is ti possible to recompile kernel like linux ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadowmeph

is ti possible to recompile kernel like linux ?

Post by Shadowmeph »

I am a curious Noob but am wondering if it is possible( like in Linux) to recompile the kernel so that different hard ware will work is this possible to do with this OS?
The123king

Re: is ti possible to recompile kernel like linux ?

Post by The123king »

Do you mean recompile for different architectures like PowerPC and ARM? If so, yes you can, but it doesn't necesarily mean it will work. x64 just about boots, but it doesn't load up to anything useable. Same for ARM (i think). x86 is the only architecture guaranteed to boot and run, the rest are nigh on unuseable currently.

x86 is the only architecture supported and supports drivers for Win2k or XP. You don't need to recompile it for x86, just download the drivers and you should be set.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE DRIVERS WILL WORK MIND YOU.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

You don't need to recompile the kernel, it's fully configurable and dynamic by design.

The NT kernel is very different than the linux kernel.
Quite frankly, I find the idea of recompiling kernels absolutely insane.
bjt2

Post by bjt2 »

Ged wrote:You don't need to recompile the kernel, it's fully configurable and dynamic by design.

I don't agree...
If the version you downloaded is optimized for a standard i386, recompiling for your CPU, with specific optimizations, with a newer compiler (a future gcc release, for instance), can lead to some performance improvement.

I ever dreamed to have a system that even upon installation let you recompile all the stuff optimized for your CPU.
The current situation let you come close to this: you can make your own bootcd iso with few steps...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The point is if the speed increase will even be noticeable.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Haos wrote:The point is if the speed increase will even be noticeable.
Does it really have an impact?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Unlikely. Outside of certain specialized cases these days, there is little point in self-compiling applications or even OSes. Most of the settings are good enough. And if you're using a 64bit OS, AMD broke off enough of the cruft from x86 and added enough stuff on that anything compiled for 64bit will do just fine. For general usage, you're unlikely to gain any performance improvement worthwhile enough to go through the trouble of a custom compilation. The NT kernel's architecture is also different from Linux's, so the notion of recompiling to support additional hardware peripherals does not carry over.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I think the OP means compilation for different architectures, such as ARM…
cppm

Post by cppm »

You don't need to recompile the kernel, it's fully configurable and dynamic by design.

You will always need to recompile in order to support other architectures.

Also recompilation with a lesser feature set (as opposed to dynamic loading/unloading of modules and microkernel architectures) could always be the most efficient way to 'slim things down' so to speak. Usefullness of that is debatable of course but there we go...

As an aside, those who do actually compile their own custom linux kernels are highly dedicated/masochistic. The number of options one must go through is insane! Tried it once... gave up...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Please differ compile and recompile.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Haos wrote:
Please differ compile and recompile.
*shrugs* Why?

I can see what you intend to distinguish here, but in the context of support for different architectures, which is what the OP meant, it makes little difference. One can compile or 'recompile' if there aren't binaries for your architecture provided but it's supported in source. Or just build your own for kicks...

But hey, for the sake of clarity I shall bear in mind that people such as yourself embed an end users intent in the term 'recompile' even though strictly that's just a connotation. Thank you for pointing that out. We've all become better people. Yes.

PS: Okay, I'll conced that it might be helpful to read it as "You will always need to be able to recompile in order to support other architectures" but I feel it still stands fine as it is. 'Recompile' as in 'different from the original' works either way.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Unfortunately the opening question was very vague. Due to the nature of the Linux kernel, it is entirely conceivable to have to recompile the thing merely to support additional hardware for an existing architecture. The robotics team I work with have had to do this way too many times because of how much the embedded team cut out of the initial kernel install.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

cppm wrote: You will always need to recompile in order to support other architectures.
You can't just recompile operating systems and have them work on different architectures.

quoting the OP
I am a curious Noob but am wondering if it is possible( like in Linux) to recompile the kernel so that different hard ware will work is this possible to do with this OS?
surely he means if you change your netcard or your gfx card, not your whole machine architecture.

The NT kernel is dynamic. It's able to detect what features are available on a processor, load and unload all drivers, even update itself on the fly. I can't think of any reason you would want to recompile it.

We will always supply OS' for the architectures we support. Currently this is just x86 but in the future we'll also provide ARM and x64 versions.
You just pick the version you want and away you go, no recompile crap is required, this isn't linux :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Linux is modular, there is no need (and it is not recommended) to compile it just to add support for some piece of hardware.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That's not the case from my experience. It's entirely possible to strip out so much of the kernel that you need to do a recompile to get additional hardware support.