Sidebar in file explorer

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Sidebar in file explorer

Post by manuel »

In windows xp and lower there was a sidebar in the file explorer. When you select a file appeared options such as copy, cut, delete, compress, etc. If the selected file is an image or video was possible preview it from this bar, but no longer exists in windows 7 or 8 and reactos does not. I attach a screenshot to this sidebar on windows 2000 playing a midi file without any program opened, they could implement something like this in reactos?, greetings.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Konata

Re: Sidebar in file explorer

Post by Konata »

That would be pretty awesome. Is this planned at all?
oldman

Post by oldman »

I actually don't like the side bar! So if it ever gets implemented, then who ever does it, I hope they make it so it can be turned off! What I would find useful, would be if when you hovered over an image file, a little preview window opened just above the mouse pointer and closed when you moved the pointer off of the file.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
manuel

Post by manuel »

oldman wrote:What I would find useful, would be if when you hovered over an image file, a little preview window opened just above the mouse pointer and closed when you moved the pointer off of the file.
and are there any plans to implement something in reactos?
gordon451

Post by gordon451 »

Ummm... Something like this? Windows 7 Classic Desktop.

[ external image ]

But yes, for the Out-of-the-Box experience, this would be nice. Unfortunately, the screen-shot cannot capture the drop-down menu :( so youse don't get to see the gory details: in "View", just tick on "Status bar" :)

Of course, I'm also sure that the devs would make sure that Classic Explorer from ClassicShell.net will fit in ROS 8-) , so even if ROS can't, you still can. :D

Gordon.
manuel

Post by manuel »

gordon451 wrote:Ummm... Something like this? Windows 7 Classic Desktop.
[ external image ]
I think that is good idea
sdever

Post by sdever »

Hello,

I think there is already a bug report here: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-8814?filter=13410. However, I think it relies on Active Desktop technology or something like this, that ReactOS doesn't seem to handle at the moment (afaik Active Desktop relies on HTML and ActiveX, which requires proper MSHTML implementation to have ActiveX :( ).
Konata

Post by Konata »

sdever wrote:Hello,

I think there is already a bug report here: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-8814?filter=13410. However, I think it relies on Active Desktop technology or something like this, that ReactOS doesn't seem to handle at the moment (afaik Active Desktop relies on HTML and ActiveX, which requires proper MSHTML implementation to have ActiveX :( ).
Correct.

I'm actually excited for Active Desktop. It's a really cool concept and I hope it can be implemented. I don't know why it crashed so often in Windows, but I don't let that distract me from the concept.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Just my two cents: I really think implementing such feature via WebKit library instead of forcing user to mess with Wine Gecko installation (that is currently used for Internet Explorer imitation) would be way easier. Because? Because WebKit, unlike Gecko, can be compiled into single self-contained .dll, that can be used everywhere: in Explorer, in the Internet Explorer and even in the HTML Help Viewer, not to mention it's lightweight in comparison and can be included into LiveCD/BootCD ISO image.

Edit: Saw this topic: https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89492

Son, I'm disappointed. :(
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Feel free to continue your Gecko vs WebKit discussion in the mentioned thread, not here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

These two are tightly related, though. There simply won't be a sidebar of the same functionality as in 98/2000/2k3 without proper MSHTML.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

manuel

Post by manuel »