Wishing those pragram will run well on Reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eferz

Wishing those pragram will run well on Reactos

Post by eferz »

I do wish that following internet cafe need progams will run well on Reactos (next Reactos 5.0) :
Direect X : Min : 9.0c
YM 7
Camfrog 5.1
Mozilla Firefox 3.0
Billing Explorer 2007
Transtool/TransXp
Nokia PC Sweet
Gameonline
mirc 6.21
Winamp
Reg Cleaner, CC Cleaner
Be Twin/Pc Cloning/PC Station/PC Net
FlashPlayer 10
Avira Antivir /AVG/Kaspersky
Deep Freeze
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Wishing those pragram will run well on Reactos

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh, he wants those applications to run in ROS, not trying to develop an application and compiling it into the ISO.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

If you're a business, we might be happy to help on condition on some sort of monetary incentive, since the devs are all poor on time resources and have other things to attend to, such as day jobs. There are also other priorities as well, such as fixing the broken FAT32 driver and implementing a USB stack. The first thing you -could- do however which would not incur any expense would be to provide URLs to the less well known software you have listed, namely

YM7
Camfrog 5.1
Billing Explorer 2007
Transtool/TransXp
Gameonline
Be Twin/Pc Cloning/PC Station/PC Net

(Deep Freeze is searchable, just Wikipedia'd it.)
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Ahahaha. Start helping code the stuff then ;)

Requests aren't taken very well around here, because frankly, it's a spare time project, and they aren't doing it for you.

FlyingIsFun1217
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Ahahaha. Start helping code the stuff then ;)

Requests aren't taken very well around here, because frankly, it's a spare time project, and they aren't doing it for you.

FlyingIsFun1217
Unless there is money involved, of course ;)
FlyingIsFun1217

Money always helps, yes ;)
Aape

Post by Aape »

I think the whole "Don't request things, we aren't entitled to do anything for you!" isn't healthy for any project, especially an OSS one.

But sadly, ROS is still in alpha, and so many things are broken at the lower levels that it's just not feasible to work at getting specific, user-level applications to work properly (and with improvements at the system level, improvements at the user level will naturally come). If you just need to run a few specific Windows apps, then maybe Wine is more for you.

However, if you have a genuine interest in improving ROS as an FLOSS alternative to the entire Windows system, then submit bug reports, with detailed debugging information. If you don't know how to do this, then ask. Plenty of people here would be very willing to help you out.
FlyingIsFun1217

Aape wrote:I think the whole "Don't request things, we aren't entitled to do anything for you!" isn't healthy for any project, especially an OSS one.
Yet with a project as this, where the technical challenges to overcome are immensely great, it is that way. It's not to say that user input is not accepted at all (no, any project would fail if that were the case), it's to say that people who come to the forums, and say, "I'd like program x and y to work, thanks" will be highly disappointed.

FlyingIsFun1217
Aape

Post by Aape »

I *said* that...

What's sad is you often see that mentality ("Submit a patch or go fuck yourself!") in other OSS projects that are perfectly capable of handling user input...
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

That said, pushback is a common feature in any project, even commercial ones. It is often good practice to not overpromise and underdeliver, and that includes entertaining feature requests that you're not certain of implementing.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:people who come to the forums, and say, "I'd like program x and y to work, thanks" will be highly disappointed.
The correct way to do this is to say: "I'd like program x and y to work, but they don't. Have a bug report."