Instant messaging software

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GMC

Instant messaging software

Post by GMC »

Hello again

I found this great GNU GPL instant messenger called "aMSN" (http://www.amsn-project.net/).
[ external image ]
Here is a description from their homepage:
aMSN is a free open source MSN Messenger clone, with features such as:

* Offline Messaging
* Voice Clips
* Display pictures
* Custom emoticons
* Multi-language support (around 40 languages currently supported)
* Webcam support
* Sign in to more than one account at once
* Full-speed File transfers
* Group support
* Normal, and animated emoticons with sounds
* Chat logs
* Timestamping
* Event alarms
* Conferencing support
* Tabbed chat windows

It also supports plugins and themes and I think it would be a great addition to ReactOS.

I hope you like.

Bye for now.
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Instant messaging software

Post by Z98 »

It may be considered for inclusion in the Download list if it isn't already there, but this application is not written in C or C++ so it cannot be considered for inclusion with the base set of applications, even if an IM client is part of the default Windows install.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Oh! I know! You could make a distro with it included right on the setup!

FlyingIsFun1217
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Why not use Pidgin like Ubuntu flavors? I like Pidgin because it isn't bulky (IE: Webcam, voice chat, smilies, etc. is bulky IMO.)
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

If
GMC wrote:Hello again

I found this great GNU GPL instant messenger called "aMSN" (http://www.amsn-project.net/)

(snip)

Bye for now.
results in
FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Oh! I know! You could make a distro with it included right on the setup!

FlyingIsFun1217
then
Iyeru wrote:Why not use Pidgin like Ubuntu flavors? I like Pidgin because it isn't bulky (IE: Webcam, voice chat, smilies, etc. is bulky IMO.)
also results in
FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Oh! I know! You could make a distro with it included right on the setup!

FlyingIsFun1217
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Which results in:

"What if I don't know HOW to make a distro?"
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

A flame war! AHAHAHA!

FlyingIsFun1217
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Iyeru wrote:Which results in:

Other people will do. Alternately, you could grab it through Download!

Also:
FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:A flame war! AHAHAHA!

FlyingIsFun1217
It's not a flamewar, since no one has mentioned bundling Firefox yet.

Oh fu-
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:
Iyeru wrote:Which results in:

Other people will do. Alternately, you could grab it through Download!
I can't yet, I don't use emulation software, so I end up using the liveCD, which doesn't have USB Support. So I will just have to wait until 0.4 and/or 0.5
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Pidgin is written using Gtk, so it fails the "is written using the Windows API" requirement.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:Pidgin is written using Gtk, so it fails the "is written using the Windows API" requirement.
*facepalm* I forgot.

What about Mir--Oh wait, not enough updates and code bloat. Hrm, what about Tril--oh wait, not open-source/GPL. There's also Digsby--oh wait, it's not GPL/open-source either!

*sighs*

There's Ayttm.... Qnext is proprietary as well. SIM is also another choice (But I don't see any screens in plain view.)
noccy

Post by noccy »

Tbh, I have to put my vote into Pidgin as well, even though it's built on top of GTK. Most well known cross-platform open source software use GTK, such as Pidgin, Gimp, Inkscape, and others. And besides, most *nixes comes preloaded with it.

SIM is built on top of QT and resembles a complex version of ICQ more than a modern day IM client. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but for users who are used to nerfed messaging clients it might be a bit less obvious.

But still, don't just include some primitive MSN client. I have completely abandoned MSN for Jabber (which works excellent with both Pidgin, SIM, and many other multiprotocol messengers). Google figured out that it was worth putting effort into (GTalk), same with Facebook, quite a few µBlogs now share their feeds with other sites using Jabber (XMPP), and it's even being used in web-based and standalone games for data sharing and communication.

That doesn't mean I think MSN support should be excluded; just that if you add an IM client to ReactOS, make sure that it's a multiprotocol one. ReactOS is supposed to be more future than 1990, and MSN is just plain outdated.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

You don't have to use Pidgin, since InstantBird is out there, it's based on the Mozilla products; but it has no installer (meaning it runs and saves account data without installation atm), and the addons site for it is in the making still.

http://instantbird.com/

It uses the Gecko engine along with libpurple.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Except we have no criteria that says apps included in the base ROS or rosapps have to be cross platform. In fact, our requirements are directly counter to that. If it isn't written using the win32, it will not be considered no matter how popular it is.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:Except we have no criteria that says apps included in the base ROS or rosapps have to be cross platform. In fact, our requirements are directly counter to that. If it isn't written using the win32, it will not be considered no matter how popular it is.
Firefox isn't included then?