► (2/3) ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Blue

► (2/3) ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by Blue »

About This Thread:
Please Note: Thread will have a task list limit of 20 adjustment actions posted below.
☻ (Reason for EDIT) Fixing the body of the page for easier reading.
☻ (Reason for EDIT) INTRO has been added to the thread body.
☻ (Reason for EDIT) Thread titles have been adjusted.

I welcome all comments over this topic & if you feel anything is wrong please let me know in your posting(s).

Name: Blue
► 2 ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪
☻ Thread Last Updated: 4/25/2014
☻ Build: ReactOS-0.3.16-REL-iso
☻ ReactOS is running in Oracle VM VirtualBox.
☻ (Thread Status): COMPLUTED
☻ [Task total left] = 0

INTRO
Please note: To everyone reading thread. Thank you, for taken the time out of your busy day to read from- Blue. :)

Hello everyone I'm Blue. I welcome all comments & thank you, for your time out of your busy day to read what I've write. Hopefully you found what I've listed beneficial to ReactOS builds & helping it get fixed. If you wish to read more of what I have to say. You may look at the following threads & added quick-links.

Thread Linking:
► 1 ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪" : http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13249
► 2 ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪" : Your On
► 3 ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪" : http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 22#p108422
► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪ : http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13250

[ external image ]
Courage makes heroes, but trust builds friendship.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Community theme voting:
1. I would like to see what the community can come up with and add colorSchemes into the main ReactOS ISO on install. The ones with the best VOTES will be placed into the next build release. even though ColorScheme is not a big thing its something! & it can move into compaction art work for the OS & put a limit on how much wallpaper the OS will hold like 50 winners over time. (Later on the OS could open a background website for the OS made by the community). Once it gets stable. (This would also help the community design team come together & this might be the start of great things!). :)
System Tasks:
Hovering control.
2. When hovering over boxes for a limited time a box should appear & tell you what it does, at this time there is no hovering information in the ReactOS system. This can leave you wondering sometimes on what is the goal of the task its trying to complete...

Name change for the "Explore".
3. Change name to ("File Explore") There also could be improvements to this & offer it more like a ReactOS system editor tool as wall as doing its job as a file explore for the React system that even offers quicker way to get into system edit options like "richedit". So I feel the name should change from "Explore" as it makes you feel its a network browser not a system tool. (NEXT TOPIC) ---> ReactOS Explorer also gives [+] on the Disc (D:) even though no media has been read in the system drive, Is there anyway for the system to index this and remember what has been done?

Menu "Help" place movement.
4. Please move "Help" into the programs as its in a permanent placement on the start menu & taking up start menu room & it could also due with a name change to "React help".

Properties for Display (Pictures).
5. When clicking on the "Browse.." box it should take you right into the Picture folder the system and not into the (C:). Where all the System main files are at & placed! This also should keep the system address of the background in the properties for Display for the desktop wallpaper you've picked unless the wallpaper has been deleted or removed from the systems saved location address than maybe keep it as a temp location until a new one has been picked by the user.

None working applications!
6. When a app has stopped working the system Manager does not bring up what you've opened to kill the tree of software to make the system recover.

ReactOS Multimedia Player.
7. Please have the app forward itself to the music folder! - As it is now. You have no music and you hit play it will take you to system32.

Notice Flash.
8. When you have a app open like a system app & you click the app under the one you meant to be on it will flash one time, offering you a clue or notice that you have to deal with me first before you can move on.

Command Prompt "Tree" Command.
9. You can not hit tree in the command Prompt offering locations of software! that could mean if you don't know the OS forwards & backwards, you can not work in the command prompt full time. This could be one of the main problems with the OS not being able to move around smooth as its not keeping the OS Ecosystem from working 100% correct. (As this keeps file location). (NEXT TOPIC) ---> When installing & booting up a new ReactOS system. Now, is there anyway to make a full working index system by it logging all the main system index parts. As it can broke off & add extensions later on to the underling index system for full working compatible order?

My Documents.
10. Please make "My Documents" on start menu be double click-able to enter & nothing else needs to be changed other than having a My Documents folder inside it, as its missing in "My Documents"... (Confusing I know) :shock:

Character Map.
11. When hovering or clicking on a character it should say how to make it & i'm not sure why there is a help box on the right side of font:

Interface opening.
12. Each time you open a interface the screen box will turn blue for a second now, is their anyway to stop the blue flashing from happening as it's buggy on the eyes?

System side information.
13. When looking over files their should be a option to pick to tell you about the software you've click on that ban have a toggle on/off in views.

Properties for Mouse.
14. Add more schemes to the mouse & it does not mean it has to be a large number.

Drag-&-Drop.
15. Desktop drag-&-Drop does not allow me to move icons around on desktop.
- Community question: VM problem or you experiencing this too?

Temp.
16. Please move the Temp folder into the ReactOS systems as their is no reason to have it where its at.

Desktop Removal.
17. Question is there a real reason that the following shortCuts are even on the desktop on installation & not set into the start menu? My Network Places | My Documents | Command Prompt |
Preformats Tools:
Preformats Tools.
18. As the title says. cleaning tools are not setup at all & could be setup in the OS but would not meet the developers goal at this time frame to its full working order... This should get worked on at lest just to start them off...
System Turn off & power Saving:
Power...
19. Please make Energy Saving features more modern. As this is one of key rule that people use allot. (Laptops & other Low-end products).

Power Options.
20. Please make a all in one pop out box for |Power | Sleep | Log Off | Restart | Hibernate |
[ external image ]
Last edited by Blue on Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 am, edited 122 times in total.
Konata

Re: ► 2 ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by Konata »

I'm still not even sure what this is
Blue

Post by Blue »

Konata,
Not even done making it yet laugh. :P

[ external image ]

Edit & added: \/
I'm trying to make a floor plan & point out what I think needs to be worked on in the development to make ReactOS really stand out & give the Dev team something to work towards as a goal plan. As its great they are putting so much time into the kernel and all. It's not always about what the deep system needs, but how the basic system works first & than you take the development into the deep system. As you got all your goals set in line... Apple & Microsoft did not take their Os versions into the deep system first, they made the basic work around system than worked on the deep system & so should ReactOS to move head quicker... Just like at how all the Os versions have changed over time.. That's a good example.

On request:

(If I'm going around it wrong, please let me know & I'll stop making threads like this one. Thank you!). :)
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

Blue wrote: Drag-&-Drop
15. Desktop drag-&-Drop does not allow me to move icons around on desktop.
- Community question: VM problem or you experiencing this too?
Ahh, this makes me happy. I only implemented drag and drop in the shell very recently. It must be working pretty well if you're noticing this.

This is due to a few things (and I've commented on it in the source code) but is probably quite easy. The desktop is a standard list view, we need to have registry entries which record where items are stored, them some simple repositioning code.

If you're interested in having a hack, I'll point you to the right places. Good learning experience.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The past couple of years was spent unraveling the "workarounds" that got ReactOS to the 0.3.0 stage. So no, inserting lots of workarounds doesn't make for faster progress.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:The past couple of years was spent unraveling the "workarounds" that got ReactOS to the 0.3.0 stage. So no, inserting lots of workarounds doesn't make for faster progress.
I agree on this one with z98. I remember the time that ROS was stuffed with workarounds. This was done to make some 'golden apps' work. however, in the long run, these workarounds impeded continuous progress, and are a dead end. The notion that it's better to get rid of all the workarounds, and go for the closest approximation of a windows XP clone, is a good one: in the end, everything will (should) work, then, *without* workarounds.

However, the result was, for a while, that ROs became *worse* in terms of being able to run stuff. The reason was simple: since the workarounds were gone, and the compatibility wasn't of a high level yet, many apps who used to work, didn't work anymore.

I think we're now on the point we've exceeded apps running on it (without using workarounds) than we were at our 'hight' when ROS focused on the golden apps and created workarounds the moment it didn't work anymore. But z98 may know more precise. z98?
milon

Post by milon »

Konata wrote:I'm still not even sure what this is
Essentially, Blue is putting together a comprehensive wish list for what (s)he would like to see in ReactOS.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Guy's please read the thread and stay on topic thanks.. This is not a ReactOS workaround thread!!
Z98 & Webunny read the thread & try to understand what this THREAD is about!

Milon Thank you for the comment above & understanding of what I'm doing here. :D

Doing workarounds is not the goal here & never was the goal.... DOING WORKAROUNDS IS NOT The BEST WAY TO MOVE FORWARD with ReactOS version #XXXXXX... Whatever it will be down the road... I agree as it can back the OS up from going forward and add extra work that should not have to be done later down the road... This is not a great idea or goal to put into building any OS & should of never happened if it did happen in the past... As it clouds the minds of people that are pushing it to move forward & you end up with broken software that used to work because of the bypasses that where put in place.... If people wish to bypass the system than so be it.. People that are working on the OS should not use bypass tools though for the main work.... That's all I'm saying... over this mindless topic that was not even apart of my main body of the thread & more like SPAM NOW!

Anyways, Thank you both for your comments...
Even though they where not really about this type of thread.

From your friendly reviewer,
Blue.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Blue wrote:Guy's please read the thread and stay on topic thanks.. This is not a ReactOS workaround thread!!
Z98 & Webunny read the thread & try to understand what this THREAD is about!

Milon Thank you for the comment above & understanding of what I'm doing here. :D

Doing workarounds is not the goal here & never was the goal.... DOING WORKAROUNDS IS NOT The BEST WAY TO MOVE FORWARD with ReactOS version #XXXXXX... Whatever it will be down the road... I agree as it can back the OS up from going forward and add extra work that should not have to be done later down the road... This is not a great idea or goal to put into building any OS & should of never happened if it did happen in the past... As it clouds the minds of people that are pushing it to move forward & you end up with broken software that used to work because of the bypasses that where put in place.... If people wish to bypass the system than so be it.. People that are working on the OS should not use bypass tools though for the main work.... That's all I'm saying... over this mindless topic that was not even apart of my main body of the thread & more like SPAM NOW!

Anyways, Thank you both for your comments...
Even though they where not really about this type of thread.

From your friendly reviewer,
Blue.

I think the 'adding a hack' triggered it. ;-)

There is nothing wrong with your wish-list of what ROS should be able to do, blue, but, well, I don't think you should expect too much from posting all the wishes here on the forum.

Granted, to some degree I have done the same, like expressing my hope it would have fully working usb on the 0.4 version, but that's based on the assumption that, for a 0.4, there has to be *something* new&worthwhile to it.
Blue

Re: ► (2/3) ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by Blue »

Webunny,
No problem miss understand happen & I'm not the one that said hack(S) in that way... If I even said it at all...

Anyways if I did say it.. I would say i wish to have them work a rounds/hacks removed as fast as they can from the OS build(S) with a working stable content build... The OS team(s) put work arounds in the OS build(s) to get them to pass for nightly build in the bot. Now you could say that is a hack in away - This can be needed at time(S)... Lets put that aside and read what I've written here and not comment about other peoples posts that have not taken the time-out to fully understand what was written & go along with it.

This makes use both look foolish when we have to comment back like this. :shock:
Sorry it take so long to comment back.
bturner01

Re: ► (2/3) ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by bturner01 »

WRT desktop icons not movable (item 15) I would like to help with this if I can and if Frontier will point me at the relevant code. It surely cant be too difficult..........