ReactX status

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NW

ReactX status

Post by NW »

What is the current development status of ReactX ? What is the planing to be compatible to DirectX9c ?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Current status is pre-alpha, under development. Some simple ddraw apps may function, like our ddraw-test. Normal Dx apps aren`t working, due to lack in GDI/win32 as well as dx/gdi integration.

I do not understand your second question. We are planning to make ReactX compatible with dx9, and later with dx10. We also want ReactX to work on Windows NT as a replacement/alternative to Dx. This will take some time and lots of code to be done, though.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

:? ReactX is in all honesty a separate project. with the goal of cloning DX

Its going to take some time
Speedator

Post by Speedator »

You probably think more about Direct3D and it's acceleration than about the rest(I am maybe wrong).
This stuff also needs support for real installations on real hardware and support for real drivers. But this isn't on focus today.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

It's definitely not seperate as it's plumbed directly into win32k and gdi32.
Only the usermode libs like ddraw can be seperated from ros.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Seeing as it's being created from the ground up, its going to be nearly as labor intenive as the coding of the rest of the os. Its to bad I'm not being allowed to assist in the project. :(
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Its to bad I'm not being allowed to assist in the project.
Because you don't know how to code. :wink:
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

:( No former commercial developer who signed papers!
I've been asked by the team to limit myself to suggesting advice rather than coding for the project.
cppm

Post by cppm »

linuxgx wrote:I've been asked by the team to limit myself to suggesting advice rather than coding for the project.
I should imagine because you have quite publicly stated that you have seen windows source code.
linuxgx wrote:Its to bad I'm not being allowed to assist in the project.
You can contribute in other ways than coding, most cogently, you spell out later that you can suggest advice. Just so long as you draw the line between suggesting advice, and potential copyright infringement. And to be safe, that line should probably be drawn pretty cautiously.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

The most fancy game ReactOS can run now is Diablo 2 demo (2D) [1]. It is quite an achievement, but (for example) quake 3 is still far away.

Better games support isn't planned until ReactOS 0.6 (from roadmap)
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Cristan wrote:The most fancy game ReactOS can run now is Diablo 2 demo (2D) [1]. It is quite an achievement, but (for example) quake 3 is still far away.

Better games support isn't planned until ReactOS 0.6 (from roadmap)
what? Mate, just look into the screenshots section. There is a certain quake 3 screenshot that is going to disagree with you :). With some modifications (hacks) in mesa3d and win32k I was even able to run unreal 2004, RTCW, Half-life etc..
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hack? GIMME!!!!!!!!!111112234

The next LAN will be a big PR posibility then
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

preston wrote: what? Mate, just look into the screenshots section. There is a certain quake 3 screenshot that is going to disagree with you :). With some modifications (hacks) in mesa3d and win32k I was even able to run unreal 2004, RTCW, Half-life etc..
True, true. Unfortunately, that is either in software (UT) or using OpenGL rendered in software. (I even think DirectX>OpenGL>mesa is possible as well) Hardware accelerated games is still a bit far fetched (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have to agree: it's a whole lot better than nothing :)
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

:? Why is it that no one has yet though to add support for native win directX instalation. Its a good solution and would allow the games to run untill ReactX is completed.

MS cant sue you for having an OS compatable with DX they can only sue you for installing it or bundeling it. It would be up to the end user to make the choice. Seeing as it would be tempory in any case, I see no problem with the idea. :wink:
dark

Post by dark »

linuxgx wrote::? Why is it that no one has yet though to add support for native win directX instalation. Its a good solution and would allow the games to run untill ReactX is completed.
I believe it's because the directx liscense agreements states that you're only supposed to use it on microsoft windows. (like most of their software agreements)