questions on quake 2 engine

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

loki1985

questions on quake 2 engine

Post by loki1985 »

hi folks!

just curious:

i saw folks running quake 2 on ROS. amazing thing. i tried running winquake for quake 1 by myself, worked perfectly amazing.

is it true that openGL acceleration for quake2 already works somehwhat in ROS?
i heard this was made possible by the mesa GL dlls?
does this mean if my graphics card is openGL compatible, the mesa DLLs work? or do i have to install aditional graphics drivers?

another thing: since quake 2 runs, i got an idea: there are lots of other nice games based on the quake2 engine (e.g. SoF, Daikatana, Kingpin, even Half-Life somewhat, any many others), so they could already be running too, right? and if they don't, it most propably are only small few things which prevents them from running, correct?

with best regards,

---loki
8)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
Mesa3d are only software OpenGL. That mean opengl will work any kind of graphic card. But it will not use any hardware suport for 3d.

Blight_ are working on geting nvida opengl hardware support to reactos.

with other word :
1. Only software support of OpenGL in reactos with mesa3d.
2. All kind of 3d Hardware accelration are not supportet yet in reactos.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

does that mean mesa just emulates the function of openGL, e.g. calculates the images in pure software mode?

that would be slow as hell... :cry:
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

loki1985 wrote:does that mean mesa just emulates the function of openGL, e.g. calculates the images in pure software mode?

that would be slow as hell... :cry:
Yes, and it IS slow... (like on linux without nvidia-driver installed :wink: )
anthracite

Post by anthracite »

This reminds me of when I tried Quake2 in OpenGL using the software renderer in Windows 95 on a 166 mhz Pentium. Though it was a very slow slide show, the visuals hooked me into taking care of the lack of hardware OpenGL support on the Riva128 I had at the time (NVidia hadn't released a GL driver for Win95, yet). Defying the logic of my cousin who had been talking up his 3dfx card, I shelled out the near $300 dollars for Windows NT 4.0. With the latest service pack and hardware opengl accelerated NVidia driver, I was enjoying a better looking Quake than before. And as an extra bonus, I realized that accessing the floppy drive or using the printer or scanner didn't have to disrupt movement of the cursor. :shock:
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

so, any one tried other quake2-based games yet?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

btw: just that i understand (i am a noob in things like graphics cards): when i got it right, the graphic accelleration chips used in current graphics cards are mainly made by NVidia and ATI, right?
does that mean one could have 1 NVidia driver which works for all cards with an NVidia chip, no matter who made the card around the chip (and same for ATI chips)?
blight
Developer

Post by blight »

Last edited by blight on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

interesting. although there is already a HOW-TO describing the installation procedure of an NVidia driver, there is no information on OpenGL support...

i downloaded the driver, and found some "nvoglnt.dl_" which can be expand'ed to nvoglnt.dll... (btw, is there some "expand.exe" already in ReactOS?)

i fired up Dependency Walker, and, as it seems, nvoglnt.dll doesn't depend on other DLLs provided in the driver installation (which i see as a good thing :))
but i may be wrong with this...
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

nvoglnt.dll will not work yet in reactos.
Nvida hardware acclraction of OpenGL does not work yet.
Blight_ are working on why it does not work.