Which programs are planned to be included by default?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

J-GnXT

Which programs are planned to be included by default?

Post by J-GnXT »

Which kind of applications will be part (on-board) of ReactOS?
I already read about a defragmentation program, Firewall and some other programs that are going to be incorporated.
But what is about other programs like a media player or a calendar?
Is there already a list?

Thanks!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Which programs are planned to be included by default?

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..let´s see.. the main goal of this project isnt incorporating Apps to Reactos, but creating a OS where all Windows Apps works perfectly.
That means that ReactOS is packed with the basics to make any win app works in it.
Our coders wont lose time coding Apps(which u can download from the Net) but coding basics which makes that Apps works.
LRN

Post by LRN »

It is expected that there will be a number of different ReactOS distributions. Look at Linux - there is Linux Kernel Project, and each distribution has that kernel, but other than that they are different.
Of course, ReactOS will be a bit more consistent - it *has* to match Windows as close as possible regardless of distribution.
But pre-packaged applications will be completely distribution-dependent. IMHO.

Whatever ReactOS will have by default, it should be (and probably will be) very simplistic - barely functioning. Web browser - just good enough to find and download a replacement (it's still unknown whether it will be possible to install IE on ReactOS or not, since IE's degree of system integration is high). File manager - just to perform basic file operations (it will never be anything better than Windows Explorer). Simple calculator (it's already in place). Probably no image viewer (i can't imagine an application that would need it). No media player either (though media API should be in place, and ReactX is in development, which means ReactShow filters for audio and video playback). Remote Desktop client/server.
Just review the c:\windows\system32\ contents - most of these should made it into ReactOS. Again, that's MHO.
J-GnXT

Post by J-GnXT »

Thanks for your responses!
Well..let´s see.. the main goal of this project isnt incorporating Apps to Reactos, but creating a OS where all Windows Apps works perfectly.
That means that ReactOS is packed with the basics to make any win app works in it.
Our coders wont lose time coding Apps(which u can download from the Net) but coding basics which makes that Apps works.
I am aware of this, but that wasn't my question. I just wanted to know which programs are planned to be part of ReactOS, nothing else. :)
And am also not only talking about coding new apps from scratch.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well,if u understand my sentence then i dont understand ur question:
J-GnXT wrote:Which kind of applications will be part (on-board) of ReactOS?
Right now we have calc.exe,Winepad.exe,winemine.exe,sol.exe... (among other apps ) and ".exe OS" apps (as CMD.exe,taskmanager.exe,explorer.exe,etc..)
*Winepad.exe,winemine.exe,sol.exe and such...hasnt been created by our devs(AFAIK)...most comes from Wine.
*Our Devs are developing ".exe OS" apps.(=EXE´s that are really needed to make ReactOS working as Windows)

Firewall apps, Defragmentation apps,and other non-esencial apps wont be developed since you can find open source freeware options in the NET.(The "Why coding an app that u can find in the Net?" statement).Our Downloader! will be updated with links to them,as Linux does.

ReactOS loves to be slim...and the user will choose which apps he wants to install..(The "Dont force user to use an specific app.He will choose which one fits better for his daily use"statement)..so it should come almost nude.

Then some ReactOS distros will appear,and people will pack/create specific apps/design.But the basic will be a ReactOS almost nude.

I indeed would delete the sol.exe,winemine.exe and other non useful apps from that "Reactos almost nude".
fred02

Post by fred02 »

To copycat :) Blackcrack from the USB thread
may be this thread should (also) be pinned next to "Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS "
vicmarcal wrote:I indeed would delete the sol.exe,winemine.exe and other non useful apps from that "Reactos almost nude".
Make this two :mrgreen:
dhasenan

Post by dhasenan »

Realistically, in order to allow a person to download what they need from the net, you need a network manager and a web browser. The network manager has to be at least partly specific to ReactOS; it probably doesn't make sense to try porting an existing one. Open source web browsers exist, obviously.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

dhasenan wrote:Realistically, in order to allow a person to download what they need from the net, you need a network manager and a web browser. The network manager has to be at least partly specific to ReactOS; it probably doesn't make sense to try porting an existing one. Open source web browsers exist, obviously.
You can already download everything you need, including web browsers, using the Download! application.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Network Manager" - could you elaborate, please?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well right now ReactOS can connect without problems to the Net using some Network cards: you can choose your IP,DNS,manual,automatic...
And talking about Browsers...you can install any browser.Including a browser inside ReactOS will be as bad as Microsoft does while including by default Internet Explorer. Anyway it's supposed people will begin creating Distros with apps included.So they will decide which apps are going to be included(as Linux Distros does).

ReactOS really is a project which recreates a NT architecture to allow programs running.It means coding Subsystems,Kernel,and such...User apps wont be added by ReactOS team but added by Distros Team.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Well, ROS will have to add something similar to the HTML rendering engine that is embedded into Windows, as without it a lot of applications will fail, not to mention that CHM files and such can not be displayed. This functionality is part of the Windows API and provided by Internet Explorer in Windows (its rendering engine at least).
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

Elledan wrote:Well, ROS will have to add something similar to the HTML rendering engine that is embedded into Windows, as without it a lot of applications will fail, not to mention that CHM files and such can not be displayed. This functionality is part of the Windows API and provided by Internet Explorer in Windows (its rendering engine at least).

Yes, yes, yes... But windows comes with media player, internet explorer, 1 or 2 games and some other things by default. If users are moving from windows, they should not get the shock of lack of these apps. So i think VLC (or similar), and the latest version of firefox should be included. Plus, all the windows accessory equivalents.. paint, sound recorder, and wordpad.

I think this would be reasonable... but nothing else. Unless we make "Home", "Business" and "Ultimate" editions (sort of like a cross between vista and XP). Then this would be selective.

If the user wants a completely nude install( like is possible on windows 9x)... they will select it when they install it!