Will ReactOS run Linux apps?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BPsoftware

Will ReactOS run Linux apps?

Post by BPsoftware »

On Linux we can run windows apps with wine.
Will ReactOS be able to run Linux apps natively ???
RedmondXP.com, the Internet Resource for high professional Windows Shareware Software's and Tools
oiaohm

Re: Will ReactOS run Linux apps?

Post by oiaohm »

Depends on what you class as native.

colinux most likely will be got running in Reactos.

Building a complete posix and the structs linux applications will expect is a pain. I will not say it will never happen but I will say the odds of it happening are extremely rare.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

BPsoftware wrote:On Linux we can run windows apps with wine.
Will ReactOS be able to run Linux apps natively ???
Simply put:

If you mean "can I install software such as coLinux" then yes, since anything that works on Windows NT will work on ReactOS.

If you mean "will ReactOS itself have support for Linux apps" then the answer is no, since ReactOS is aimed at cloning Windows NT, not UNIX. If you want to run Windows and UNIX apps under one OS, then you want either Linux+WINE or E/OS.

Also, before anyone suggests that "ReactOS could be more than just Windows so why not make it support UNIX stuff as well", please remember that:

A) This has been suggested before.
B) CORRECTION SO I WON'T GET SUED FOR SLANDER: SOME OF the developers hate Linux.
C) It would take time and effort which could, instead, be spent on making ReactOS more Windows compatible. Which is, you know, the whole point of the project.

You could dual boot ReactOS and *NIX. Or run *NIX in a VM such as QEMU or VMWare under ReactOS.
Last edited by GoBusto on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Gobusto, you shouldnt pass Ged`s opinion as the opinon of whole ROS team...
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Haos wrote:Gobusto, you shouldnt pass Ged`s opinion as the opinon of whole ROS team...
Apologies, Haos. I didn't intend to do that, and have thus edited my previous post slightly.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A blanket statement like "the devs hate Linux" isn't exactly accurate, since that only applies to Ged and a few others. Silverblade actually develops ROS on Linux, so yeah.

It's more of a "why bother" for the rest of the team. The most popular Linux apps tend to also have Windows ports and if you really want to run Linux apps, well, why aren't you running Linux in the first place? After all, ReactOS doesn't intend to be a universal operating system capable of running anything. Its goal is to clone Windows, and running Linux apps is not a requirement towards that goal.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Gobusto none of us have a crystal ball.

Reactos is a NT design os what is a subsystem designed OS. So yes in theory it can run other OS's programs by creating a subsystem as Windows NT use to do with OS/2 applications.

Does NT struct's suit running Linux/posix applications well no it does not. Lot of work would be required to make it work. Is the request imposable no its just doing it will cost a lot of resources to do what the reactos project really does not have spare.

Due to a Lot of Linux applications being able to run in colinux or are ported to windows native spending the time to make a subsystem to run them is way down the list compared to making core of Reactos run stable. Linux is basically in the same camp as the dos subsystem we have dosbox that can run all dos applications ok not as fast as the could be. So at this stage its not worth the time creating it.

Now if a developer appeared who was 100 percent stuck in there ways at making a dos or a linux subsystem work it might happen one day. Odds are just extremely long of either happening any time soon(being the next 5 years). I would have to say posix in windows without the adding complexities of Linux binaries is hard enough even that working as a subsystem in reactos anytime soon is a log shot.

Please learn to avoid blanket statements no GoBusto in time you can be wrong or worse block a developer from offering there time. Its far better to say highly unlikely or equal. More developers the better. No is valid when the idea is imposable.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I am very glad to hear, that ROS don't see supporting Linux apps, as a main goal.

These guys who need Linux Apps should RUN Linux !

When ROS continues the clear way that it is on, then I think - in my opion - it will come to publicity with a GREAT BIG BANG. Because more ingenious Computer User will install ROS instead of Linux, because Linux' "behaviuer" is prinicpially other than Windows.

Because there are a lot of Users out there, who can't make friends with ANY Linux-Distribution. Because they like the Windows Stil and they want to keep there applications.