size of reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

size of reactos

Post by dark »

Reactos went from 9.4MB to 14MB quickly, i'd like to make sure this doesn't turn into something like freebsd which fills a few disks, if reactos gets bigger than around 50MB, or more than 4-5 hours download, people on phone lines wont be able to download it. (a cd can fit about 650-800MB)
StringCheesian

Post by StringCheesian »

Is it just me who thinks so, or is it really amazing that they've reimplemented so much of Windows at a fraction of the size.

I've got DSL so ReactOS getting bloated wouldn't affect me too much, but I think it would be cool if it stayed small.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

StringCheesian wrote:Is it just me who thinks so, or is it really amazing that they've reimplemented so much of Windows at a fraction of the size.

I've got DSL so ReactOS getting bloated wouldn't affect me too much, but I think it would be cool if it stayed small.
I certanly would like reactos to stay below 60mb. If it gets too big, I wont be able to create the nightly builds and let people download them off of my computer. That and it would take even longer to build. It is rather nice that ros already has parts of windows implimented in such a small size.
Gedi

Re: size of reactos

Post by Gedi »

dark wrote:Reactos went from 9.4MB to 14MB quickly
Before you will have been building with DBG=0.
The new rbuild system runs with DBG=1 as default, so the extra size your seeing is debug info in the binaries.

If you want to get it back down, edit config.template.xml in the source root back to DBG=0. (you should get slightly better performance with this setting, although whether it would be noticable is debatable)
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

There isnt very much of a size differenc with DBG:0 and DBG:1, when compressed it only saves about .3mb
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

If it's any comfort, OpenOffice.org (zipped installation file) is currently around 84 MB in size =^_^=
dark

Post by dark »

When the official release of openoffice 2.0 comes out there going to do something to half the size of the zip file.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Re: size of reactos

Post by Dr. Fred »

dark wrote:Reactos went from 9.4MB to 14MB quickly.
That is because we changed to standart config to DBG := 1. It would be cool if Reactos would grow that fast.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
chorns

If you want a smaller ReactOS...

Post by chorns »

...use an older version of it.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

if reactos gets bigger than around 50MB, or more than 4-5 hours download, people on phone lines wont be able to download it. (a cd can fit about 650-800MB)
With all the talk about a ReactOS "package", this problem can be easily solved. Two or more CDs would be available. CD #1 contains everything needed to install and run barebones ReactOS and no more. CDs #2 through n contain the goodies: the third-party apps, the games, the media players, etc. If all you want is the OS, download and install the ISO of CD #1. You can then install all of your favorite Windows apps to ReactOS. If you want the goodies, download the rest of the CDs. This will save bandwidth at the very least and should keep the core OS on one CD.

Remember,

R.I.N.L.*

*ReactOS Is Not Linux.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I am on a dial-up connection and although i would be a bit of a pain to download if it gets much bigger I would prefer that reactos is free to grow as big as it needs to be, but not too big, if it gets larger than windows that will be a disadvantage of reactos making windows better in that way.
keeping the apps seperate is a good idea, just leave a few basic apps in the os and allow the user to get there own (including from a special ISO). Eg include notepad & calculator but not Open office.
Reactos should provide windows functionality from the OS unlike linux wich seems to provide most of, even the fairly basic functions, via 3rd party apps.
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Size is a small matter, new linux distros are one ore more cds, windows is one cd, *bsd are one or more cds also...
I know that not broadband user will need time to downloand ROS, but we can solve it giving the option to pick up a cd-r version, for the price of the cd-r and the taxes, so no one will have problems to try ros, everyone can afront a 0.30€+taxes price.
Programs can be obtained through the package manager, so there is no need to include it on the os iso file.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

HUMA2000 wrote:Size is a small matter, new linux distros are one ore more cds, windows is one cd, *bsd are one or more cds also...
I know that not broadband user will need time to downloand ROS, but we can solve it giving the option to pick up a cd-r version, for the price of the cd-r and the taxes, so no one will have problems to try ros, everyone can afront a 0.30€+taxes price.
Programs can be obtained through the package manager, so there is no need to include it on the os iso file.
Gentoo is 50mb for the basse, and then everything addidtional it downloads during install, so I believe it would be a good thing to have seperate cds for minimal and full instilations. Also I should be able to make reactos cd in the furture and main them out if shipping and the cd proce is coverd.
dark

Post by dark »

There are going to be people for whatever reason will not pay for reactos, (why pay when you can get it for free and maybe people who cannot afford to spend anything.)

This is an operating system site, not a distro site, the linux kernal is about 30MB by itself, windows is big because of stuff they force on their customers, MSN, windows media player, real player, windows authentication, Internet Explorer, accessory programs, etc... and the occasionaly abode, aol, rapsody (gateway computers), it goes on and on.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

dark wrote:This is an operating system site, not a distro site.
No, this is an operating system site, not a kernel site.
dark wrote:The linux kernal is about 30MB by itself.
chris319 wrote:R.I.N.L.*
*ReactOS Is Not Linux.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?