Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GoBusto

Re: 0.3.9

Post by GoBusto »

nute wrote:Sound is supposed to sort of work in this release, but I haven't been able to get it working :-(

I followed the wiki and extracted ES1371_vmware.exe in c:\ReactOS, changed the vmx
file, rebooted a bunch of times, I tried the hardware wizard, still no dice...

Has anyone been able to get anything out of their sound card in ReactOS?
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =15#p57218
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

nute wrote:Sound is supposed to sort of work in this release, but I haven't been able to get it working :-(

I followed the wiki and extracted ES1371_vmware.exe in c:\ReactOS, changed the vmx
file, rebooted a bunch of times, I tried the hardware wizard, still no dice...

Has anyone been able to get anything out of their sound card in ReactOS?
Works in QEMU, VBOX and two real hardware machines, on AC97. I dont know if ES1371 was fixed to working state at that release.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

ROS freezes in VBox when stopping demo mp3 of Winamp 2.95, has someone also this issue? It also freezes when you click forward so that it jumps some seconds further.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Radhad wrote:ROS freezes in VBox when stopping demo mp3 of Winamp 2.95, has someone also this issue? It also freezes when you click forward so that it jumps some seconds further.
Wish I could help test that, but QEMU won't budge much when using ReactOS. CPU is always at like 99% or so, and everything is super slow, takes about 2+ minutes to select a menu item at times -_-

uTorrent wouldn't download through Download! so I had to use Firefox 3 (Which used up 60+% of the CPU, and caused it to go even slower.

ReactOS used like... 1 GB of RAM on my end alone using Firefox, etc. I'd love to check again, but getting the task manager to open took about 10 minutes. Double clicking My Documents, etc. on the desktop didn't open them, and Firefox said it would install a shortcut on the desktop, but it didn't appear (but when I told utorrent to, it did, but I had to refresh the desktop.)

This was on a 20 GB (atapi) partition in QEMU -_-
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Try to use KQEMU.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:Try to use KQEMU.
I had it set to "use kqemu with full virtualization."
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I run ReactOS in QEMU on 7 years old machine, it has 512 MB of RAM, 128 MB for ReactOS, and it is not very slow.
coldReactive

Re:

Post by coldReactive »

hto wrote:I run ReactOS in QEMU on 7 years old machine, it has 512 MB of RAM, 128 MB for ReactOS, and it is not very slow.
My machine (x86_64) is as follows:

AMD Phenom™ X3 8400 Triple-Core processor
* Each core operates at 2.1 GHz
* 2 MB L3 cache
* 3600 MHz system bus

AMD RS780 Chipset consisting of
* Northbridge: RS780
* Southbridge: SB700

RAM
* 6 GB (6144 MB) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (two 2048 MB and two 1024 MB modules)

Harddrive
* 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II hard drive

Audio/Video
* ATI HD 3200 Integrated (I believe with 256-512 MB of Video RAM)
* Integrated ALC888S HD audio codec 7.1

I have set qemu to give out 2047 MB of RAM (But it takes around 3 GB of RAM according to top; I have 16 GB Swap under Ubuntu 9.04, and I need this much RAM so I can run certain programs like full featured games that take up 200+ MB of RAM alone with one client.)

Windows XP Home Edition (x86) install takes about 3-6 hours to complete (With a COM+ Error during installation) in this qemu setup under Ubuntu 9.04. The OSDVD (Vista Home Premium x86_64) that came with my machine cannot install in qemu at all.

Edit: Finally finished installing XP (About 8-9 hours total) and now it can't start Windows XP, it just blue screens or freezes.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

It's interesting why QEMU is slow on that powerful machine. I sometimes run ReactOS in Bochs — it is slow but tolerable.

Firefox 3 is unstable in ReactOS. It already exposed many Win32k bugs.
coldReactive

Re:

Post by coldReactive »

hto wrote:It's interesting why QEMU is slow on that powerful machine. I sometimes run ReactOS in Bochs — it is slow but tolerable.

Firefox 3 is unstable in ReactOS. It already exposed many Win32k bugs.
I call this slow though, prepare to sitback and download a 42.1 MB OGV File (If I converted to AVI, MPG or MP4, it would've been MUCH bigger.)

http://coldreactive.deviantart.com/art/ ... -120728257

Make sure you read the description/artist's comments. It explains some things. This is after I used ReactOS-REL to install to the 20GB Image I had setup in qemu. Also note that the pagefile was defaulted to a strange number in the user set boxes. Trying to modify these, or set to system managed then hit the set button, then closing the virtual memory dialog then opening it back up causes it to show No page file is set.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

I don't know if the AC97 driver is intergrated into ReactOS, but it didn't work with the LiveCD. I'd try the installation, but it still locks up (like all older versions) while loading the installer. (no I can't debug it, I haven't the hardware)