Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

Post by nute »

How is the next major alpha release coming along? Will sound work in 0.3.9?
Will the scrolling bug in firefox be fixed? When will 0.4.0 come out?

It is April now, though I do realize that it could be the end of the month or later
before 0.3.9 sees the light of day.

What can be expected as far as networking is concerned?

What can be expected on the file system front?

Will log in support get fleshed out?

Any idea when newsletter 56 is coming out?
Ged
Developer

Re: 0.3.9

Post by Ged »

What's the air speed velocity of a fully laden swallow?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

What do you mean? African or European?

On the more serious side, newsletters come out usually in second half of the month (with exceptions) and answers to the rest of the questions are now partially in commit logs and after the release they will be completely in changelog.
dark

Post by dark »

I wanted to be the one to post the inevitable [reactos next release version] thread.
Black_Fox wrote:What do you mean? African or European?
the answer is 42
Black_Fox wrote:On the more serious side, newsletters come out usually in second half of the month (with exceptions) and answers to the rest of the questions are now partially in commit logs and after the release they will be completely in changelog.
It would be better to just speculate on things that will probably be in 0.3.0

[*]Steaming Sound
[*]Sound mixing?
[*]ftp from cmd works (Remember to type "bin" to download binary files)
[*]Lots of networking stuff.
etc...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well...a little bit Info for you...
The 0.3.9 release was dated for first April week.Right now there are a lot of improvements which explains its release...a little sumup..and i´m sure i´m forgetting a lot of stuff..so Devs sorry..:
1)Bug fixed in Pentium 1 and Pentium MMX...a Bug was fixed for these processors.
2) Ram consumption, thanks to Alex now ReactOS eats less memory, now 64Mb ram is enough to install Ros in Real Hardware.
3) CMD. Goplat had made an incredible work with CMD, now telnetd works...and RosBE is about/almost working inside ROS.
4) Network. Network is much more reliable. Aicom and Arty have been working so hard...race conditions has been fixed,and FF2 works astonishing. They are testing Network cards and they are fixing Bugs to make them work.
5) Graphics. Thanks to BTSoft and the most skilled Devs(who reviewed his work) a lot of Graphics bugs are fixed...of course there are a lot still happening...but..at lest 20 commits are about fixing graphic glitchs...
6) Music... Now you can listen music under AC97,of course it is the first time Music is working...so a lot of bugs are expected.But now you can hear something..which is an incredible work of Janderwald and Silverblade.
7) Jimtabor is rewritten something...yes something.. because he is moving code and putting it in the correct places, i think he´s preparing Ros for the Big message queue rewritte...which will lead to the Firefox Fix...which isnt fixed now.
8 ) there are some Devs ( i dont remember their names)..who are working in the explorer_new.exe...a replacement of the current explorer.exe
9) USB...Fireball is working in the usb stack..about mouse and keyboard they are about to work...but not working...now.
10) General improvements...and other works...(im forgotting someone sure)

As you can see...there are a lot of improvements...enough to launch a release...but there are right now 2 opinions:

* Releasing 0.3.9 now...so you can enjoy the enhancements...but you wont enjoy USB, neither explorer_new...so 0.4.0 will be the first with USB,explorer_new and then a lot of bugs will be found...
*Releasing 0.3.9 in May, so we can release with USB, explorer_new...so we can track the bugs about USB and explorer_new..and then 0.4.0 will be a reliable release with the main bugs fixed. We want to change to 0.4 with a real good product.

So these are the two ideas right now...and i think the best is the May one ...it will delay 0.3.9 a little...but you will have almost the beneficts of 0.4.0.

Of course is Dev+Fireball decission :)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

vicmarcal wrote:Well...a little bit Info for you...
Your patience deserves respect.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote:The 0.3.9 release was dated for first April week.
This has never been the case. It's anywhere in April and most likely at the very end.
vicmarcal wrote:it will delay 0.3.9 a little...but you will have almost the beneficts of 0.4.0.
No one has said 0.4.0 will come after 0.3.9. We could (and probably will) go into 0.3.10 and 0.3.11
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:This has never been the case. It's anywhere in April and most likely at the very end.
If we are still releasing each two months...the date was April first week,since 0.3.8 was released before Fosdem. We never follow our plans(as always),but yes the proposal date of the release is first April week.

(20:02:16) Fireball: in 2 months after 0.3.8 was released
(20:04:07) Fireball: elhoir - yes, beginning of april preferably
Ged wrote:No one has said 0.4.0 will come after 0.3.9. We could (and probably will) go into 0.3.10 and 0.3.11
Maybe we will need even a 0.3.12...but im just telling what "the No one" Fireball" said ;) .

(20:07:05) elhoir: Colin_Finck: will it be a 0.3.10 release? (or Fireball)
(20:08:55) Fireball: elhoir - I hope not

There are other Logs...where Fireball explains they idea that maybe we can have a 0.4 without a 0.3.10..it depends of course of Devs...and their work ;)
All the Log here ;) others in my IRC folder :)

http://react-blog.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... okoll.html
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:This has never been the case. It's anywhere in April and most likely at the very end.
If we are still releasing each two months...the date was April first week,since 0.3.8 was released before Fosdem. We never follow our plans(as always),but yes the proposal date of the release is first April week.

(20:02:16) Fireball: in 2 months after 0.3.8 was released
(20:04:07) Fireball: elhoir - yes, beginning of april preferably
No, you're wrong. I'm only correcting you so people in the forums don't get the wrong impression.
We release on a 2 month period. This could be anywhere in the month, it doesn't necesseraly refer to the exact week from the last release.
Note Fireball's use of the word 'preferably'.

In general, releases come at the end of the month, the last release was a suprise exception in comparison to the previous releases.
vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:No one has said 0.4.0 will come after 0.3.9. We could (and probably will) go into 0.3.10 and 0.3.11
Maybe we will need even a 0.3.12...but im just telling what "the No one" Fireball" said ;) .

(20:07:05) elhoir: Colin_Finck: will it be a 0.3.10 release? (or Fireball)
(20:08:55) Fireball: elhoir - I hope not

There are other Logs...where Fireball explains they idea that maybe we can have a 0.4 without a 0.3.10..it depends of course of Devs...and their work ;)
All the Log here ;) others in my IRC folder :)
Fireball is not "the number one" as you put it. He has the same power as the rest of us.

You can't go off what is said in IRC, it's not the correct place to hold such discussions. We have official channels to discuss such things.
Take anything you read in IRC with a pinch of salt, it has a good chance of being an opinion only, not a fact.

I'm 99% sure that 0.4 will not come after 0.3.9.
I'm also 99% certain that there will be at least 2 more 0.3 releases before 0.4, we just aren't ready for 0.4 yet. Maybe towards the middle or the end of the summer

Again, I'm not saying this to correct you, I'm only saying all this so people don't get the wrong impression and start asking why 0.4 hasn't been released.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:In general, releases come at the end of the month, the last release was a suprise exception in comparison to the previous releases.
Of course.If the other releases were at the end of the month, then each 2 months means at the end of the month. But since the great surprise of the latest release,when we released at first of the month, i thought(following Fireball opinion) we will be releasing at April first as a 2 months period,and not waiting until the end of the month(which is really a 3 months one :) )
vicmarcal wrote:Fireball is not "the number one" as you put it
I didnt say "Number one" but "No one" related with your sentence: "No one has said 0.4.0 will come after 0.3.9."...He said would like and could be..of course he can be wrong...but he is(was) supporting the idea of trying to have 0.4.0 after 0.3.9 if possible :). This is not the first time he said that...and i can post about 10Logs about it :)..of course IRC is just a place to share opinions...and a IRC Log just shows opinions and not facts.
Ged wrote:I'm 99% sure that 0.4 will not come after 0.3.9.
I'm also 99% certain that there will be at least 2 more 0.3 releases before 0.4, we just aren't ready for 0.4 yet. Maybe towards the middle or the end of the summer
This is a nice opinion...as Fireball one.And my opinion(which doesnt have the same importance as yours) is between Fireball and yours. I bet for July... :)
Ged wrote:I'm not saying this to correct you, I'm only saying all this so people don't get the wrong impression and start asking why 0.4 hasn't been released.

Sure, I´m glad to hear an opinion of a Dev :)...I was just posting Fireball opinion, because it´s just the one i heard :)..maybe all the Devs could give their opinions too :)

And correct me without problems, i dont take it personally ;)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

aagghh, why are you intent on arguing even though I'm giving you facts.
I'm not quoting IRC opinions, I'm telling you what goes on behind the scenes.
vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:In general, releases come at the end of the month, the last release was a suprise exception in comparison to the previous releases.
Of course.If the other releases were at the end of the month, then each 2 months means at the end of the month. But since the great surprise of the latest release,when we released at first of the month, i thought(following Fireball opinion) we will be releasing at April first as a 2 months period,and not waiting until the end of the month(which is really a 3 months one :) )
No! This is in your imagniation. They generally come at the end of the month because we either leave releasing until the last minute or just plain struggle to get them out on time. It has absolutely nothing to do with which week the previous release was done.
vicmarcal wrote:"No one has said 0.4.0 will come after 0.3.9."...He said would like and could be..of course he can be wrong...but he is(was) supporting the idea of trying to have 0.4.0 after 0.3.9 if possible :). This is not the first time he said that...and i can post about 10Logs about it :)..of course IRC is just a place to share opinions...and a IRC Log just shows opinions and not facts.
He's no longer supporting this. We've been discussing it. You can show me as many IRC logs as you want, they don't mean anything, IRC is meaningless.
It's the real discussions we have which dictate what happens.

vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:I'm 99% sure that 0.4 will not come after 0.3.9.
This is a nice opinion...as Fireball one.And my opinion(which doesnt have the same importance as yours) is between Fireball and yours. I bet for July... :)
This isn't an opinion, I'm giving this to you as a fact. 0.4 _will not_ come after 0.3.9. We aren't ready for it.
If I listed the things which need to be in place before 0.4 and the time scales you would realise that we have around 3-6 months of work and a possible 2-4 more releases before this can happen.

You can be sure that the 0.4 release will be a real show stopper though, I am certain of that :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Nice..thanks...now nute has much more info instead the cryptic sentence about the "air speed" :)...
i was just giving the info i had...and now he(and me) has more recent and interesting updated info :)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

hahaha, an interesting way to get information. :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

nute has already been told multiple times to not blindly insist on the theoretical release schedule that the developers use as a guideline. For that matter, vicmarcal, you should know better that the releases follow that guideline very loosely at best. There is a great deal of flexibility in when we actually do a release and trying to hold us strictly to that schedule will get you nowhere.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Oh… Is it so important, whether some build is called r40800 or 0.3.9; 0.3.10 or 0.4.0? It will not become better because of changed name.