[idea] React Do

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sound Good?

Yes
23%
Sounds useful to me
46%
No
31%

Total votes: 13

kevintrooper

[idea] React Do

Post by kevintrooper »

Please only vote if you've read this post.

I'm sure we have a lot of Linux users on this forum, but I'm not sure how many actually use Do, also known as "Gnome Do". I think Do is a very useful application because it lets you "do things as quickly as possible (but no quicker)" and is very useful with it's options and extensions. I was wondering if there was anyone willing to start this for ReactOS and keep it at minimum size. I know, there are some clones for windows, but they just bring the experience expected. Vista actually has something similar, the search field on the start menu, and I believe OSX has something like this, too (but it costs money). So I think this is a good idea, eh? :)

Thank You,

Kevintrooper
coldReactive

Re: [idea] React Do

Post by coldReactive »

But it should be optional if made, because I can't stand Gnome Do.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

coldReactive wrote:But it should be optional if made, because I can't stand Gnome Do.
of course, i meant to have it on Download!
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

The new start menu in windows, and connectivity centre seem to cover this...
alexef

Post by alexef »

The answer is Launchy. There's no need to rewrite an entire application, just to make the existing work: http://www.reactos.org/support/index.ph ... group/239/
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

alexef wrote:The answer is Launchy. There's no need to rewrite an entire application, just to make the existing work: http://www.reactos.org/support/index.ph ... group/239/

I like it, but it doesnt seem to be working in ReactOS for me...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There are more Windows "clones"? Like?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

kevintrooper wrote:I like it, but it doesnt seem to be working in ReactOS for me...
I have downloaded the latest Launchy.
Before installing i knew it wouldnt work under ReactOS.It uses Transparency, which isnt working in ROS.SO i was expecting BSOD,or problems with Launchy colors in the best of the cases.
I tried and it begins complaining about XXXXX.DLL not found. Most of them begins with the MSXXX.DLL. You can download them from Internet(They are redistributables).(NOTE: It was complaining also about a QTxxx.DLL not found,which was there,next to the EXE,seems one of the NotFound-MSXXX were preventing QTxxx.DLL to be found,after copying the needed MSxxx.DLL to system32 the QTxxx.DLL warning dissapears)
After putting this DLLs inside System32 and launching "Launchy" a Grey Square appeared in the Middle of the Screen.I made right click on it and appeared a Launchy Menu. I was able to change everything there,indeed the skins(all of them using Transparencies and beatiful things our GUI doesnt support), as all of the skins were using transparencies none of them are working.
If you find an old Launchy version it is really possible to have it working inside Ros,since seems the only problem is a Drawing Issue.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

vicmarcal wrote:
kevintrooper wrote:I like it, but it doesnt seem to be working in ReactOS for me...
I have downloaded the latest Launchy.
Before installing i knew it wouldnt work under ReactOS.It uses Transparency, which isnt working in ROS.SO i was expecting BSOD,or problems with Launchy colors in the best of the cases.
I tried and it begins complaining about XXXXX.DLL not found. Most of them begins with the MSXXX.DLL. You can download them from Internet(They are redistributables).(NOTE: It was complaining also about a QTxxx.DLL not found,which was there,next to the EXE,seems one of the NotFound-MSXXX were preventing QTxxx.DLL to be found,after copying the needed MSxxx.DLL to system32 the QTxxx.DLL warning dissapears)
After putting this DLLs inside System32 and launching "Launchy" a Grey Square appeared in the Middle of the Screen.I made right click on it and appeared a Launchy Menu. I was able to change everything there,indeed the skins(all of them using Transparencies and beatiful things our GUI doesnt support), as all of the skins were using transparencies none of them are working.
If you find an old Launchy version it is really possible to have it working inside Ros,since seems the only problem is a Drawing Issue.
can you post some screenshots?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I deleted the VM..
But there isnt too much to see.
Launchy loads as a plain gray rectangle:size 300x150. RightClicking on it a Window appears,but it´s just a Settings Window. The typical of 5 or 6 tabs where you can set the options(GUI,links,and such). Really nothing to see,since the gray rectangle should be a rectangle with a Textbox.And the textbox is the one that launches everything.It is a QT app.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

EmuandCo wrote:There are more Windows "clones"? Like?
I think he was talking about there are some Clones of ""Gnome Do"" for Windows.(as Launchy) Hehehe.. :)
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

I'd use RocketDock or RKLauncher before I would use this anyway.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

BTW, RocketDock has one similar open-sourced equivalent. :)
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Black_Fox wrote:BTW, RocketDock has one similar open-sourced equivalent. :)
It would be wise to link the actual website as well.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

RocketDock isn't the same, yet it is my favorite dock for windows.