Wild idea: A ReactOS GAME

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sami

Wild idea: A ReactOS GAME

Post by Sami »

ReactOS -game :idea:

I think ReactOS should have own game 8) . A simple 2d game, maybe something like Xbill could be cool. The game project should be different project and it should not take time from main developers of ReactOS. When the game is ready it could (or could not) be included in ReactOS. But the more interesting thing here is that everyone can run the game in Windows too and if they have never hear about ReactOS, after they have played the game they could be interested in the ReactOS -project. So the motivation of the game project is to promote ReactOS. The game should give positive impression of ReactOS, so it should not be too agressive against MS.

Here is some guidelines for the game project:
  • -<story and category of the game> (give your ideas)
    -<name of the game> (give your ideas)
    -Addictive story (you would want to play it forever)
    -GPL
    -Fast project, not too complex game (6 to 12 months?)
    -Positive promotion for ReactOS included in the game (not too agressive against MS)
    -Works in both Windows and ReactOS (this should be easy)
    -Should not take time from ReactOS developers (people who have not kernel skills could contribute)
Anyone give your feedback and also tell me if you are willing to start such a project.
I do not have time for starting such a project, I am more like throwing ideas here.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Nice idea :)
Sami

Post by Sami »

patchworks wrote: ...er.... do you know SourceForge ?

http://www.sf.net
Yes, maybe we grab the basecode from one of the projects in sf.net. That could give us fast start for the project. But first we have to discuss what do we want to do (story, category, name, how we promote ReactOS in the game,...).
Sami

Post by Sami »

I started wiki -page for the game, so we can brainstorming there.
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Game

Anyone are invited to contribute :P
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

well, i'm a beginner coder (like, just past cout << "hello world";), and make maps for war2, war3, quake2, and quake3. maybe something with the stratagus or crystal space engine? or maybe even the cube engine?
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Sami

Post by Sami »

Hi Floyd, jump into wiki and give your suggestions :)
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Are you thinking game as in Game or just ROS's own Space Academy (pinball) or such?

If you're going for Game:
Personally, I would go for ready famework, i.e. Crimsonland's. 2D would definately be the one to go for as it requires lot less hassle hence the chance of actually finishing the project increases dramatically.

Another approach could be 3D game but from birdseye perspective, as it lowers the detail required for the objectives.

However. First step would be to have an idea of amount of possible game dev's we have here.
We would need at least two programmers (C/C++, OOP), two 3D-artists (optional, depends of the type of the game and the level of graphics) and two 2D/texture artists.
Also the project would need head coordinator and designer.

The way I see it, this core group should then set up it's private dev-center, make the first revision of the game (kind of public beta), gather some ideas from public, decide which are usable and stamp them on the design and go behind the closed doors again, to finish the project.
The most importatnt thing is that when in development the design does not change or has as minimal changes as possible. Hence the closed doors/private dev-center. This is cruicial if the project aims finish at any time.. this year.
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
Sami

Post by Sami »

crappish wrote:Are you thinking game as in Game or just ROS's own Space Academy (pinball) or such?
I think it should be separate project, so that it would not take resurses from ReactOS project. Later when the game is ready it can be included to ReactOS, if the developer of ReactOS want to. But it should also stay as separate project, so that people could install and run it in Windows.
crappish wrote:Personally, I would go for ready famework, i.e. Crimsonland's. 2D would definately be the one to go for as it requires lot less hassle hence the chance of actually finishing the project increases dramatically.

Another approach could be 3D game but from birdseye perspective, as it lowers the detail required for the objectives.
I would also go for ready 2D framework, we need that for fast project.
crappish wrote:However. First step would be to have an idea of amount of possible game dev's we have here.
We would need at least two programmers (C/C++, OOP), two 3D-artists (optional, depends of the type of the game and the level of graphics) and two 2D/texture artists.
Also the project would need head coordinator and designer.

The way I see it, this core group should then set up it's private dev-center, make the first revision of the game (kind of public beta), gather some ideas from public, decide which are usable and stamp them on the design and go behind the closed doors again, to finish the project.
The most importatnt thing is that when in development the design does not change or has as minimal changes as possible. Hence the closed doors/private dev-center. This is cruicial if the project aims finish at any time.. this year.
I just came up with this idea. There is lot of things to discuss about before actually starting to code. Anyone with any ideas please feel free to jump into wiki and contribute :)

http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Game
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »

i think the reactos logo or our mascot "reacty" should be some way included in this game...
i remember an old game where you had to control atoms and electrons but i don't remember what i was supposed to do with them ;)
but perhaps it was something like this: http://www.blueknot.com/BlackBox/

in any case i think "addictive" is the keyword
there is no need for a complex 2D or 3D graphic engine if the game is as easy to learn and play as tetris, minesweeper or pacman
although it should be quite hard to master it (just like those i mentioned)
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I would suggest the following characteristics for a game that comes bundled with an OS
- simple controls
- addictivity
- a game for "casual gamers"

and I just so happen to have been working on a game that fits (or should fit) that description. :D
http://www.romanhoegg.ch/Ballgame_Beta.zip
(The gameplay idea is taken from the arcade game UoPoko.)

Best of all is - as it is SDL-based - it already "nearly" runs on ReactOS (except for "key input") I'd be more than willing to donate the source code of the game as free software. I haven't released it yet because the game is far from being finnished. However, if you think it's rubbish that's ok, too. :)

EDIT: you need to press ENTER to start and the DOWN KEY to pull the trigger.
RomanH
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Something like Kpat would be nice.
Stead

Post by Stead »

i just had a quick go at that game, i can see that becoming very addictive!

seems pretty cool to me, just make it look a bit cleaner and less pixely i guess? maybe put in the little atom logo someware along the line, well i'm impressed anyway!
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I liked that game, reminds me of Bust a move (puzzle bobble).

A few suggestions:

* I don't think the mouse pointer should be hidden in windowed mode.
* You can't close the game by clicking the X
* Maybe move the 'next color' indicator a bit.. I got confused sometimes which the next and the current were.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

I don't think we have the resources to write from scratch.
We already have minesweeper and solitare so that's a nice start.

However it would be easy to port a popular, simple Linux game. It must be licenced under the GPL. I personally think Frozen Bubble and Tux Racer would make nice additions, and I think they may already have been ported.