Marketing :)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stilyan

Marketing :)

Post by stilyan »

Interested about the future of ROS?
How ROS will be better to Windows(Linux,BSD) to make people use it!
I am adressing users,not developers(who will say GPL && freedom).Having written Liux,BSD I don't think there will be any converters from these OSes to ROS(unless they can play games ,but that will be old games since Longhorn will be a very different animal=> the games development fot it).So i suppose there will be potential Windows users trying ROS.And why choose it?Maybe win2000 users will be too nervous with missing the microsoft service packs ,and pathces ,so maybe win2000 users,but that will be 2 years from now(i think in 2 years ROS will be enough stable and popular to switch).But what will they use win 2000 for 2 years more ,and then switch to a win2000 clone?Maybe too impossible...
Maybe Developers will switch?NO!There is not a working ROS IDE,and win32 will be unsupported very soon.(.Net comes ahead) so developers won't like to learn(or continue programming) for a dieing platform...
Maybe win98,95,Me users?Yes they will see the stability of the NT.I hope there are enough of these people now,but how much won't be tempted buying an low price XP Home?
I can't find yet a reason for people to use ROS in the future,so i think it must mature very fast
,and so the innovation to take place it this os ,or it will be (sadly) an abondend project.
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

EDIT: removed, sorry if i was not polite to you.
Last edited by Baldomero on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilyan

:)

Post by stilyan »

I want to see ROS become usable enough to install it ,browse with kmeleon ,play warcraft,use eclipse ,and play movies...Writing here is my contribution to ROS.I make discussion on how ROS will grow up to that point.
Gedi

Re: Marketing :)

Post by Gedi »

stilyan wrote:IHaving written Liux,BSD I don't think there will be any converters from these OSes to ROS
I have used and developed Linux all my life (well since I was about 15) and here I am

/me waves.
stilyan

:)

Post by stilyan »

Of course there are all sort of ROS users,but better somebodi make a poll.What operating system am I using writing to ROS forum?

windows95
windows 98
windows nt
windows2000
windowsXP
Longhorn :)
Linux
BSDs
SkyOS
MacOS X
BeOS
ReactOS
maybe I miss some?

I write from Linux.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Gedi wrote:
stilyan wrote:IHaving written Liux,BSD I don't think there will be any converters from these OSes to ROS
I have used and developed Linux all my life (well since I was about 15) and here I am

/me waves.
Same with me, and I have also used MacOS 7.5 -10.3, and windows 3.1-2003
Stead

Post by Stead »

stilyan wrote:Interested about the future of ROS?
How ROS will be better to Windows(Linux,BSD) to make people use it!
I am adressing users,not developers(who will say GPL && freedom).Having written Liux,BSD I don't think there will be any converters from these OSes to ROS(unless they can play games ,but that will be old games since Longhorn will be a very different animal=> the games development fot it).So i suppose there will be potential Windows users trying ROS.And why choose it?Maybe win2000 users will be too nervous with missing the microsoft service packs ,and pathces ,so maybe win2000 users,but that will be 2 years from now(i think in 2 years ROS will be enough stable and popular to switch).But what will they use win 2000 for 2 years more ,and then switch to a win2000 clone?Maybe too impossible...
Maybe Developers will switch?NO!There is not a working ROS IDE,and win32 will be unsupported very soon.(.Net comes ahead) so developers won't like to learn(or continue programming) for a dieing platform...
Maybe win98,95,Me users?Yes they will see the stability of the NT.I hope there are enough of these people now,but how much won't be tempted buying an low price XP Home?
I can't find yet a reason for people to use ROS in the future,so i think it must mature very fast
,and so the innovation to take place it this os ,or it will be (sadly) an abondend project.
umb, isn't linux based on an outdated os? i'm almost certain unix was around before windows 2000, but people still use linux, or am i missing the point somewhat?
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Stead wrote:umb, isn't linux based on an outdated os? i'm almost certain unix was around before windows 2000, but people still use linux, or am i missing the point somewhat?
Solaris is still used, but its almost at the end of its days. So, yeah, they are obsolite, just like windows 95. Linux made unix better, Reactos will do the same. (and are you being sarcastic just like the post in the trash forum...)
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Stead wrote:umb, isn't linux based on an outdated os? i'm almost certain unix was around before windows 2000, but people still use linux, or am i missing the point somewhat?
Why do you compare Windows 2000 with UNIX ? You either have to compare Linux with Windows or Unix with Dos.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
mf
Developer

Re: :)

Post by mf »

stilyan wrote:Of course there are all sort of ROS users,but better somebodi make a poll.What operating system am I using writing to ROS forum?
No poll needed. Someone can just grep the webserver logs for reactos.com/forum :).
GvG

Post by GvG »

...except that we didn't have a need to register the User-Agent before so we don't....
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »

umb, isn't linux based on an outdated os? i'm almost certain unix was around before windows 2000, but people still use linux, or am i missing the point somewhat?
is dos 1.0 outdated? yes
is linux 1.0 outdated? yes
is win 2003 outdated? no
is linux 2.6.11.7 outdated? no
now what do you think win 2003 is based on? some mysterious technology an alien dropped here?

BTW: linux users and reactOS fans +1 :)
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

baldomero wrote:There are reasons to a lot of people to use ROS in the future. Obviously you have not everybody included in your post, at least I'm not in any of your examples.

If you want contribute, if not don't waste your time.
Nice, hostile, post with no arguments, just denial. That's the way to do it. This is certaily the way ROS will attract more people...

No. You are wrong. Go away."
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

crappish wrote:
baldomero wrote:There are reasons to a lot of people to use ROS in the future. Obviously you have not everybody included in your post, at least I'm not in any of your examples.

If you want contribute, if not don't waste your time.
Nice, hostile, post with no arguments, just denial. That's the way to do it. This is certaily the way ROS will attract more people...

No. You are wrong. Go away."
Yes, you're right, I misunderstood the initial message, so I posted that.
I'm sorry Stilyan, and sorry if I started some flame war :oops:

EDIT:: Don't tell me to go away.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Dr. Fred wrote:You either have to compare Linux with Windows or Unix with Dos.
I don't agree with that.

Linux is supposed to be a free, opensource Unix derivative and Linux wasn't made to be a GUI system (it has FreeX86 with window managers on top of that). I think putting unix and linux side-by-side is valid (commercial vs. opensource/free).

(and as far as I know, wasn't DOS supposed to be a quick and dirty implementation of an OS that was supposed to be unix-like? ie, commandline) In much as you'd compare windows to reactos (commercial vs. opensource/free).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia