Version 0.4 and others ?'s

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pi_User5

Version 0.4 and others ?'s

Post by Pi_User5 »

Is there a time frame when version 0.4 will be released? I also want to know if React OS will support logging on to Windows domain soon.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Version 0.4 and others ?'s

Post by vicmarcal »

It depends on how much succesful the Indiegogo campaign is.
So basically after the campaign,when?depends on supporters :)
justincase

Post by justincase »

:arrow: more money = quicker development = release comes sooner :D
:arrow: less money = slower development = release takes longer :cry:

:idea: So donate what(/if) you can, tell your friends how cool ReactOS is, ask them to help ReactOS get better quicker, send a ReactOS Campaign tip to a local news outlet, ... etc.. :mrgreen:
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Correction, 0.4's release is not tied to the campaign. As for schedule, it depends when the blockers are resolved.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Yeah, re-reading these posts I suppose it could be taken that way, sorry.
The release date of 0.4 is (kind of obviously) not connected to the campaign, but am I not correct in stating that more funding (whether via the Campaign or not) will speed up the development process, meaning more bugs get fixed sooner, which will in turn mean 0.4 gets released sooner?

Thanks for clarifying Z98.
Z98 wrote:Correction, 0.4's release is not tied to the campaign. As for schedule, it depends when the blockers are resolved.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Correction, 0.4's release is not tied to the campaign. As for schedule, it depends when the blockers are resolved.
And the blockers are?:

1)Shell32 and new_explorer
2)Full usb support
3)???
4)Profit!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Primary Objectives
- Complete theme support in both the shell and USER32 managed UI elements.
- Completion of shell32 to allow use of explorer_new.
- More complete USB support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a USB device is likely to work or not.
- More complete sound support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a sound card is likely to work or not.
- Improved networking support and more user friendly setup of wireless network access.

Secondary Objectives
- Ability to install and run ReactOS on an ext2 partition - Gated on common cache and memory manager work.
- Eliminate last remnants of old memory manager - Gated on having sections use ARM3 functionality instead of ROS-specific memory areas.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Primary Objectives
- Complete theme support in both the shell and USER32 managed UI elements.
- Completion of shell32 to allow use of explorer_new.
- More complete USB support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a USB device is likely to work or not.
- More complete sound support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a sound card is likely to work or not.
- Improved networking support and more user friendly setup of wireless network access.

Secondary Objectives
- Ability to install and run ReactOS on an ext2 partition - Gated on common cache and memory manager work.
- Eliminate last remnants of old memory manager - Gated on having sections use ARM3 functionality instead of ROS-specific memory areas.
Would 'more complete sound support' also include HD audio?
middings

Post by middings »

See the current objectives for version 0.4 on the roadmap in the ReactOS wiki.

Also, for the especially curious, here are the issues/bugs currently marked Fix Version: 0.4.0 in ReactOS's JIRA bugtracker.

"If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."--proverb
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Webunny wrote: Would 'more complete sound support' also include HD audio?
No.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:
Webunny wrote: Would 'more complete sound support' also include HD audio?
No.
:(
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Any thing about Window Domain logons?
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No domain logon without full smb support. We can steal that from samba of course but not in the current state of the network stack. Additionally the logon and multi user system made by Eric still needs some love. Regarding HD audio. The whole base driver architecture for that is still TBD.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

EmuandCo wrote:Additionally the logon and multi user system made by Eric still needs some love.
What do you mean by that?

[ external image ]
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Pi_User5 wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:Additionally the logon and multi user system made by Eric still needs some love.
What do you mean by that?
Eric Kohl implemented a Multiuser/Logon System the past few months. It works somehow, but there are some things missing, which are required for such things like domains.