Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Re: Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Post by Jedi-to-be »

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

It is only a fast concept that mix the REACTOS + WINE logos in one
I like this idea also...
Long Johns
... :lol:
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

JesperL wrote:Well usually in the computer world everything doesn't need to be spelled the same way if an other meaning is applied.
But the acronym might be a bit off so feel free to find an better.
Or how about WIRE? Wine Implemented Reactos Enhancement.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Some years ago when my mother started to use a PC and Windows, I remember she has the habit to call the windows of the apps "marcos" the word in spanish for window frames because the shape and the blue around them (XP).

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Then I tought it was a good name for a OS with window interface, MarcOS or MarkOS, because it is what holds the window panes together (and the piece the windows logo misses).
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Then I tought it was a good name for a OS with window interface, MarcOS
Me gusta la idea :D
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Shawhifox wrote:Then I tought it was a good name for a OS with window interface, MarcOS or MarkOS, because it is what holds the window panes together (and the piece the windows logo misses).
That sounds like an OS made by someone named Mark, or Marcos...
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

As soon as the name is decided, I'm willing to design the logo.

How about PlacebOS?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

kevintrooper wrote:As soon as the name is decided, I'm willing to design the logo.

How about PlacebOS?
Not sure. I like the sound. However, unlike a placebo, Reactos and Arwinss actually do something. Also, in science, placebos are used as controls. In our "experiment," Windows is the control, or more accurately, the standard. In a way, what we are doing is the opposite of an experiment. We are not trying find the difference between treated and untreated, but trying to work to eliminate difference in areas related to compatibility. Sure, I guess in the short term, it is like the classical experiment since we must find the differences to fix them. I am not even sure if I made any sense.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

How about a logo like this, for the whole ReactOS project:

α4∞

:)
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

Pesho wrote:
Shawhifox wrote:Then I tought it was a good name for a OS with window interface, MarcOS or MarkOS, because it is what holds the window panes together (and the piece the windows logo misses).
That sounds like an OS made by someone named Mark, or Marcos...
Hey! The first computer that could store a program was called Mark I (Manchester, 1949)
clancg2003

Post by clancg2003 »

Hey guys I want to give a couple of suggestions here.

First things first, do not put os in the new name. By doing that you're going to confuse so many people into erroneously believing that Arwinss is a separate operating system from ReactOS. Remember how many people mistakenly believed that Arwinss was going to replace win32k despite being stated multiple times that this is not the case?

Second, do not use wine in the name either. Wine has a negative connotation among Windows users (I don't think I need to explain why.), and I feel that if you use it people may wrongly assume that this project is trying to implement Windows by using Linux code.

Personally I feel that there's nothing really wrong with calling it Arwinss. The word Arwin is actually a name, and while it is not as common as John or Mark, I have known a few Arwin's throughtout my lifetime. To be perfectly honest, until I read this thread, I always assumed that you named the subsystem Arwin because you thought thought name was cool or something.

Anyways, I'd go with WICE32. It's simple and sounds fairly cool and Windowsish. Sorry purplegurl, but wire just sounds too goofy of a name :P. Perhaps you could name it W-ICE or something and have the logo be related to an ice cube somehow.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Wine has a negative connotation among Windows users (I don't think I need to explain why).
Could you explain why? Its the first time i hear such thing.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Haos wrote:
Wine has a negative connotation among Windows users (I don't think I need to explain why).
Could you explain why? Its the first time i hear such thing.
I've felt similarly, though not so much anymore. When I first heard of WINE, I assumed it had to do with drinking, and looked down on anyone who would use such a name for an OS/emulator. As folks here may know, America has more of a history with prudish beliefs and anti-alcohol sentiments than a lot of places in the world, though nowhere as bad as in the Middle East. So I initially turned up my nose at WINE. And I've never really had good sentiments with a lot of open source projects. I find a lot of their names and logos quite stupid. What do penguins and moose have to do with operating systems? And I find recursive acronyms to be childish, and the one for WINE a bit misleading. And I have gut reactions about Linux and some of its users too. There is often this chip on their shoulders and they feel defensive or must bash Windows users because of insecurity and perceived bigotry against their OS of choice. Even the GNU and similar license agreements in the way they are worded, initially made me feel like open source people were overly serious. We've all met people who cared more for their rights than they do being decent and polite people who respect others.

A lot of open source stuff has a kludgy look and feel to it. You find half-drawn animal icons in the confusing installers, and often, when you are done, you get a buggy program that is crudely drawn with a confusing layout. I am not the only one who has felt this way it seems:

http://j-walk.com/other/ossw/
It is a joke page for "Open Sores" software.

I also hope I've offended nobody with the above. Those are just perceptions I used to have, and I am sure others feel or have felt that way too.

To clancg2003: No offense taken. We are just throwing out ideas. And with my idea, it could be tweaked. Like Wine Implemented Reactos Environment. But it can trigger the Linux bigotry of some windows users, and it could trigger the connotation of being "down to the wire" - implying crude and dirty or a last ditch effort. So I think you may be right.
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

You know what? I believe that Arwinss is good enough for our purposes, as it's just a branch of Ros. :|
The cake is a lie!
clancg2003

Post by clancg2003 »

Haos wrote:Could you explain why? Its the first time i hear such thing.
Well there's a couple of negative connotations about it. The biggest of which is that despite being in development since 1993, it has yet to really reach a "stable" state, and software regressions are still fairly common with it. Another thing is that a lot of the programs do work perfectly, but in order to get them a lot of them do do this, you have to tinker around with stuff, usually configurations. Since our target audience is Windows users, I think it's a bad decision to use the word wine in the new name as they'll mistakenly believe that they'll have to tweak around a bunch of stuff, in order to run a lot of their programs. This could potentially turn some people away from downloading and testing the new subsystem.