Installing Windows Service Packs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicamarvin2005

Installing Windows Service Packs

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

what does a service pack do exactly? does it change the kernel? or it just security patches? well back when I was playing alot ROS 0.29, I installed a few programs, they installed ok but ran very weird, well just out of curisity I installed Win2k Service Pack 4 on Reactos.... :o I was amazed it installed correctly, well remember those programs that ran weird? well now they ran just fine.......why?

Why was ROS able to pull that off? I have not tested on newer releases but now that I have time I will be doing just that...I will also see if I am able to install XP Service Packs.... :twisted:
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Installing Windows Service Packs

Post by EmuandCo »

Installing MS Service Packs is only allowed with a valid Windows License, so even if the Pack runs, its nothing we support. And btw, a Service Pack sometimes repaces the Kernel, yes. But 0.2.9 ReactOS would never be able to use a Win2K Kernel. So this one seems to just replace some minor components.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Installing MS Service Packs is only allowed with a valid Windows License, so even if the Pack runs, its nothing we support. And btw, a Service Pack sometimes repaces the Kernel, yes. But 0.2.9 ReactOS would never be able to use a Win2K Kernel. So this one seems to just replace some minor components.
yes sir I know and I do own a valid license, BUT I was very surprice I was able to install it on ROS and even more I could see improvedments, is it because ROS at that time was very similar to Win2K? I have tryed installing it on other NT systems but they just wont do it....

I know at this moment ROS is aiming Win2003 but I will see if I am still able.... :mrgreen:
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

An interesting experiment. There have been discussions going way back about replacing ReactOS components with windows ones, or the other way around, for testing. This is all you are doing - replacing some components.

The release notes make it look like a very small set of updates (specific to SP4 only)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813432/

But the list of fixes is pretty long (it includes previous service packs and updates)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327194/

You can see what's in it by downloading the network install (I assume you have it) and extracting the files with '/x':
W2KSP4_EN.EXE /x

Looks like the entire kernel, win32k, most low-level device drivers are all included. At that point I assume it would look for the system directory (which you can rename when setting up windows) and replace everything - so you're running Windows 2000 with some ReactOS files and configuration. Just guessing though.
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

nicamarvin2005 wrote:...I was very surprice I was able to install it on ROS and even more I could see improvedments...
Unbelievable! :shock: I thought, that MS checked version before installation. Did you use compatibility mode? Or just as it was?
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Unbelievable! I thought, that MS checked version before installation. Did you use compatibility mode? Or just as it was?
didnt know ROS had any compatibility mode... :?: but yest I was surprice, but its a 0.2.9 thing, I have tested on current and ARWINS but it wont work..... :x I will post pics when I have the chance... 8-)
Stead

Post by Stead »

I thought about trying this before but just assumed it wouldn't work!

surely this is good for testing purposes? ok nearly all the files are ms this way but if everything works i'd be curious how it peforms vs native win2k and reactos 8-)
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

it wasnt a fluke,i just tried it and it worked,download 0.2.9: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f924 ... 8dbd2aceb1
zydon

Post by zydon »

So, ROS inherit the same problem as the Win2K?

Logically, ROS developers has to make a step backward to analyze fixes has been made in Win2K's SP before move forward with stability. I guess, it safe to assumed with the SP4, Win2K becoming a pre-WinXP and much more stable than before.

Should ROS do the same things by updating via SP instead of installing a new release over and over again?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Later, perhaps... At the present stage the system is not stable enough for that.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Erm, ReactOS isn't even at a 1.0 version yet, so I don't even think ReactOS team have even thought of the updating mechanisms yet.

Although, it *should* be considered for when the 1.0 release get nearer.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

this does not work,it just appears to work,i had look in the c:\reactos directory and i could not find a single file that was created by Microsoft, the service pack installer just unpacks the files,it does not install any of the files.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

betaluva wrote:this does not work,it just appears to work,i had look in the c:\reactos directory and i could not find a single file that was created by Microsoft, the service pack installer just unpacks the files,it does not install any of the files.
those noticeable improvements? nope. it must have been a placebo effect (where you notice a difference that isn't there because you were expecting those changes)
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

those noticeable improvements? nope. it must have been a placebo effect
Please.... :| I will post pics of the improvements.... :P