Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Panopticom

Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Post by Panopticom » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm

I have recently tested Firefox 48, Mypal and a little bit of Opera on ROS (installed through the Appmanager) and my concussion is that Mypal is the best browser out there. Mypal is derived from Pale Moon (itself derived from Firefox) and updated with WinXP binaries regularly.

Video, tested on real ThinkPad T430: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Fjew1Z16Q

Mypal
+ has a modern rendering engine and can display all sites without errors that I have tried
- does not play youtube videos despite officially supporting video extensions

Firefox 48
+ can play youtube videos (choppy)
- has some rendering bugs, example is the yt page itself, getting worse as FF48 ages more

Alternatives or opinons?

ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27 am

Have you tried newer versions of those browsers? Firefox 52.9 was the last to run on XP and the MyPal version of RAPPs seems to be a really outdated version. There has been many updates since then.

binarymaster

Post by binarymaster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 pm

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27 am
Firefox 52.9 was the last to run on XP and the MyPal version of RAPPs seems to be a really outdated version.
There are some known problems running Firefox 52.9.0ESR in ReactOS (and that's why this version is not added in RAPPS), check out JIRA.

Panopticom

Post by Panopticom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Someone on reddit posted this concerning browsers:

For the latest XP/ReactOS browsers, I recommend using roytam1's browser builds (New Moon 28/Serpent 52 for XP; New Moon 27 for ReactOS). Reason why i can't recommend NM28 for ReactOS is that it's based on Goanna/UXP, which was forked from Gecko 52, and due to a problem on ReactOS' side when running Firefox versions not less than 49 (JIRA), so unless it's fixed - can't recommend it.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part-2/

Compared to regular Pale Moon 27, which the official development has stopped long time ago, this one still is unofficially supported by the author, backporting fixes i.a. from Arctic Fox.

As of that HTML5 problem, it can be solven by copying the LAV codec DLLs to the root folder of the browser. It should also work for MyPal 27, not only for roytam's New Moon 27

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... nt=1171972

Walt

Post by Walt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:52 am

Panopticom wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm
Mypal
+ has a modern rendering engine and can display all sites without errors that I have tried
- does not play youtube videos despite officially supporting video extensions

Firefox 48
+ can play youtube videos (choppy)
- has some rendering bugs, example is the yt page itself, getting worse as FF48 ages more

Alternatives or opinons?
I'm doing okay with FF 30.0 under ros 0.4.12. It doesn't do video but does display websites correctly in general, including allowing DISQUS commenting. Dell Lat. D610, 32 gb hdd. Except for the features that aren't there yet this would be 100% usable -- but it hangs with near-100% cpu for FF task 'sometimes' and also BSOD pointing to TCPIP.sys 'sometimes' -- this may be only one bug. Five minutes, an hour ... when it strikes is random.

Other than that it's perfectly usable -- I'm using it now.

Later FF's -- don't know exactly HOW MUCH later -- hang with nothing on the screen. But 48 certainly does.

You can find add-ons for old FF by searching for CA-archive and installing that big add-on on a later FF under XP -- I use the 52 ESR. From that massive compilation of descriptions you can find by name or function and the suppliers mostly list what FF's they work with and allow download. Port them to ROS in whatever way you do that, install, good to go.

A very useful utility is desktop restore -- right click on desktop you can save layout. Then when ROS rearranges it right click and click 'restore desktop.' The file is 'deskinstu.msi' and a search for that will probably find it.

VERY CLOSE to being able to replace most of my use of XP with ROS! Fix the crashes, USB support, that's IT.