is the contact with the russian president cultivated ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

is the contact with the russian president cultivated ?

Post by wildschwein »

I read the news that the russian president has seen Reactos. GREAT !

Are you aware that this "connection" must be cultivated. Yeah, I know that he hasn't got the time to take care about this, but you should keep contact with his consultants.

What about to send to the president a "paket" with a test-CD an some documents, that descripe shortly what Reactos is, what it wants, (what it not wants) and present some of the people behind Reactos.

Perhaps he on is own has not the time to care intensivly, but his consultants will inform him.

If he knews how great it would be to have a small, effectivly programmed Windows-compatible OS, that ist maintained from a big community world-wide, he would certainly give Reactos in an instant 10 Millions or more !
Murmur

Re: is the contact with the russian president cultivated ?

Post by Murmur »

And this is why I tried to get a PR team together months ago.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

all the info has been sent :)
The ball is now in his hands :)
Be sure we are correctly tracking it ;)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:all the info has been sent :)
Cool, thanks vicmarcal!
Please keep the our community informed about any developments, as you always do.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fred02 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:all the info has been sent :)
Cool, thanks vicmarcal!
Please keep the our community informed about any developments, as you always do.
Sure, you know, I am the "Forum spy" in the "ReactOS Board" ;)...but shhh....it's a secret...
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

"Mr Predident, you should look at this item.There are about fourty freaks out in the world, who try to write a free compatiible windows system.This would be a perfect methode to save millions and millions of licence cost of microsoft for our government computers. Additionaly we could score of the USA, hehe, and don't need no longer to work with the computer system of the "enemy".

"hm....sound good, what would that cost ?"

"Mr President, only a million Euro or perhaps two"

"Michajlowitsch, why do you ask me then, send them two millions from the petty cash - and a big bottle of finest wodka - just NOW"
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

("Cultivated"?! - Well, no doubt it is "cultivated", after all, I hardly expect a man in his position to lose his nerve over trifles...)

Now back on topic: I think the first thing they will do is to check how "useable" it is and real world usage I would truly measure by "hours of user operation" rather than "count of programs"; if you use MS Office or Open Office 50% of the time, internet browsing for 10% and e-mails for 20%, with the other twenty percent going to entertainment, then indeed, the "usage percentage" stands and falls with A FEW main applications (read: not in the area of 1000 but more in the area of 10). And for government uses (read: computers in some village in Siberia, logging and computing mostly administrative work about people's pensions and roads etc.), that figure might be attained quickly. - And what would a bureaucrat care about the lack of USB, if he e.g. is NOT ALLOWED to use it? - Think it this way: computers for them are "black boxes that do n things"; and they seriously do not care that they could do "m other things", because for the m other things, they would buy "other" computers. (In the eyes of the public, e.g., PCs and Servers are _fundamentally_ different: because the first one "displays text and pictures" and the second one "transfers e-mails and shows the internet".)

Then the second thing they do will be to assess "how legal" it is. MS may have as many patents as they like, the EU I think does not recognise them - and I would be surprised if Russia, or anyone else in his right mind, does. For all I know, due to the lack of agreements, execution inside Russia would be not easy, either, even if you WIN court proceedings outside of Russia. The main issue at hand is that ReactOS must not have COPIED, but IMITATED - and the latter not "slavishly" (which is not the case, looking at how similar Gnome, KDE, etc. look like - "the market" apparently allows things to get pretty far). - I am more curious about THAT evaluation, as ultimately this is what this project stands and falls with; I guess it shall never be offered to public consumption, though. From a first look, I guess it would be OK.

As to the other hypotheses about "Russia, and China, and the EU, and whatnot - UNITE AGAINST MICROSOFT AND THE EVIL US IMPERIALIST AGGRESSORS" - let us stay with feet on the ground. An OS is _N_O_T_H_I_N_G_ which states would get into conflict over. (Private entities, like people or companies, do.) - So what I believe is to hope for is that, while Medvedev will have himself forgotten about the matter, he has found some official who could establish contact with interested Russian private investors.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Just some words before not off topicing here more ;)
COPYING is bad (copying is trying to sell a chinese watch as Rolex when it is not)
IMITATING?I would use better the word CLONING.
About imitating/cloning:
-Mercedes created the first car, are Ford,General Motors IMITATING?
-How many brands of coke drinks do we have in the market?Are they imitating?is it illegal?
-How many brands of biscuit+layer of chocolate+biscuit does exist?Are they illegal?
Moving to the software:
-Is OpenOffice imitating MSoffice?Is it illegal?
Moving to the OSes:
-Was the first Windows version using a graphical interface and hence imitating Apple?Is it illegal?

No,"Imitating" is not illegal,evenmore,if the laws stops the "imitating" then it is helping the creation of monopolies :)

We can open a new thread to talk about this :)
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Dear vicmarcal,

I meant the concept of "slavish imitation" - in German, "sklavische Nachahmung".

For an explanation, see here:

http://books.google.at/books?id=ykC8Ti1 ... es&f=false

... and for an example where Lego became "famous" not the way it may have intended:

http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/g ... ance=ARRET

I have no clue how this is going to be for software exactly, but the examinations in the antitrust cases may be of interest, e.g.:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f200400/200457.htm

http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/g ... ance=ARRET

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/down ... cision.pdf

-- in particular with regard to the interoperability issues.

(I do not think you need a new thread, this will most likely not go on all too much...)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

wildschwein wrote:What about to send to the president a "paket" with a test-CD an some documents,
Send him a thank-you note and some cookies! :D :lol:

ReactOS has just taken a small step up in the world.