I wrote a small image viewer...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Davy Bartoloni

I wrote a small image viewer...

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

hi! i wrote a small application ( shimgvw.exe 197 Kbyte )

It's similar to "win image and fax viewer", and 100% reactos_0.3.x compatible.

i take 2 screenshots...

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

the application must be placed on c:\reactos directory, a double-click can set ReactView as default image viewer ...

freely downloadable from www.wcn.it/reactview.zip

Good Night! ( in Italy now are... 2:47 !!! )
Mike

Post by Mike »

any source?
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Mike wrote:any source?
Did you try opening it in Visual Studio Express first before asking? I haven't because I haven't downloaded express yet ( http://www.microsoft.com/express/ ) I know Express 2005 could open EXEs.

Also, ReactView runs smoothly in Windows XP (Without being in C:\WINDOWS), however, with no options menu (IE: to turn on/off whether the program associates with BMP, PNG, JPGs) it's kind of forceful; Sure, I can change the associations back, but can ReactOS? Also, mspaint.exe in Windows is a mere 335 KB, and it's much more than an image viewer.

Also, the filesize in reactOS is incorrect, it isn't 000.197 KB it's 197.0 KB according to Windows.

Also, "similar to image/fax viewer" is a very large stretch. Windos' viewer could rotate, zoom, etc. Yours can only view.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

By source code, we mean C/C++ source code, not the assembly that would result from trying to open an EXE. And from the license in the screenshot, it's not open source.

I wonder whether that's actually .197KB and not saying 000,197KB, since the period and comma are interchanged for numbers in Europe. Though even that would be an oddity.

Finally, note that we would require the code be under a GPL compatible license for inclusion in ROS.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Good job, you can clearly do more than I can (i've only just tried experimenting with GUI design) :P

But I think some conditions before it's considered a real candidate for reactos image viewer:

Source needs to be GPL compatible
Icons needs to be changed so they use the icons from shell32
Needs zoom/rotate etc
Interface would need a bit of spit and polish (shouldn't -demand- to be associated with images, and the bit about ReactOS 2.5 in the window title is unnecessary...)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

As good as this may be, It shouldn't be included in ros as it's incorrect in it's design.

The 'Windows Image and Fax Viewer' is actually part of the shell, not a seperate process. It's implementation lies in shimgvw.dll.

I have a basic layout of this dll on my harddisk, I've just not got round to fully implementing it yet.
We should implement it this way for compatability reasons. There may be some software out there which relies on the API this dll exports to load images.
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

it's only a easy external application ros compatible. nothing more.
just a simple ... experiment.
:)
etko

Post by etko »

cute gf :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

etko: i second:>
kevintrooper

Re:

Post by kevintrooper »

Very nice! I just tried it. It works Great. The problem is the ICONS! If this is going into ReactOS, I would like to Help. For Example, with the Icons!
ironek69

Re: I wrote a small image viewer...

Post by ironek69 »

It looks like REALLY early version. Selecting about windows will close whole program, I can't see what filetypes it supports, and finally it's freeware, not GPL, as it should be... But good luck with next versions.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

This viewer is a pretty good idea! But there are things that need to be added before this can be considered an official ROS viewer choice (i'd even use it on Windows as a viewer if it has the right features :) )

- First of all, it needs to read the mousewheel for fast scrolling of images up/down inside the directory. " + " and " - " on the NumPad to zoom in/out is a bonus.
- Second, it should have a little menu that can choose file associations so that it's not so intrusive.
- Third, the user should be able to choose whether to open images in a new window or the same window.
- Fourth, a little bug - when you look at the About window, if you want to close it, it closes the entire program.
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

no more version of the image viewer...

now i'm writing a antivirus for ROS/Win32 ..

thx to all for the replies :)
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

WHAT? At least replace the icons and take of the ReactOS 0.25. Please. I think this could go somewhere.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Davy Bartoloni wrote:no more version of the image viewer...

now i'm writing a antivirus for ROS/Win32 ..
1.] Too bad, if there isn't a new version with those "simple" adjustments, it won't be added.
2.] If you're writing an antivirus, I hope it's GPL, otherwise it won't be bundled into ROS, not that it would be bundled anyway since OSes normally don't come with an anti-virus program in the first place.

Unless your goal was to just see it be semi-accepted so people could add it later rather than have it bundled.