Recruiting

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

b4dc0d3r

Re: Recruiting

Post by b4dc0d3r »

vicmarcal wrote:One problem is that a "dev" or a "skilled user" doesnt know "how" and "where" to begin. "How" is explained in the Wiki, but the "Where" and not having a defined target is the main problem, from my pov.
The list with small tasks to be done can help. Totally agree with Murmur.
A developer almost has to be a user first. What works for me, what doesn't, what can I fix, what can I play with. From there, what to do becomes obvious. Just play with it.

Turns out I like taking things apart, not building them. So I dig through bug reports (even vague ones ;) and see what the program is doing that ReactOS doesn't expect, or has not implemented. I don't mind writing a simple test case once I find the problem, and letting someone else fix it. If I had more time, I'd submit patches.

In fact, if I won the lottery (I'd have to play to win, but if I were to...) I'd spend a few hours a week pulling random things from sourceforge and compiling/running them in ROS. Lots easier to debug that way.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote: The whole "poisoned" comments are the reason why ROS needs to advertise and I suggested that we put some news out before we try to recruit in an organized manor.
I agree. I think we also need to deal with cultural turn-offs like I've observed starting several years ago which are likely still here. We need to put ourselves in the mind of newcomers and try seeing what they see. A lot of what folks here think they want to see or thinks will turn outsiders off will not, and vice-versa. Over attention to petty details, manufactured little rules that someone with an ego problem made up just because, nit-picking people who comment and deliberately finding fault in about every other post are not ways to get cooperation. Similar with excessive topic enforcement, overbearing interpretation of rules, rules that are not on the official list but ambushed onto people unsuspecting, etc. That tells others that the folks already here have their own little club, their own system, and don't want any outsiders ruining it or changing it for them. I know better than that, but people are drawn by their impressions. We are the only Windows clone project that has stood the test of time, and we need others to see that and become involved.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

disappointed in the lack of a response from anyone who is capable of making decisions.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Haos wrote: From what i experienced, there are many visitors, stating their will to help out with ReactOS coding. Unfortunately, 95% of them never show back, most likely after looking into ReactOS source.
I think those who say they want to help ReactOS with coding, should instead be asked to help with testing. It should raise chances that they will not leave.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Murmur wrote:disappointed in the lack of a response from anyone who is capable of making decisions.
Haos, hto and me are ReactOS Board Members. We are "capable of making decisions" as we vote in the ReactOS Meetings.
So your suggestions are noted down :)
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

vicmarcal wrote:
Murmur wrote:disappointed in the lack of a response from anyone who is capable of making decisions.
Haos, hto and me are ReactOS Board Members. We are "capable of making decisions" as we vote in the ReactOS Meetings.
So your suggestions are noted down :)
thanks!

I would also like to point out that we could copy a layout from Mozilla's site a bit because they have a good layout for new users.
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Introduction
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Slight correction, not board members, since there is no "board" of the project. You're "members" of the project.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

And, distancing myself from it, I'm not a member.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Another thought would be hitting up Google on key words for their search engine.
"Free windows" and combinations of -> Cheap, low price
"open source windows"
"windows WGA" -> bypass, fix, removal ~ (For people who might be looking for an free alternative but don't know there is one)
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

I would suggest hacking sites or project sites.
Asking an admin to advertize or add a post to link here might bring in others that are willing to take on a project or submit patches.
rosfanatic

Post by rosfanatic »

Yeah marketing is all about 1. reaching and 2 converting. success requires doing both of these well.
This was the reason behind an earlier post asking about the viability of a nice progress graph breaking down the whole project into modules and submodules, with easy to read progress tracking on each part- this lets users and,more importantly, potential new devs to quickly get a feel for where everything is, and where help is most needed, etc. The Mono project did this in the early years and it worked amazingly well.
Of course this is all on the conversion side. The reaching side, I like some of the ideas posted here- I really like the one about contacting open source project devs and ask them about testing on ROS... great way to find qualified potential contributors.
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

One word of caution. I saw the comment on hacking sites. We have to be careful there to not get anyone who has seen MS code for whatever part they propose to work on.
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

One word of caution. I saw the comment on hacking sites. We have to be careful there to not get anyone who has seen MS code for whatever part they propose to work on.
There are a few hacking sites that write code from scratch and those are the ones I was aiming at.
As for the MS code as long as they are told before they write any code and submit it there shouldnt be a problem.
Honestly I have looked at the code so in turn I respect the wishes of the project to not help write code.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I checked out the meeting minuets and I did not see anything about the PR / Recruiting info we have been talking about for the past two weeks. Was there nothing talked about or it was missed? I would like to help with getting more people helping out and I can't quite do that when I don't have any backing from the team.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I don't recall PR/recruitment being on the agenda/no one proposed adding it to the agenda. Therefore it was not discussed. This is, from my perspective, due to there being no concrete proposal or point being raised.