1.0.0 ETA

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FORCE

Re: 1.0.0 ETA

Post by FORCE »

As i told several times there is need to be promoted everywhere, currently Youtube is quite good promoter. Sadly i do not have money so much but if some person with great resources will see ReactOS then she could buy Google ad and it is promote BOMB.
Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu »

I think the following responses answer my question best. It's going to be a while yet until this is done so I am going to stop holding my breath for now.
steveh
My crystal sphere shows that Reactos 1.0.0 will most likely be rolled out around April 5, 2014,
just in time to replace the uncounted "never dying" and still popular Windows XP installations around the world, which will reach their end of life / end of security patch support by Microsoft, on Apri 8, 2014 ...
The123king
Honestly, the best estimate is any time between now and never. The 1.0.0 release could be next year for all we know. On a sensible timeframe, expect it in 5-10 years. Come back in 3 and we should be in useable beta
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I've been here since around 0.2.9 or so. That was around 2006, I think. Back then the best estimates were that we'd hit beta by 2010. The project generally goes up 0.1 versions a year, so basically in 2008 we were in 0.3, in 2007 we were in 0.3 and 0.2. I would roughly estimate that every new major release comes out about 1.2 years after the last. So at the current rate I would expect the beta to come out at earliest late 2010, and no later than the end of 2011. It gets exponentially more difficult to project how long ReactOS will take to hit the golden 1.0 because we don't know what kinds of setbacks the project might face in the meantime.

I would agree with Pesho and the others that when we get more stuff working, then we'll attract more developers. If ReactOS can start supporting USB, DirectX, and other features to work, and people can run ReactOS for basic things like reading and writing files, email surfing, maybe even basic gaming, they'll better appreciate the potential of this project. When that happens, the kinds of young college kids and enthusiasts that would be interested in testing their mettle in a project such as this will take the opportunity. Just as long as we can recruit more programmers, and organize their efforts accordingly, then we can exponentially increase productivity.
d3drocks

Post by d3drocks »

So basically when Duke Nukem Forever comes out. :P
that was cancelled you know... they fired the development team.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

This discussion digress :) Shouldn't it be moved to Off-topic, and a pool attached with the best estimates for the beta/release/whatever version release date? The person to get the closest will win an installation CD of the said version with signatures from each developer. Oh, and the last, developers, their SO, families and pets are not allowed to participate. :lol:
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

d3drocks wrote:
So basically when Duke Nukem Forever comes out. :P
that was cancelled you know... they fired the development team.
But the game itself has basically been put on perpetual TBA. Its release hasn't been confirmed nor denied.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I'm going to guess over 10 years. ofcorse it could go like mediaportal, just give up on making it stable and just call it version 1.0 anyway :). but it'll still beat duke4 anyway.
nute

Post by nute »

I agree that getting the developers to comment meaningfully on when they think 1.0 might come out
would be helpful. Unfortunately, this is a hobby that the developers do not take very seriously when
it comes to fixing problems and filling out the feature set. Strangely enough, the developers do take
ReactOS seriously as far as claiming that it's worth it even though they are not in any way trying to
match the pace that Microsoft works at. If this is going to replace Windows, it is going to have to
start developing at some point at the same or a faster rate. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been
locked yet. I wonder if the developers have enough skill to fill out the feature set and address the
bugs in ReactOS, certainly the delays are not encouraging. Honestly if you have the skill, the best
way to get a stable release of ReactOS is to fork the project and work on it with your own group of
developers who actually have the time and the requisite skill set needed.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I told you more than once to just leave! Second of Three Warnings!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Why do you nute fork it yourself and show us how's that supposed to be done? You do have anything bar empty words, dont you?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Don't go off topic in here, too. One nute private playground is enough. Back to topic or I ask kjk_hyperion if he lends me his banhammer ;-)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

HAHAHA!... :D I am sorry, I know that the core issues of this dispute are quite important and deserve a discussion, but the way in which it is lead, I cannot stop awfully laughing about it! :D
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i do not think that i am going to update my os to windows vista / windows 7 /windows next version /windows 2012 code name mayan so if ReactOS takes the next 5/10 years to get 1.0 i am still going to be runing windows xp pro
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Hmm with this tempo and number of developers maybe but i am shure when reactos reaches the version 0.5 that the number of developers and community will exponentionaly grow.

I am also monitoring the project for a long time and preparing to help with the development if i can help. but still waiting for a module that fits my skills
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

I am developer since 25 years. Because it is one of my jobs to calculate the time (cost) of a project that this is a very interesting question for me. One of my techniques is to compare it with a equals complex project. I think Windows XP is equals complex. How large is Windows XP. Currently I does not have a Setup CD but I think it was a CD. I estimate 500 MB. ReactOS will not all include from Windows XP like IE, IIS etc. .NET will come from MONO. Ok, we use 250 MB.

Now we look at the size of ReactOS:

0.31 37.1 MB 2009-07-02
0.35 31.5 MB 2008-06-30
0.33 24.5 MB 2007-09-12

This make approx. 6.3 MB per year.
250 MB - 37 = 213 MB
213 MB / 6.3 MB/year = 33 years

My prognosis for version 1.0 with the current development speed is the year 2032. There is impreciseness of a factor 2. This means from the year 2025 to 2075.

I am frustrated from the result. Where is the mistake? The problem are the current speed and the count of developers on the project. How can we receive more developers? I think with the using of high level languages where C is not needed. I hate C and many other developers also.

My 5 cents.