When does 0.3.12 will come out?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Golden_Condor

Re: When does 0.3.12 will come out?

Post by Golden_Condor »

I've been following the project off and on since it was only able to boot and show a command line interface. Since then the team has come a long way, but keep up the good work. And just keep thinking about Microsoft how long it took them (and by which means) to get to where they are now :D ;)

Below here just my two cents about the subjects in the first 2 pages of the topic, and what i sometimes see popping up in the forums .

I(Yep, just my opinion) think the ReactOS team needs a very soft tree based hierarchy.
With that i mean that the programmers stick to what they do best, program, the other tech guys what they know best, etc, all the way up the tree. I know you can't force someone to do things they do not wish to or can't do for any reason, valid or not. But then at least people would know to whom they should feel responsible to answer. And that would be a few people and not the whole world, since it would only be the people who are above you in the tree.

People are blaming the programmers they are not updating the wiki, the frontpage, and all the things they do except programming. But they too are just people who have a life outside of ReactOS and,(i assume), the main thing they joined the project for, and that is code... And that is what they should be doing. There are a lot of people that can't code but can do all the other stuff the programmers get blamed for, they don't want/can't/know how to do.

I've read some pretty amazing stories from non coders who can explain difficult programming stuff so good, even a 12 year old kid could understand what has been written.

As mentioned earlier in the topic and can be read in the forums, there are people in the community who are willing to jump on the train that is called ReactOS. Give them a chance. Some can code, some are techies, some are web developers, some critics (hey, come and shovel in some more of those coals :twisted: ;) ), some writers, and so on.

So, to get to the point. Slowly let people enter the team and let them do their thing and let them feel the responsibility for the things they do. Let them have responsibilities to a couple of persons, not the whole world. That would keep the pressure down on the person in question and keep them more happy and willing to spend time on the project, and less why they didn't do what they promised they would at a certain time (and more of the blaming…, and shouting…, and perhaps even cursing). Don't push people when something is two days overdue, who knows what happened in that persons life ... ... Wait it out or, if you can't wait, do it yourself. And here's the one-liner again and keep it in mind: It's there when its there …

P.S. Who feels him/herself called to have a counseling session with the ReactOS team? :twisted: It looks like their's some kind of tension in the team which could become a … (fill that in yourself ;) ..

P.P.S. Someone could tab GvG on the shoulder and ask him to rejoin the project. What i've seen him writing on the forum, he did a good job here.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I doubt there is any limit, preventing anyone willing to help us out, from entering the team. There is and always will be plenty of work left to do for those willing to participate. Unfortunately, the tasks are rarely easy.

I also agree, that there is plenty room left for improvement.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

By the way - WILL there be a 0.3.12 at all?

I mean, people have been tweaking a LOT of stuff for a whole eternity, I rather think you might call this 0.4.0 because the jump in functionality and, especially, correctness (with all the regressions fixing), apparently will be remarkable. I know 0.3.12 was planned.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I would be arguing against calling it 0.4. I want at least the PnP stuff resolved before we make that jump since there's so much stuff that's breaking around it.
dark

Post by dark »

Still, the intent for the next release was to fix all the regressions quickly and release. Last time I checked about 30 regressions were fixed, new ones showed up, and not much since then. Time to release anyway?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

release of 0.4 will come as soon as most regressions and show stoppers are resolved. till then try daily builds.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Hi guys, I have zero time, but I'm still sometimes following the events here.
Just to leave some words here again, I wish you best luck for the new release.
It's time to generate some press rumor ;)

Many people like me are watching you passively guys! Do you best to impress them, because you could be the future
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Many people like me are watching you passively guys! Do you best to impress them, because you could be the future
I am convinced that EVERY SINGLE NAME of developer/tester/maintainer of the "first hour" will be written down in computer history books - like Linus Torvalds - as those guys who did the IMPOSSIBLE - "reprogramm Windows" - free, open, small, and performant ! Also Linux will get a hard punch, because a lot of home users, who only want a stable, working system, and don't want to upgrate all two years, will perhaps change to Reactos.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well... actually, one does not need to be a Linux hater to appreciate ReactOS. I am writing this from a very nice Ubuntu 10.04 machine.

What ReactOS truly is is an alternative, i.e. a competition. I was once curious what types of OSes generally exist, and I found the following categories that I considered to use:

1. Embedded, special purpose, too weird (Plan 9) etc. - not interesting for my desktop.

2. DOS - like FreeDOS - extremely cool, but OLD. And not adaptable to modern times (in just a few years we will have hundreds of GB of RAM, and huge Webpages etc. An OS like FreeDOS cannot, on the long run, cope with the growth in data). So, a no-go.

3. Various hobby projects like Haiku or AROS or FreeVMS. Well... does not cut the mustard, either; there is simply not enough software for them, and after a few months without Skype and a decent flash player, I tell you, you DO start to miss these things.

4. Unixoids. Good choice, but ... baaah, all sooo similar! I started on FreeBSD, moved over to Ubuntu, what shall I say, at some point, you have the feeling, nothing has a chance unless it is a unixoid! I like unixoids, but more diversion is absolutely necessary!

5. Windows. Well... the "old enemy". Not at all from a technical perspective, and Windows 7 feels very nice; I liked 3.11, 95, 98 and XP, too. But they are monopolists endangering our culture by their anti-competitive tricks. - And HERE comes ReactOS... that is, *MIGHT* come one day. Create competition. And thus, advance in technology, EVERYWHERE, including at Microsoft. - I wish ReactOS would go "pro" and not be sticking around as a hobby project...
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

wildschwein wrote:
I am convinced that EVERY SINGLE NAME of developer/tester/maintainer of the "first hour" will be written down in computer history books - like Linus Torvalds - as those guys who did the IMPOSSIBLE - "reprogramm Windows" - free, open, small, and performant ! Also Linux will get a hard punch, because a lot of home users, who only want a stable, working system, and don't want to upgrate all two years, will perhaps change to Reactos.
Not every linux distro has the need to "upgrade", there are rolling releases.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I am not a Linux hater - but anyhow: linux is like CANCER....growing wild in any direction.

And if you really need something (like WLAN on some laptops) it doesn't work. Yes, there may be a console command to solve the problem, but I have better things to do to search for hours and do handcraft work on console...

It's like ball piercing - those who like it should do it :-)
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

You do know that you can play with the 0.4 SVN builds already, they look sweet :)

Although, officially, it's anyones guess. I check from time to time on it's status, soon I hope.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

patternjake wrote:You do know that you can play with the 0.4 SVN builds already, they look sweet :)

Although, officially, it's anyones guess. I check from time to time on it's status, soon I hope.
Give up ;-) I tried to explain this to them more than once... :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...