GSOC

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

GSOC

Post by cmoibenlepro »

What are the status of the Summer of Code projects?
Are they complete?
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: GSOC

Post by Z98 »

Oh yeah, I suppose I should publish the newest newsletter.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I like news! :D
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Will they stay on with us?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Thanks for the newsletter :D

BTW, what happened with the Indian guy who was supposed to code sound support? He left with the money?
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Thank you for the newsletter, indeed; it is quite clear to everybody that it is not an easy task to prepare all information for "public consumption".
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Great news letter extremely readable thanks Z98
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Thanks for the newsletter :D

BTW, what happened with the Indian guy who was supposed to code sound support? He left with the money?
I think he probably got overwhelmed and behind schedule. I would love to hear the reports of the 3 who didn't successfully finish their projects. Maybe they will finish them in their own time, but we will see.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

A bit off topic, but I read a feature about Native Client a few days ago and saw that ScummVM already takes advantage of it, and I had a lightbulb moment where I wondered Google's support of ReactOS might have something to do with a desire to run Windows programs in their browser-only Chrome OS.

Forgive the stream of consciousness babble, but I haven't had time to really develop the thought. I know that Chrome OS is a Linux-based OS, which means Wine could probably be incorporated into it, but Wine only works on x86 versions of Linux. NaCl allows software written in ANSI-standardized languages like C to be run in Chrome regardless of the platform. Without the source code, the vast majority of Windows applications can't be ported to NaCl, but could a project like Wine or ReactOS be ported to NaCl and used to run unported Windows binaries? ScummVM is only a collection of graphical adventure interpreters, but isn't it only a matter of time before emulators like Bochs and DOSBox start to appear for NaCl?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm just thinking that Windows 8 for ARM is going to compete with Android, and Google might want a way to run Windows software on their own platforms.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Reactos needs, as windows does too, low level access to the hardware components to run. Sure, there's stuff like colinux, but this was a nice and hackish task to get Linux run that way. In theory you can get this done, but it has absolutely no priority.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

EmuandCo wrote:Reactos needs, as windows does too, low level access to the hardware components to run.
What about low-level access to emulated hardware? Of course, ARM tablets and netbooks probably don't yet have the power to emulate even the low system requirements of ReactOS, let alone the system requirements of the Windows programs. Oh well, it was just a thought.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The thing that would hamper a port of Wine to NaCl would be the restricted instruction set in NaCl. The Windows API provides far too much functionality, especially with respect to I/O, to be ported easily to something like NaCl. While anything is hypothetically possible, there are practical limits that make a proposal not worthwhile to pursue, especially when easier alternatives exist. ReactOS is an operating system and by definition one doesn't port an OS to an API.