XP-like icons

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Axy314

Re: XP-like icons

Post by Axy314 »

i would like to help. Request me an icon for me to make for the react os.
BTW sorry my bad english.
Regards

Axy314
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, trunk tries to get along with Tango and the Community Edition with Faenza. Both are nice, but not really unique. If you are a good artitst, show us some icons. In theory all are replaceable ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Axy314 wrote:i would like to help. Request me an icon for me to make for the react os. BTW sorry my bad english. Regards Axy314
EmuandCo wrote:Well, trunk tries to get along with Tango and the Community Edition with Faenza. Both are nice, but not really unique. If you are a good artitst, show us some icons. In theory all are replaceable ^^
As said, it would make sense to go for winXP-lookalikes, if the purpose is to mimic the 'look&feel' of winXP as stated on our mainpage. Which doesn't mean they can't be even better (like, higher res, or whatever).

Axy, maybe you can start with the most common, to give an idea of your skills? Like, folder icons, the bin, etc.
Last edited by Webunny on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Post by middings »

Axy314 wrote:Request of me an icon for me to make for ReactOS.
I request a ReactOS 'atom' icon that has the same aspect ratio (ratio of height to width) as the ReactOS atom on this web page. The icon on the ReactOS Start button looks too wide to me. It looks squashed.
WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender »

I think there already exists an XP-like icon theme, but made for a different project: the CrystalSVG icon theme from the KDE3 software compilation. Could we try using some, if not all, of the icons from that particular icon theme, as it looks like an attempt at the time it was created to try to mimic the Windows XP look-and-feel? This icon theme has been released using one of the GNU *GPL licenses, so it should be legal to reuse.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Tango icons are excellently made, tasteful, well thought out, neutral and fit with the general UX of ReactOS.
If you want to enhance the icons try to adhere to their guidelines. They are not flashy, but utilitarian.

For example, "I generally find the default My Computer icon ugly; I want to make a replacement that fits with the rest of the set."
People generally misrepresent the work needed to make an entire set of icons and a consistent visual experience.

http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon ... Guidelines
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tango_icons

There you can see their specifications and a few videos of their workflow.
If you make updated Tango-based icons they will probably be accepted way easily than trying to reinvent the wheel time after time.

It's also a neat way of avoiding any legal ramifications.

[ external image ]
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Ohnemichel

Post by Ohnemichel »

The strip on the lower rim of the computer is not present in usual computers, so it can be seen as a copied idea from Microsoft.
Also Noone got a label on the middle of his tower.
by the way, a computer without keyboard looks silly, so add a keyboard.
(Only if you DO want xp like icons. I'd prefer the ordinary reactos ones!!! And the steampunk crap of dizt3mp3r rox ass, too bad it wasn't drawn by him!)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

WorldBlender wrote:I think there already exists an XP-like icon theme, but made for a different project: the CrystalSVG icon theme from the KDE3 software compilation. Could we try using some, if not all, of the icons from that particular icon theme, as it looks like an attempt at the time it was created to try to mimic the Windows XP look-and-feel? This icon theme has been released using one of the GNU *GPL licenses, so it should be legal to reuse.
I've looked at the crytal ones (for gnome), and they do look pretty similar to XP.

Maybe they can, indeed, be used as a 'XP look&feel" alike'?
Kargaroc586

Post by Kargaroc586 »

Makes me wonder if you could also get some old-style pixel art icons as well.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Oh yes, they exist. Unfortunately, the one's I've come across are all terrible and/or incomplete...

http://loganglcunningham.deviantart.com ... -486223306
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=128550
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=80574

Unless you meant something else by pixel art...
Kargaroc586

Post by Kargaroc586 »

The same style as Windows 9x icons.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

In that case, they definitely exist.
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=157298
davefilms

Post by davefilms »

This will probably infringe on MS's copyright. Lets have a new fresh look with an Areo like look!