ReactOS in Bochs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fdwhacker

ReactOS in Bochs

Post by fdwhacker »

Why did the developers remove Bochs as an option to test ReactOS after 2.4? That is one of the best emus out there (free and open-source!). Bochs also runs on quite a few platforms. This doesn't make any sense! I like Bochs, but getting ReactOS setup is a pain. I can never get it to load the ISO CD image for the installer. Please tell me why, and PLEASE PUT REACTOS 0.3.4 IN A BOCHS VM SO WE DON'T HAVE TO!
fdwhacker

Re: ReactOS in Bochs

Post by fdwhacker »

One small revision, I just downloaded some tools to make HD images for Bochs. They may fix my problem, but it still would be nice if you offered a pre-packed version of ReactOS with Bochs.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Bochs isn't provided because the majority of devs don't use it for testing purposes. The only instance in recent memory of a dev using it was KJK when he wrote poison pill code to search for memory overwrites.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

fdwhacker wrote: Why did the developers remove Bochs as an option to test ReactOS after 2.4? That is one of the best emus out there (free and open-source!).
QEMU works much faster and (free and open-source!) as well.

On the other hand, Bochs is more precise. Some bugs were found thanks to it.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

From 0.1.0 on, ReactOS released with every release a preloaded in bochs version. After a short while releasing both a bochs version and an qemu version (0.2.3 and 0.2.4), they have switched to qemu completely (0.2.5 and beyond). So it is safe to say they have considered bochs and switched to qemu because they like it better.

And because qemu works without problems (at least with me), is quite fast and is also free and open source, I don't see any reason to switch back to bochs.
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

It doesn't work 9x-based OS's, though. I wanted to try it out after the Live CD wouldn't load ROS (but 0.2.4 in Bochs worked! :) )
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

I have tried QEMU on XP, and it is EXTREMLY fast, but Bochs actually has somewhat of a GUI.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

There are quite a few 3d party GUIs for QEMU too ..
Just need to find them ;)
Regards GreyGhost
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You dont need GUI to run QEMU, as a set of premade batch files can cover all your usual qemu setups.
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

I know. I've used QEMU on XP, and is AWESOME! I just wish that you would provide some other free virtualization software preloaded with ROS.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

fdwhacker wrote:I know. I've used QEMU on XP, and is AWESOME! I just wish that you would provide some other free virtualization software preloaded with ROS.
Why? Why waste the time of developers while QEMU works awesome? (you said so yourself)

Perhaps it is a good idea to make a Bochs build yourself, upload it to some file upload site and share it here for the other Bochs fans here.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy,

a little word.. try out virtualbox.org, it's more as enoug good for let run VMashins in all know and worked
Systems, Virtualbox is now supporting by Sun, befor was it programming by
a little Factory by Stuttgart/Germany. Virtualbox is realy good and run very good in
the most systems...

best regards
Blacky