixed quanta to decrease the scheduler's overhead.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

oh yeah
please make ros scheduler better

additionally
what I always missed in windows was limiting a process with its maximum cpu usage, dunno if such thing is possible, but if yes, would be a point too
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Yes, that would be great, limiting the max cpu usage ;)
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Not to mention bandwith usage.

This should be defineable in network managing anyways. (general limits, program specific limits, user specific limits?) Like should the CPU usage, which could be located at task manager.

edit: FFS. "You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while." but what if you're editing you post...
chorns

How?

Post by chorns »

What is wrong with the Windows scheduler and how can we improve it? Also, which version of Windows are you referring to? Not all Windows schedulers are the same.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Yes, an integrated NetLimiter program.. sounds good !
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
mjs

Post by mjs »

Max. CPU usage can be done (more or less) indirectly by changing the process/thread priority. The restriction of bandwith is call QOS :D .

Regards,
Mark
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

mjs, those are all "relative" limiters. Packet scheduling doesn't actually limit anything, it just gives other packets priority. Same with setting process priorities. Limiting CPU speed would be forcing the cpu to run idle every X cycles. And limiting network traffic would be what NetLimiter does.
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Eh? Nobody wants to limit the CPU speed... Just to set the percentage, to certain process, that limits how much CPU-time it can hog..
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
rastilin

Post by rastilin »

There is nothing wrong with the Windows scheduler in terms of operation. My idea was for an option to cut overhead by lengthening the quanta. This would improve overall speed because the processor spends less time deciding on or switching processes compared to working on a thread. Additionally, longer pipelined processors like the P4 would not have to purge their pipeline as often.

When I wrote the original one I was thinking in terms of the Windows NT 5.0 scheduler.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Windows scheduker's weakest link is its dependency on the hard drive.
Go Huskers!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

how about AT.exe? there used to be a winat or at32 or whatnot too.
i used to just AT a .cmd script. pretty useful.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
rastilin

Post by rastilin »

I was talking about Processor Scheduling. That refers to how the OS allocates processor time to applications. The windows task scheduler and AT.exe are completely different.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

crappish wrote:Eh? Nobody wants to limit the CPU speed...
I wonder what CPU Killer was made for, then...
rastilin

Post by rastilin »

On that note I know that SUSE already limits processor usage to conserve battery power on a laptop, that could be limited to specific programs and you have your throttle.