FullFAT inclusion

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

FullFAT inclusion

Post by Black_Fox »

There hasn't been word of the FullFAT library for some time, I guess it is Arwinss that steals most of Fireball's ROS time now... Yesterday I tried installing ROS from ramdisk-mounted ISO onto ramdisk-mounted VDI image and it was the same speed as without any ramdisk usage, so speeding up the filesystem really could make a difference! FullFAT's author estimates 2.0.0 release for July, are there any preliminary plans to plug it in before that... or any preliminary plans to plug it in after that? :)
Black_Fox

Re: FullFAT inclusion

Post by Black_Fox »

Bump? FullFAT blog has gone silent for 9 months, but a month ago James posted that 1.1.0 beta is nearing release.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

CORE-6778 was "wontfix"-ed because we don't use FullFAT any longer. When DID we use FullFAT :?: ROS devs had some version in repo but AFAIK always had their own implementation.

Will anyone constructively answer in this topic or are people more interested in answering the questions like "why not port Linux drivers to ROS"? ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

it is no longer used?
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I've talked with Fireball, and says that we can use FastFat included in WDK, because the license let us to do it.
FullFat is a library, that needs some code to be developed to make it work, so for now we are "stuck" in FastFat.
Also, it's preferable to work in the CC, MM area,they need more love to support correctly any FileSystem from FastFat to Ext3(Windows version). When CC is in proper shape, maybe we can use FastFat to test our new-CC behavior.
But as always: From bottom to the top. :)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:Ext3(Windows version)
There is an Ext3 for Windows :?: :shock:
I mean aside an Ext2 driver ability to read-only Ext3 because of their by design similar structures and organisation on disk.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:I've talked with Fireball, and says that we can use FastFat included in WDK, because the license let us to do it.
FullFat is a library, that needs some code to be developed to make it work, so for now we are "stuck" in FastFat.
Also, it's preferable to work in the CC, MM area,they need more love to support correctly any FileSystem from FastFat to Ext3(Windows version). When CC is in proper shape, maybe we can use FastFat to test our new-CC behavior.
Thank you for the answer vicmarcal, it's the almost only and the very best in last three years. I believed that FullFAT was included into the repository at some point of time, but not the newest version and it was not used (ever). So this news supports that idea. I agree that CC and MM need much more love than any filesystem does. But thanks a lot for researching the info anyway, you are the PR team in one person! :) BTW, if ROS is to use FullFAT at some point in future, there is one bug wrongly resolved :)
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

fred02 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Ext3(Windows version)
There is an Ext3 for Windows :?: :shock:
See here. It's mainly an Ext2 driver, but it supports reading and writing Ext3 as well though there won't be any journal support (it basically treats the Ext3 partition as an Ext2 one).

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:I've talked with Fireball, and says that we can use FastFat included in WDK, because the license let us to do it.
Thank you for the answer vicmarcal, it's the almost only and the very best in last three years. I believed that FullFAT was included into the repository at some point of time, but not the newest version and it was not used (ever). So this news supports that idea. I agree that CC and MM need much more love than any filesystem does. But thanks a lot for researching the info anyway, you are the PR team in one person! :) BTW, if ROS is to use FullFAT at some point in future, there is one bug wrongly resolved :)
Just trying to be useful about this question. ;)
Which bug is wrongly resolved?Did you report the Fullfat dev? :)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:Which bug is wrongly resolved?Did you report the Fullfat dev? :)
I mean the CORE-6778, possibly - did I understand correctly from your post above and from some older discussions on mailing lists ([1] [2]) that there will be a move to FullFAT, but only after the more important components are fixed and after someone finds the time for it? Since from the FullFAT changelogs I'm led to believe there is better performance and the codebase is thoroughly tested (Microsoft delivered a proof-of-concept example, FullFAT delivers polished working library) + build-time switches to workaround the known patent issues.

P.S. the "bug" BB tag still points to bugzilla O:-)

[1] http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ ... 11926.html
[2] http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ ... 11927.html
fred02

Post by fred02 »

PascalDragon wrote:See here. It's mainly an Ext2 driver, but it supports reading and writing Ext3 as well though there won't be any journal support (it basically treats the Ext3 partition as an Ext2 one).
Yes, I know, there is also this one, but all just use the by design backward compatibility of Ext3 with Ext2 disk organisation and file structures.
I was hoping some progress on real support, but it seems to be "on hold". For instance ext2fsd had no commits since July 2011. :(
:deam mode on:
Perhaps once the ROS CC is working, IFS drivers will get regain interest again.
:deam mode off:
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Aleksey brought it up for discussion, can anyone provide support for using UDF as a file system on something other that optical media so that it can be discussed at the next meeting. Personally I have to put my support behind just using EXT2/EXT3 its the logical choice. However I'd like to see if we can some how test both and see which is the better choice.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
fred02

Post by fred02 »

livestrong2109 wrote:Aleksey brought it up for discussion, can anyone provide support for using UDF as a file system on something other that optical media
I found this on Ubuntu and that on MSFN.
I also have a vague memory of a colleague using UDF as the system's FS on OSX 10.2, but I'm not sure, and could not find any references. Also, whatever he used, he got a lot of troubles with it, as it was not the recommended FS. :roll: