Why don't we add a Japanese font to ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote:I think it was already discussed… Do you have some other suggestions?
Does Systema font look large?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: Why don't we add a Japanese font to ReactOS?

Post by Lone_Rifle »

The filesize still makes me favour Misaki.. hto, not sure why you didn't go for it =)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

sabiki wrote: Does Systema font look large?
IMHO, it looks good.
You're a Japanese user, so you should know better, which Japanese font to choose. ;)
Lone_Rifle wrote: The filesize still makes me favour Misaki.. hto, not sure why you didn't go for it =)
But it's so rough.

I am not sure why a font file should be added to the trunk. On release CD, on the other hand, file size is not very important, so it's not necessary to try to minimize it. I would first like to know what is the opinion of developers / testers before committing a file.

Now some digression. I see that many CJK fonts also include Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic letters. These alphabets have much in common, and font designers usually follow the same guidelines when designing letters for them. But it seems that CJK font designers hold another belief. That is what I mean:

[ external image ]

The words on every first line are written in Latin letters, on every second — in Cyrillic. There's a significant difference between them: while Latin is okay, Cyrillic often looks ugly.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

sabiki wrote:
Black_Fox wrote: Well, will then different languages of usetup use different fonts?
No. Maybe Japanese vga font is not included.
I just tried 1st stage setup. That's what I have come out (Misaki 8x8 font, some random Japanese text). I think that it looks too pale. Maybe some other font would be better?
sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

How about Izumi Bitmap font?
Anyway,can Kanji character be displayed?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Izumi has 16x16 glyphs. But 8x8 are needed. Scaling down will not help — the letter strokes will not become more thick after it.

I tried to search, but have not found such a font — 8x8 and bold. A way out is to draw letters myself.

Only katakana can be used.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Wouldnt we need Hiragana and some Kanjis too?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

EmuandCo wrote:Wouldnt we need Hiragana and some Kanjis too?
Quick question: How does first stage setup encode/display characters? Does it use ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16, etc. or does it use codepages? I'm guessing that it uses UTF-16 since that's what NT uses internally?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

USetup uses codepages… 8-bit subset of CP-932 is used for Japanese language. Halfwidth katakana (U+FF61–U+FF9F) has occupied the 0xA1–0xDF range. And VGA font for CP-932 from Microsoft also allows to display only these Japanese letters. As I don't speak this language, I don't know, how large this obstacle for Japanese people. I just consulted with my sister (she knows Japanese), and she says that it is no problem to read the katakana (just as to understand spoken language).
GoBusto

Re:

Post by GoBusto »

hto wrote:USetup uses codepages… 8-bit subset of CP-932 is used for Japanese language. Halfwidth katakana (U+FF61–U+FF9F) has occupied the 0xA1–0xDF range. And VGA font for CP-932 from Microsoft also allows to display only these Japanese letters. As I don't speak this language, I don't know, how large this obstacle for Japanese people. I just consulted with my sister (she knows Japanese), and she says that it is no problem to read the katakana (just as to understand spoken language).
Speaking as someone with a (limited, non-native) knowledge of the language, it's not really a problem. Hiragana and katakana can be thought of as being roughly analogous to upper and lower case in English. While it's nice to have both, you can get by with just one of them.

Kanji characters can be written using either hiragana or katakana characters instead. See http://www.kanjisite.com/html/wak/wak8.html
KanjiSITE wrote:There's nothing to stop you writing a kanji word (be it a compound, adjective or verb) entirely in hiragana - in fact, until you learn all the kanji you need, you won't have much choice.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Of course they can, but many normally wont in the real writing.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

GoBusto wrote: Kanji characters can be written using either hiragana or katakana characters instead.
The problem with using kana instead of kanji is that different kanji characters have identical kana representation. So Japanese poets can write verses with double and triple meaning. But it can be a problem in documents, where any ambiguity is undesirable.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

since when were you guys experts in Japanese!?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

hto wrote:The problem with using kana instead of kanji is that different kanji characters have identical kana representation. So Japanese poets can write verses with double and triple meaning. But it can be a problem in documents, where any ambiguity is undesirable.
some guy on the Internet wrote:In Japanese, the word for "server" is pronounced "saaba", while "saba" is the word for mackerel.
ReactOS: Fish Edition.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I am no expert, but my geek GF learns Japanese right now ;-)