Put ReactOS in the start menu - Linux

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadnessRed

Put ReactOS in the start menu - Linux

Post by MadnessRed »

In windows you have a simple bat file to run to load up ReactOS in Qemu. In Ubuntu, you have to go through a lot more. here is a basic tutorial to get ReactOS running in Ubuntu, without you having to go through terminal every time you want to use it.
[ external image ]

//First you need QEMU, if you don't already have it here is how to get it.
[*] Click "System" > "Administration" > "Symnaptic Package Manager"
[*] Type in you root password. If you are the Admin and you aren't sure, try typing in your own password as often it is the same.
[*] Select "All"
[*] Type "qemu" and you will go to in the list. There should be a plain white square, click on it, not that if it is green then you already have QEMU so you can just skip to next instruction.
//Next you may want kqemu accelerator.
[*] Type in kqemu, and then select kqemu-common in the same way that you selected qemu.
//Now apply the changes
[*] Click the green tick that says apply.
[*] A window appears, change nothing and press apply again.
[*] Let it install, once its finished close down Symnaptic

//Now for those who already have qemu, Join us here.
[ external image ]
[*] Select "System" > "Preferences" > "Main Menu"

[*] Select the folder where you want to create the link

[ external image ]
[*] Select "New Item"

[ external image ]
[*] Where it says command type in the following.

Code: Select all

qemu -m 1024 -hda '[path-to-reactos-qemu-folder]/files/ReactOS.vdmk
[ external image ]
[*] To check that you have done that correctly either open terminal or press Alt+F2 and type in you code and press enter. If QEMU run then you did it right. If you get an error or it doesn't work then check you code again, if you still can't get it to work then please post and I will try and help.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[*] Now add the name an optionally a comment. The comment will show when you hover over the item with the mouse.

[*] If you want to set up an icon the next few screens show you have to get one from the ReactOS site. Simply go to the link in the screen, save the image. Then in the "New Item" dialogue, click on the image in the top left, click "Browse", browse to where you saved the icon and the select open. note that this browse window will only show the folders and not the files. You will get a list of images in the folder, select the one you want and press ok.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[*] You have now set up the icon. To run qemu then you can very simply just click on the item in the start menu. Should save time with going through terminal.
[ external image ]

This is my first tutorial so please go easy on me :) I hope the images have uploaded correctly too.

May thanks to everyone at ReactOS for a great OS.

MadnessRed.
Witch

Re: Put ReactOS in the start menu - Linux

Post by Witch »

Thanks MadnessRed I like it when people do this kind of tutorials/pictorials. Maybe it's time for me to re-install Ubuntu again it's been 3 years since I used the brown distro.
MadnessRed

Post by MadnessRed »

Witch wrote:Thanks MadnessRed I like it when people do this kind of tutorials/pictorials. Maybe it's time for me to re-install Ubuntu again it's been 3 years since I used the brown distro.
the brown distro, never heard it called that before. I have been using Ubuntu since 7.04, 9.04 is out in 15 days :), apparently its quite good.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

MadnessRed wrote:
Witch wrote:Thanks MadnessRed I like it when people do this kind of tutorials/pictorials. Maybe it's time for me to re-install Ubuntu again it's been 3 years since I used the brown distro.
the brown distro, never heard it called that before. I have been using Ubuntu since 7.04, 9.04 is out in 15 days :), apparently its quite good.
Yes, it's sounding very good, they say ATI Support has been improved a lot in 9.04, but we'll see.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@OP

Wow... you do like screenshots...
MadnessRed

Post by MadnessRed »

Iyeru wrote:
MadnessRed wrote:
Yes, it's sounding very good, they say ATI Support has been improved a lot in 9.04, but we'll see.
I never noticed it being particularly bad, I have ATi 3850. I get better 3D Mark running under Wine in Linux than Windows.
Haos wrote:@OP

Wow... you do like screenshots...
yh, sorry, maybe a few too many.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its ok with me:>
Witch

Post by Witch »

Next step is to make one of those Screencasts, however I've always preferred flipping through html picture tutorials than looking at videos. But maybe less tech people like my mother's generation would appreciate Screencasts more than my own preferences. When ReactOS becomes mature in the future people who doesn't play with computers for fun might need these kind of tools and aids.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/FAQ#Screencasts
Isn't a text how-to guide good enough?

Many people find they learn better by seeing how something looks than by reading a text description.

Adding screenshots to a how-to guide should be enough?

A video can often show a lot more detail than a series of screenshots. It isn't easy to demonstrate for example a conversation on IRC, dragging and dropping, or 3D desktop effects with screenshots alone.
MadnessRed

Post by MadnessRed »

Witch wrote:Next step is to make one of those Screencasts, however I've always preferred flipping through html picture tutorials than looking at videos. But maybe less tech people like my mother's generation would appreciate Screencasts more than my own preferences. When ReactOS becomes mature in the future people who doesn't play with computers for fun might need these kind of tools and aids.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/FAQ#Screencasts
Isn't a text how-to guide good enough?

Many people find they learn better by seeing how something looks than by reading a text description.

Adding screenshots to a how-to guide should be enough?

A video can often show a lot more detail than a series of screenshots. It isn't easy to demonstrate for example a conversation on IRC, dragging and dropping, or 3D desktop effects with screenshots alone.
personally I prefer Macromedia Captivate :), however I couldn't get it working on linux.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

MadnessRed wrote:personally I prefer Macromedia Captivate :), however I couldn't get it working on linux.
Wink (tutorial software)
MadnessRed

Post by MadnessRed »

coldReactive wrote:
MadnessRed wrote:personally I prefer Macromedia Captivate :), however I couldn't get it working on linux.
Wink (tutorial software)
lol that didn't exist how ever many years ago when I tried to install captivate :)
thanks for the link.
linuxguy666

Post by linuxguy666 »

Here's a VirtualBox version: (also KDE-idifed)
  • Right click the KDE LOGO in the taskbar.
  • Add a new item under System. (call the item like this: ReactOS)
  • Type in the command box:

Code: Select all

VBoxSDL -startvm ReactOS
  • Save the changes to the menu.
  • Make sure that a VM called ReactOS is set up in VirtualBox. (Rename your ROS VM "ReactOS" or modify the "ReactOS" part in the command box of the menu item if needed)
I have tested this. (NO jokes)