which OS version does Reactos report to programs?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tiansen

which OS version does Reactos report to programs?

Post by Tiansen »

Really nice work done with Arwinss!

Can someone tell me which OS version does Reactos with Arwinss report to programs? I cannot install a program that says it cannot be run on Windows Server 2003. Can this somehow be changed?
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by gabrielilardi »

Tiansen wrote:Can someone tell me which OS version does Reactos with Arwinss report to programs? I cannot install a program that says it cannot be run on Windows Server 2003. Can this somehow be changed?
Both ReactOS and ReactOS-Arwinss report themselves as Windows Server 2003, you can change this behavior this way: right click on my computer, properties, advanced -> system settings -> report as workstation.
Tiansen

Post by Tiansen »

I've done as you said and restarted Reactos, but still I get the same message - that I am running MS Windows Server 2003 SP1. It seems that option you mentioned does not work? What OS should ROS report as workstation? XP?
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Tiansen wrote:.... and restarted Reactos,....?
Have you tried without rebooting? It might be the setting is reset to server on startup.
Tiansen

Post by Tiansen »

Yes, I've tried that too without success. Can someone verify this?
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Tiansen wrote:Yes, I've tried that too without success. Can someone verify this?
Selecting the checkbox will force usermode API's to report as a workstation. The kernel however, still reports as server and this can't change as that's exactly what it is. This application would need specific debugging to try and see what it is trying to do.
Tiansen

Post by Tiansen »

I think there should be selection what OS version should Reactos report to application - Wine has this function too. So that we can install applications that verify if OS is supported and then sometimes say that this OS is NOT supported - but would install successfully if we could convince them to install themselves.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Tiansen wrote:I think there should be selection what OS version should Reactos report to application - Wine has this function too. So that we can install applications that verify if OS is supported and then sometimes say that this OS is NOT supported - but would install successfully if we could convince them to install themselves.
This is not related to Arwinss, I've moved the topic to feedback and suggestions.