Create a Start screen?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

ubunturox104

Create a Start screen?

Post by ubunturox104 »

Aloha,

I know that this is a silly question and I'm going to get some flack for it, but is it possible to make a Start screen for ReactOS? How can I attempt this? If I can't make one in C, is is possible to trigger the Start button to open the Mosaic (https://mosaicproject.codeplex.com) app?

Any help with this is extremely appreciated.
Konata

Re: Create a Start screen?

Post by Konata »

Well, to make one for ReactOS, you'd be making one for Windows XP. I'm sure I speak for the developers when I say you should pretty much just develop such a thing on Windows XP, and if it doesn't work in ReactOS, file a bug report.
I'm not really a GUI guy, I'd probably use SDL (even MonoGame) or something for such a task. I'm sure it's completely possible in WinAPI, but probably more work (if you really want to make it fancy with animations and CSS themes). You could also look into Qt since people often make very beautiful-looking cross-platform interfaces in that (just look at the Telegram desktop client). One other option is basically re-implement Active Desktop by creating a web view/integrated browser and making it full-screen. Again, I'm sure it's totally possible in WinAPI too, but I never seen or attempted such a thing.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ubunturox104 wrote:Aloha,

I know that this is a silly question and I'm going to get some flack for it, but is it possible to make a Start screen for ReactOS? How can I attempt this? If I can't make one in C, is is possible to trigger the Start button to open the Mosaic (https://mosaicproject.codeplex.com) app?

Sounds like a good idea... I'd like to see that work. No Flack here.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
manuel

Post by manuel »

ubunturox104 wrote:Aloha,

like windows 8?, no thanks.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

From Mosaic Project website:
System requirements:
- Windows 7
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
Have you tried it in ROS?
ubunturox104

Post by ubunturox104 »

I tried installing WinMetro from IObit. It installed, but BSOD'd after opening it. Also, I want to make a Start screen that natively works in my fork without downloading other frameworks or other files.

[ external image ]

This is just a proof of concept, but this is what I hope to achieve. I apologize if the image is cut off.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The ability to skin/theme ReactOS via any method is only to be applauded. If you make progress I will be interested to see what you come up with.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Well, WinMetro from IObit is targeted at XP, so it should work. I'd suggest getting some debug logs and filing a report in Jira. If it's a minor enough issue, the devs might get a patch out for you pretty quick.