ReactX status

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

linuxgx I have think release support for it soon.
native dx installer works direcly in reactos.

I known my own test ms dx works in software mode.
with current status. It is hw acc that is missing for ms dx installer

I do not known when I getting time to fix that issue soon
u also need dciman32.dll reactos does not come with one.

I will fix it when I got time. it is not only dx installer it is some manual hacks and trix need be done proper before I fix the dx installer.

The issue if the EULA is vaild or not for DX
I a game comes with a dx installer and install it without asking
the question is who broke the eula u, game manufactor or ms their self.
I can not give a leagal answers here. The game was desgin working in windows. and u have right to create a os with same enviroment so the question is does ms break the rule for free market or not. with their eula for dx ? that is a question that are need be answers as well.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Thanks for clearing it up GL thats deffenitly something to look foward to. Axcelartaion would be a wonderful adition as well.

DX is ment to be a go between for the OS and software. Its understandable that there would be a few issues in a non-native eviroment since its built to work with the os directly.
cuttysark

Re: ReactX status

Post by cuttysark »

Hi,

Any update on the ReactOS status?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I guess you mean ReactX?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
cuttysark

Post by cuttysark »

Sorry... Any update on the ReactX status?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Kamil will continue the work on it in the future, but first he needs to read into the existant code.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
I believe it's because the directx liscense agreements states that you're only supposed to use it on microsoft windows. (like most of their software agreements)
most people ignore microsoft software licenses

lemmings for windows runs in reactos almost
be59

Post by be59 »

MadWolf wrote:hi
I believe it's because the directx liscense agreements states that you're only supposed to use it on microsoft windows. (like most of their software agreements)
most people ignore microsoft software licenses

lemmings for windows runs in reactos almost
:D :D :D :D :D

But ROS is an institute. If we do something like illegal, oh.....
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
Read my frist answers about ms eula.

Btw I am not back yet, some smaller change to reactx can be found in a branch call reactx by me.
dawinsor87

Post by dawinsor87 »

I have just a meandering question.

Would pushing compatibility between ROS and DirectX first making developing ReactX easier, or is there no shortcut to be found there? Although I suppose individuals willing to install directx on a compatible ros system would have a viable workaround.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

to begin with we do not support everthing yet in win32k and few bugs left in gdi32 for the graphic part of DirectX ddraw.dll/d3d8.dll/d3d9.dll

1. we need 100% working gdi32.dll (gdientry1-16 and DdEntry1-56 is 98% done)
2. we need 100% working win32k.sys (all Dd* and whole dxeng api, maybe bit more is done 90%)
3. we need 100% working dciman32.dll (almost all api is 75% done)
4. we need 100% working dxg.sys (almost 1% are done)

This task is very huge task todo.
I been working almost allown to implement this part my self. time to time I got help
from DrFred, Jim, timo, alex, tamlin, filp, thomas and few other. That have been helping with figout smaller part. When I started almost no documations did exists in msdn, how this api works or how the struct look like. Still the internal struct for dxg and win32k are not in msdn, their is guess work and review how it works.

The idea is to getting ms dx working in reactos and devlop own replacement dll and sys files.
zydon

Post by zydon »

I heard HX DOS able to handle some of ddraw operation in real DOS environment. Could the HX DOS source and methods implementing those functions useful for ReactX improvement?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No. How NT and DOS interacts with hardware is completely different.
zydon

Post by zydon »

Of-course NT and DOS do different way. But there in HX it show how to deal and emulate DirectX without Windows and the actual DX and do almost like Wine but in plain DOS. It's even as fake dciman32.dll and support ddraw, ddraw2, ddraw4 and ddraw7 that really works for software emulation. Better than nothing at all.

Couldn't harm to learn the techniques and the secret to get DX running at minimum functionality. While Wine provide a good base for Direct8 and above. I think HX DOS could at least giving a good start for DX7 and below.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

zydon wrote:Of-course NT and DOS do different way. But there in HX it show how to deal and emulate DirectX without Windows and the actual DX and do almost like Wine but in plain DOS. It's even as fake dciman32.dll and support ddraw, ddraw2, ddraw4 and ddraw7 that really works for software emulation. Better than nothing at all.

Couldn't harm to learn the techniques and the secret to get DX running at minimum functionality. While Wine provide a good base for Direct8 and above. I think HX DOS could at least giving a good start for DX7 and below.
no need for that. there are no secrets, we know the basics. and the usermode part is not that hard, it's win32k and kernelmode DX drivers that are missing the most functionality and neither wine nor HX DOS can't help with that.

the key word in your previous statement is "emulate". those projects do a good job emulating that's right. but we aim for total compatibility so we have to do it the same way it's done on windows. from ground. wine and similar projects are too incompatible to be much help for us.

"Better than nothing at all. "
Meh. I suggest you to learn something about the current status of dx support in reactos before you post again. you see the real problem is not lacking informations about DX internals. the main problem is that DX is huge. yeah read my lips *huge*. we just lack enough developers with enough spare time to make some real progress in a near future.

kthxbai