Request for testing on real hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

Re: Request for testing on real hardware

Post by betaluva »

i tried a different harddrive and ReactOS installsand boots using Standard Uniprocessor ,the only problem now when i try to open Task manager ReactOs blue screens, any way heres a vid of ReactOS working: http://youtu.be/O-A3V5c88HE

UPDATE:
im happy with ReactOS build 54291 on real hardware but there are 2 major bugs:
1 when i try to open Taskmanager ReactOS bluescreens
2 when you try to specify a location for a hardware driver the menu freezes which causes ReactOS to freeze, sooo, then you try to open Taskmanger to cancel the installer menu and ReactOS crashes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6sKUz71MhU

* the network card driver was installed using the Driver Installation applet but this time i choose "search removeable media" and it found the driver.

* Can i make a feature request, when you press the winkey+pause/break key the sysyem properties window should open, its been a feature since Windows 95 and its a usefull one

-----------------------------
-----------------------------

so as a roundup:

email: working using Thunderbird
internet: working using Firefox 2 ( newer builds work but i like Firefox2 )
A drive: works,yes,you can use your trusty (crusty?) old floppy disks
D drive: works, i can open my CDr,s etc
USB: keyboard not detected (usinga ps2 keyboard), mouse not detected (using ps2 adapter on usb mouse ),
usb e-sata harddrive not detected, usb flash drive not detected.
Directx: have not tried any games that require directx support.
Applications: download and install fine via ReactOS,s Application Installer, apps also download and install fine via the internet.
Themes: themeing of Windows and menu,s works, themeing of explorer sort of works.
Video players: zero nedia players run,vlc installs but will not start.
Stability: itseasy to make ReactOS bluescreen but just reboot and ReactOS is fine.
Last edited by betaluva on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
igorko

Post by igorko »

Confirming point 2: "Reactos "driver Install Menu" Error " when button labels disappear. I have the same on my real HW. But iirc sometimes i still can move mouse so OS doesn't freeze, but only driver setup freezes.
DarkSnake-Kobra

Post by DarkSnake-Kobra »

I just burnt the disc and tried installing it on a Dell Inspiron 1318 Laptop with the following hardware:

1 J075D Processor, T2390, 1.86, 1MB, 2C Pentium Merom Dual Core, M0
1 XK850 ASSEMBLY..., ADAPTER..., ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 65W, 3P, DELTA - AC ADAPT..., M1330
1 N073F GUIDE..., QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE..., INSPIRON..., 1318, ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 J2551 Cord, Power, 110 Volt, 3F, ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 3W P65, UNITED STATES...
1 H510G GUIDE..., PRODUCT..., INFORMATION..., SERI, ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., WORLD WIDE...
1 G383G GUIDE..., PRODUCT..., INFORMATION..., WSI, ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 JM629 Keyboard, 86, United States English, Single Pointing Barents, Vostro
0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 R020C Kit, Software, Works, 9, English
1 FR270 TECHNICAL SHEET..., WARRANTY..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 WR047 Battery, Primary, 56WHR, 6C Lithium, Samsung Power Division
1 X469D BEZEL..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., PLASTIC..., W/CMRA, 1318
1 R340H Bracket, Clip, Hinge, Right Liquid Crystal Display, 1318
1 P399H Bracket, Clip, Hinge, Left, LiquidCrystal Display, 1318
1 G112H Assembly, Cable, Coaxial, Low Voltage Differential Signaling1318
1 F084D Kit, Software, Roxio, 10-0, Dell Edition
2 Y9530 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 1GB, 667, 128X64, 8K, 200
1 Y538D Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 8, SLOT, 1318 Sony Nec Optiarc Inc.
1 F205H Assembly, Cover, Liquid Crystal Display, Back, W/CMER, 1318
1 DP157 Assembly, Camera, 2M, Integrated Manufactured In China, Latin America, M085
1 YT243 Assembly, Heatsink, Notebook MEROM, Unified Memory Architecture, M1330
1 X472D Assembly, Palmrest, 1318
1 W565D Assembly, Cover, Hinge, 1318
1 C236D ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., NOTEBOOK..., 1318
1 W510G Liquid Crystal Display 13.3WXGA, True Life, Video elec.Stds. Assoc, Samsung, V3
1 Y794D Kit, Software, VHP32SP1, DigitalVideo Disk Drive, Multiple, 5
1 Y939C Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 8.0-00 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE
1 RM067 HARD DRIVE..., 160GB, S2, 5.4, 9.5, WD-ML160
1 JR356 Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG
1 TR687 Technical Sheet, Terms And Conditions, Generic, Retail

Grabbed this from the Dell Website with my Service Tag. It actually has 3 GB ram now rather then 2. I used the SVN build 54340 boot/debug cd. It wouldn't go past the first screen where it loaded the kernel and other files. Sat at a black screen after that. Tried switching from a sata to an ahci configuration to no success.
Xubuntu 11.10 x32 Running VirtualBox: |FreeBSD|FreeDOS|ReactOS|
[ external image ]
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

AHCI is not supported. Sata is - partially, those controllers which are supported by uniata.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Since the original poster mentions USB, I tried a USB keyboard and a USB logitec mouse against revision 54284 on a couple of systems.

First on a KT7A with VIA VT83V572/VT82C586 USB: Neither the mouse or keyboard are recognized

Second on a BIOSTAR A770E3: had to disable "legacy USB" to get ReactOS to boot! Again, neither the mouse or keyboard were recognized.

Also, it would BSOD when I tried to install the drivers for my Rtl8169 network card (driver version 5.649.0615)
Vort

Post by Vort »

livecd-54340-dbg.iso

Motherboard: Soltek SL-75
BIOS: Rev Q11 (09/30/02)
USB controller: 1106:3038

PS/2-Keyboard - does not work
COM-Mouse - does not work
USB-Mouse (Logitech M-UAE96) - does not work
Power button - computer shuts down immediately

(on WinXP all of this are working well)
Cray

Post by Cray »

Guys I have about 6 month old MacBook, I could do thorough testing with screenshots and videos if applicable if you need it. Should I do it or do any of you developers already have a similar machine and this would be a waste of time?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I don't expect that ReactOS will get very far on hardware that new, so you probably don't need to do anything as labor-intensive as creating screenshots and videos. Try to install ReactOS and report how far you got, and any error log you're able to produce.

The point of this real hardware testing, for anyone who was wondering, is that, in the real world, there are thousands of different motherboards, hard drives, graphics cards, sound cards, network cards, keyboards, mice, etc. ReactOS runs in various emulators and virtualization suites because they emulate only a few devices, which ReactOS has been able to build support for. That's awesome and all that's necessary for the OS to be released as a "virtualization-only OS", but the OS needs to be flexible enough to deal with a wide array of hardware before it can become a real-world OS. Your reports of what hardware you have and what caused ReactOS to not get along with that hardware are invaluable.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

I've disabled the USB driver on the latest build (r54347) due to issues like breaking boot with certain systems and very few people having success with it on real hardware. This should fix the boot issue that SomeGuy had on his Biostar board with legacy USB enabled (please post if it doesn't).

On another note, live CDs have no support for ACPI right now due to the way the ACPI HAL is detected and installed, so ACPI can be expected to be inactive when running a live CD.

In regards to the RTL8169 crash, could you get a debug log and back trace from ROS (see http://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging)? You should see a "kdbg:>" prompt. When you see that, type "bt" (without quotes) and press enter. Then either file a bug and attach the log to the bug (preferred) or just post a pastebin link of the log here.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Submitted bug and debug log http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6651
Installing NDIS 5.1 Rtl8169 driver BSODs.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

I've fixed a couple more bugs related to running ROS on real hardware. In particular, the RTL8169, 3Com cards, and some other NICs should now work, but testing would be appreciated. Grab the latest trunk build and give it a shot.
sanjon

Post by sanjon »

the testing really worked well.
Only my Video drivers were not working and the Mouse
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

sanjon wrote:the testing really worked well.
Only my Video drivers were not working and the Mouse
What kind of mouse did you use?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Now that networking is working great again, I threw a couple of sound cards at it. I tried a C-media 8738 based card and a VIA1723 based card but both BSODed at startup after installing the drivers.

I also tried the open source "cmidriver" http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/ on the c-media card. It loaded but there was no sound and ReactOS behaved as if no sound driver was installed.

Just to double check I also retried the Intel 82801AA AC'97 sound driver in VirtualBox and that doesn't seem to be working quite right either. (It acts as if no sound driver is installed but the weird thing is it worked briefly during one random reboot then went back to not working :? )
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

SomeGuy wrote:Now that networking is working great again
Good to hear :D
SomeGuy wrote:I tried a C-media 8738 based card and a VIA1723 based card but both BSODed at startup after installing the drivers.
If you could provides the logs and/or file bugs that would be great. I can't guarantee that they'll get fixed since I'm not very familiar with the sound stack.
SomeGuy wrote:Just to double check I also retried the Intel 82801AA AC'97 sound driver in VirtualBox and that doesn't seem to be working quite right either. (It acts as if no sound driver is installed but the weird thing is it worked briefly during one random reboot then went back to not working :? )
Was this the driver in the ReactOS Applications Manager or an official Intel one?