27%
It's bad idea. There's too many shells.
21%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 77

menn

Post by menn »

TiKu wrote:I don't like it. It looks old-fashioned.
i don't think it will ever stay an issue. though it may stay always one step behind (no complaints there) i think ros will probably always use something similar to the most recent or second most recent version of windows. this will make it easiest on the person switching.

only problem is that MS has taken to letting sanity take the back seat and let graphics explode and do other rude things all over the screen. nice to see some simplicity in ros, reminds me of the saner days of win2k. so how do you make it always look like the latest windows without looking like a cartoon puked acrylic paint? by focusing on layout and not on every last graphical effect. effects are not UI, effects are skin on UI. they are sub-ui. i think ros will always use this approach anyway. maybe not. we'll see. ros will never 100% mockup nor be allowed to 100% mockup the windows look, they have to be a-little-bit-different-enough. thank heaven for small favors.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
jatos

Post by jatos »

When my styles ready for use what I think I will do ask for it to supplied with ReactOS then anyone who prefers that skin can use it. Those who don't can use a skin they do prefer. I am mainly making that to try and make so it looks simple but nice. Still all feedback welcomed. I will say, I have been expirementing with the Go! button I still have yet to get it perfect.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

but should still look like windows
digiboy

Post by digiboy »

I like the idea of seperate executable files.
There should be more
1) explorer.exe
2) desktop.exe
3) taskbar.exe
This way, if one crashes, it doesn't take down the whole system like XP does now -> bad design!!!

As for config files/registry. Each has pros/cons.
Registry :
pro : faster
con : the entire registry is pre-loaded and locked in memory which is a HOG

Files :
con : slower
pro : only loads what is currently running, easier manipulation.

I personally think the registry has become abused, too many programs overload it with settings. All these settings are stored in memory and locked wasting memory, even if you don't use the program it's for -> bad design!!!

The registry should be for the OS settings only, not 3rd party software, oh well, too late now. Microsoft has little ability for future implications of their designs.
forart

Post by forart »

I grabbed an interesting info here:
pixol wrote:Mon Dec 04 2006, 10:17AM

News is SharpE is now working with ROS.

--
Pixol - pixol@sharpe-shell.org
Lead developer of SharpCore + Core Services
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
forart

Post by forart »

...any screenshot ? :roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

digiboy: you dont need seperate files. as an example XP can run Explorer and Desktop/Taskbar in seperate processes if you want.
peat

Post by peat »

EmuandCo wrote:digiboy:XP can run Explorer and Desktop/Taskbar in seperate processes if you want.
How would you do that ?
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Its in the Folder Options dialog. I no longer run windows, but its somewhere in the menus of running explorer. Keep in mind this means Desktop and Task bar are still in the same process, but explorer windows are not.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

I don't really like Explorer much, but as long as ReactOS has right click context menus, I'll be happy.

Now if you're talking about IE, well, screw that. Of course everyone will just use Firefox.
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

EmuandCo wrote:digiboy: you dont need seperate files. as an example XP can run Explorer and Desktop/Taskbar in seperate processes if you want.
I don't think it is like that. I think this feature is only about one folder crashes->the others keep.

Anyway recovering desktop & taskbar is easy: Atrl+Alt+Supr -> Run "explorer.exe" and everything lives again. This trick also works if instead of windows explorer.exe you run ros one.

And if you're paranoic about the gui crashing you could even put a program detecting the crash and restoring it.
jimtabor
Developer

What Ever

Post by jimtabor »

Hi,
Just leave the basic explorer we have and fix the code needed to use other shells.

Oh, thats right, that will be me, note toself: Fix shell hooks and defwnd class calls.

Thanks,
James
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Plz no XP design! I'm so freaken sick of it!!!!! So make it like vista or a mix!

But I think an original related to the reactos logo would be best! :?

thank you,

kT
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Kevintrooper: if you want something, make it. Yelling on 4 different threads on how you hate default XP theme wont do any good. If you dont like it, propose something (like some direct replacement) what you`d like.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

I made my own(srry i'm still new at it!) i'm better at making games!

[ external image ]