ReactOS:(Latest day) HAS WON 1000€!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: ReactOS:(Latest day) HAS WON 1000€!

Post by vicmarcal »

Witch wrote:
1.) Because they didn't deserve this money.

They did nothing but send an inaccurate email and late newsletter that caused some people to not even confirm their one vote. Because people had to blindly click through things in German even though there was instructions it was presented in a blasé fire-and-forget way.
I am not agree. ReactOS devs sent an email to all its suscribers and a forum request.
If ReactOS would had sent more emails some voices would have raised claiming a potential Spam.

If I work with somebody in real life that doesn't show the slightest effort in what they started, then I would think that they are wasting my time and thus don't deserve my time.
Do you realize that Reactos devs are DAILY working to push ReactOS forward?Do you think that spending their free time DAILY is not enough effort?

• Time = Money
Tell that to the Time spent by ReactOS devs DAILY.

• They did nothing to rally the ReactOS fanbase after the inaccurate email and late newsletter.
I dont speak German, and I was able to follow the email.7000 others did too.
  • They showed no effort to coordinate things like they didn't care about the fanbase's efforts.
Don't ask about caring for puntual fanbase effort when you were not able to care about the continuous effort made by the ReactOS devs.
Btw, did you read this month meeting minutes?You will fin an OWND there, read the PR new team creation. Oh?How many opensouce projects publish the meeting results in order that the fanbase can know about the milestones/objectives?Isnt writting a 500 words report each month a good effort?
  • A thank you note at the end of the competition isn't equal to showing signs of effort and care during the competition.
No, giving you the thanks at the end is indeed better.It is a sign of consideration. Is giving you the thanks a bad move?
3.) ReactOS shows disrespect to fanbase, then disrespect is what they will get back.
-Asking politely you to help without spamming
-Writting monthly reports in a commun language oriented to ReactoS followers/fanbase
-Thanking your efforts after the contest is finished.
-Creating a potential PR Team (as you can read in November Meeting minutes)
Is this disrespectful? Point me any other opensource project that thanks,doesnt spam and writes Meeting minutes.

• ReactOS didn't need this money to survive even if they would have lost. Internet, hardware and server cost would still be operational and business as usual would still continue.
Do you know that someone must pay servers, new hardware,domains, hosting?
Btw, and repated with your "ReactOS devs are disrepcetful with the fanbase": Do you know that Devs are "donating money to the project" to pay these expenses?Check the donnors list! Even more: ReactOS project is using Servers and Bandwith provided by ReactoS devs!!
So no!They are not just spending their spare time in ReactOS!No!They are not just even "Donating" money directly to the project!But also helping with their own servers and maintenance?
Now please: Do you think they dont care enough?Do you think they dont deserve your 4 minutes of votings?
  • This money is only a water drop in the ocean. Compared to the kind of money that ReactOS can collect if they just did what I suggest, but they don't care. They haven't cared for 3 years about doing things like that.
Yeah!keep it coming ;)
So here Devs and the Project are the main responsible of anything: Are you actively helping?
Dont you think that maybe the problem is not just in that sode?Maybe the Community can help a little more?Just 10 or 15(!) Forum guys are helping testing or donating!
Witch

Post by Witch »

1.) Email
vicmarcal wrote: I am not agree. ReactOS devs sent an email to all its suscribers and a forum request.
If ReactOS would had sent more emails some voices would have raised claiming a potential Spam.
vicmarcal wrote: No, giving you the thanks at the end is indeed better.It is a sign of consideration. Is giving you the thanks a bad move?
The campaign would've worked smoother and more robust if there was a shepherd from official ReactOS that could lead the way from Start, Middle and End. Just showing up in the Start and End isn't disrespectful to fanbase it's just weird I'm trying to say.

vicmarcal wrote: I dont speak German, and I was able to follow the email.7000 others did too.
That's because you are part of the inner circle. 7000 others might not be part of the inner circle like you true.
But I'm trying to say that finding out that 1 person failed to verify their single vote because they couldn't or just being plain lazy to read through the whole instruction. Is one little leak that needs to be addressed.

Then finding out on forums that people ask all the time what the German says is another little leak that needs to be addressed.

That email is like creating a computer program. Small insignificant leaks can lead to big river problems. It would be nice if small things like that would've been addressed during the campaign. With the goal to create a cleaner and more effective email.

2.) Care and effort
vicmarcal wrote: Do you realize that Reactos devs are DAILY working to push ReactOS forward?Do you think that spending their free time DAILY is not enough effort?
Well I was only speaking about this campaign in particular when I said that there was no official shepherd that showed that they cared, by displaying some kind of effort during (Middle) the whole thing. There was just (Start) email, (Middle) nothing, (End) thank you. That's a weird way of somebody to show that they care about a campaign that they started themselves.

My respect for the ReactOS devs efforts reaches back to the retired ones that's no longer even active today 10-15 years later. But just because you show effort in one area doesn't mean that you don't have to show some effort in other areas. People aren't mind readers and know of every single detail that happens under the hood you know. I'm just trying to say that's another little leak that needed to be addressed during (Middle) the campaign and not after.

3.) Meeting reports
How many opensouce projects publish the meeting results in order that the fanbase can know about the milestones/objectives?Isnt writting a 500 words report each month a good effort?
The effort is appreciated. But other open source projects didn't need to do that because a majority of all the end users only cares about the end product.
Last edited by Witch on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witch

Post by Witch »

4.) Water drops formula VS. Ocean formula
vicmarcal wrote:
  • This money is only a water drop in the ocean. Compared to the kind of money that ReactOS can collect if they just did what I suggest, but they don't care. They haven't cared for 3 years about doing things like that.
Yeah!keep it coming ;)
So here Devs and the Project are the main responsible of anything: Are you actively helping?
Dont you think that maybe the problem is not just in that sode?Maybe the Community can help a little more?Just 10 or 15(!) Forum guys are helping testing or donating!
And I'm trying to say to you guys that you are doing things the olden way. Why walk the same path as some other mediocre projects when you could walk your own path that has MUCH greater potential?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

First, I think that people who voted ReactOS did it because they felt ReactOS in fact deserved the 1000 euros. At least, that's why I did vote them.
Second, none of the organizations you named need the money either.
Third, what you see like a disrespectful attitude against ReactOS fanbase, I see it like they're overrating our skill to read the context. In fact, that's more like a gratification, rather than an insult.
Fourth, giving the money will not make ReactOS swim in money. It's like you give the water in your pool, you'll end up swimming in concrete.

I believe your intentions are quite good, but you are proposing your speech like an absolute truth and telling it in a very aggressive way, which actually distorts your good intentions.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Witch, I want to make a small correction. Your idea to give the money to Google isn't only lame, it is the stupidest idea in the universe of stupid ideas.

If you don't care about ReactOS, why do you even post here?
If you didn't care about ReactOS development and developers, why did you vote for it? Why didn't you vote for another project? Why don't you give 99% of your salary to Google if you like them so much? Then, using the same magic thought as you proposed, Google would then be magically at your service. Also give them all your savings too. That would be great! Anyway, you do not need that money since you lived until now without spending those savings. You should put your money where your mouth is.

It's like politics, if I voted for one party, and that party won but decided to give their votes for another party with ideas completely opposite, I would be pissed.
Like if I voted for Obama, but then he gave the office of the president of united states to republicans, it would be rude, insulting and disrespectful for all the people who voted for him.
Taking votes for Reactos and then donating to a big corporation like Google would be the same thing.

Then why there was a Summer of Code? Reactos could have done it for free. Or they could have paid Google to be part of it, and developers would have coded things for other google projects?
Your logic sucks.
ReactOS shows disrespect to fanbase, then disrespect is what they will get back.
No it would NOT only be disrespect against developers, it would be disrespect against reactos fanbase, and it would be disrespectful against me.

You are insulting me.
So I keep my position, your idea is stupid and very rude.

Please apology to all other reactos followers that you insulted, myself included.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

It is actually a bit horrible to see what types of unthinkable discussions are going on here... See, I also check out the discussions over at FreeBSD and NetBSD, and they are the most "to the point"; I check there for solutions also for analogous Linux problems. Far behind comes Ubuntu - there the discussions are a bit too full with lots of cluelessness. And then... long comes nothing... and then come threads like THIS one.

As to the 1000 EUR, I believe their main advantage to ReactOS is not their monetary face value, but their symbolic value:

1. There are enough people who "care". Let us be sincere, voting was not "too" easy. It was not hard, either, but it was not a "one-click-solution", you had to confirm your vote. - That makes us an interesting (economic and reputational) target and is in itself a benefit.

2. "YOU, AS A COMPANY, CAN GIVE MONEY TO REACTOS." Now THAT is the true benefit: the recognition as a serious entity. This is not some "grey area". This is a legal effort towards a Windows-compatible system.

3. WHAT type of UTTER CRAP is this regarding the devs?! - I mean, I am certainly no fan of not yet having working USB support (and yes, that is a bit ridiculous) and a driver mess, apart from the bugs that need to be removed currently... But I DID read the meeting minutes, and it is quite obvious that now they are fighting TEDIOUS and BORING issues, issues which NOBODY LIKES to handle, namely fighting well-hidden bugs. Now if this is not a sign of commitment...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

As moderator:

Hi guys!
This was supposed to be a Happy thread, ReactOS was able to win 1000€!But seems it's slowly diverging from the original topic and the original mood :)
Anyone who cares to post in ReactOS forum wants the best for this project.I am sure noone will lose its time posting here if he/she doesn't care enough.
There are people not agree with the way of how ReactOS PR was being handled since long ago. In order to "fix" this problem the ReactOS project has considered the possibility of creating a PR Team focused in this specific area.
Managing PR without having a proper-dedicated team has been a difficult task during all this time, and we have tried to do our best but it was not a dedicated team.
Hope all the problems related to PR will be solved gradually after the PR Team creation. At least PR Team will handle all the actual problems, suggestions and criticism.
Begin doing a list of PR tasks and when the time arrives the team will work on it.
Criticism is always wellcome!
And now...let's keep the good fantastic mood and the topic!Big thanks!
Witch

Post by Witch »

Sorry Vicmarcal sometimes I just don't know how to present ideas in the best ways.

If there only was some kind of official procedure I could follow when suggesting ideas, then I would be able to present things in a more orderly fashion. Instead of answering random people that only give me the word "lame" to work with.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Sorry Vicmarcal sometimes I just don't know how to present ideas in the best ways.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I forgive you.
Merry Christmas :D
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Please do not revive an old thread.