Wild idea: A ReactOS GAME

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

I think that a good way to make a Reacty side scroller/platformer game would be to use Super Tux for the Code base.

http://supertux.berlios.de/

What do you all think about this?

<Edit> Just noticed it's already on the wiki page... LoL</Edit>
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Super Tux is a nice project to base the code on.

One thing that would be great, however, would be a higher graphics level. I think it should be (at the very least) a 800x600 screen with full 32-bit color (larger sprites), with more advanced effects such as alpha blending. It would make the game a lot more playable in my opinion.

Of course, I value good artwork, gameplay and quality over mere resolution, but I don't think it would hurt too much to increase the gfx level a few notches.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Sami

Post by Sami »

I added a poll for your favourite ReactOS game.
Check it out...

:P
Viator

Post by Viator »

it would be cool if reacty would move like Meatwad from the aqua-teen hunger force kinda just roll but his face is always showing :P

heres a game (not usable for this concept) that has meatwad and the others kinda fun
http://www.adultswim.com/games/athf_moo ... index.html
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I remember a game called taxman that got me excited about using Apple IIe's. The game could be further developed along the lines that there are four viral hackers (red, green, yellow, blue) running around a mixed network of ring, bus, and star topologies, lined with money. As the hackers moved around the network they'd try to steal as much money as possible along the way. The hackers would corrupt workstations in each ring and if they got to them all they'd own the local gateway to the ring. And inside other rings would be servers, the main target of the hackers. Once all the servers were tainted then they'd all meet at the domain controller to collect their fame and count their fortune.

Reactie would run around the same network in a quest to liberate as much money as possible. At the same time he'd have to install firewalls and eat the viruii from each tainted workstation. If the entire ring was cleared then Reactie would have a chance to reach the gateway firsthand (before the hackers) and install a firewall to lock out any more viral penetrations. Once a firewall was installed the ring would be impossible to reinfect. Eventually the network would be secured to a point where it was entirely locked down and free of hackers, in which case they'd all get busted and hauled off to a jail. There would be times when Reactie would have to decide whether to install his last firewall and leave other servers infected to end the round, or to leave one unpatched in a bid to rescue more. Reactie would get a bonus per dollar saved.

Rather than clone all the viral hackers, each could have its own personality and strengths. And instead of all four every round, there would be just one at a time to build up to more than one at a time and the action develops as they begin to team up against Reactie. In this way small networks and then eventually with each round much larger networks could be used.
Go Huskers!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Wizard of wor

Post by Jaix »

My altime favorite game is the Wizard of Wor, it's just soooo nice!

I think it's an arcade game, but I first played it on c64.

Now I play it through MAME in both win32 and my Nokia6600, I love it!

Wizard of Wor is a PacMan with guns :D not too violent and very addictive.
Here is a game info page Wizard Of Wor
[ external image ]

How about making a ReactOS clone with Reacty as main character?
Viator

Post by Viator »

In some respect many of the developers of react os could be considered "hackers".

Reacty should instead HELP the hackers/developers to free the end users from monopolistic corporate lockdown and the end result would be a system free of bugs virus spyware etc....

microsoft = darkside of the source (code) =closed
Reacty = the otherside =open
yin and yang
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I personally don't think that the game should be about bashing other OS' or software licenses. I think it would give ReactOS a childish and immature image that it certainly doesn't deserve.
I would prefere a positive message much more.
RomanH
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

viator wrote:In some respect many of the developers of react os could be considered "hackers".

Reacty should instead HELP the hackers/developers to free the end users from monopolistic corporate lockdown and the end result would be a system free of bugs virus spyware etc....

yin and yang
These days you have to start calling them crackers cause net kids all want to be 'hackers' cause then they could say they were the best. Then people cracking programs so they ran without the cd wanted to be called crackers and so on...

But I think that idea would bring a lot of unwanted attention.
Jaix
Moderator Team

No yin & gang crapp!

Post by Jaix »

yin and yang
No Yin & Yang crap!

Edit: removed one p in crap. and woops, I didn't get the joke sorry.
Last edited by Jaix on Sun May 01, 2005 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Jaix the bottom part was a joke .....kinda, and is not somthing i would want written into a game. Isn't there one p in crap? :P
Viator

Post by Viator »

Also is reacty the best name? Maybe you could come up with a better name.
I dont have any suggestions at the moment .
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

I don't think it should be too anti-ms. That would not give a very positive image of ReactOS in general.
Interesting metaphorism.
Also is reacty the best name? Maybe you could come up with a better name.
Well. the name of 'Reacty' was actually proposed in another thread in this forum sometime back (i don't remember the link). Someone thought up Reacty as a sort of mascot for ReactOS. Nobody has come up with any other names for him/her/it AFAIK. You are free to give your own suggestions as to what Reacty should be called.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
frik85
Developer

ReactOS Stunt Racer

Post by frik85 »

Stunts is a 3D racing game, with simple CGA/EGA/VGA graphics and no texture or smooth shading, but because of the spectacular stunts (loopings, bridges to jump over, etc.) it was really fun to play. One of the best aspects of this game is that it had a track editor. Because of the tile-based tracks, every gamer was able to make it's own tracks.
I add my ideas about such a game to the wiki page.

There is a open source variant called Ultimate Stunts http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/ available (Win32, Linux, etc.). So it will be easy to add some artwork ... :wink:
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

My idea is the following:

A side and top/bottom scrolling jump n run.
Maybe Reacty as the main character.
His task is to clear computers from viruses, worms, trojans and bugs.

- Every level is build of one or more sub levels, wich represent the parts of a computer system (fdd, hdd, cd, ram, etc.)

- You can go from one sub level to another through a "bus". Maybe you have to go through it and take care not to be hitten by data-packets.

- In every sub level there are some viruses,... wich have to be killed.

- To kill them you need proper "guns". You can find gun-upgrades on flopy, cd or from internet.

- if you don't have the right gun, you can also hack them. (small game in the game: you have a couple of electrons, wich you can shoot at the right circuits to get control over the virus - like in paradroid - then you get a gun for this kind of virus)

- Bugs just sit somewhere in the system, but can kill you.

- The viruses, worms and trojans can move through the sub levels and even between them, so you have to pay attention to clean everything.

- Worms can split up in two.

- Viruses sit in files. But they can emit mobile things, wich infect other files.

- The first level may be a single floppy disk (somehing with round outlines and some files on it) Reacty has to clean the infected files.

- Higher levels may be computers with harddisk and cd drive. Then maybe a workgroup with several computers. And then computers with internet-connection (task may be to clean the computer and then setup a firewall.)

- Maybe the end level is a MS Windows Domain ;-)

Does anyone know the c64 game "impossible mission"? That was great!