ReactOS icon set

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Estaban wrote:The whole idea is to let it look familiair, nobody cares about shiny, designer icons as default iconset. The userfeeling will go up IMO if this new and refreshing iconset will be used as an default. The current iconset sucks IMO. There are all the same icons everywere, wich can be annoying. What do you all think? Shall this iconset be used as an default in your opinion in the future releases of ReactOS? I vote yes. Great work, not too much showoff. Just clean and nice icons. So, what do you think?
I think they are GREAT!!! :D It would be very nice IMO to see them in ReactOS. I can't imagine a better icon set for ReactOS than this one.
So I vote yes, too :wink:
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Just a quick hack to the closed folder, so nothing special. The open folder :)

[ external image ]

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, keeps my motivation up :).
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

mf: I maybe start pray to you :D. Your graphical skill is incredible... more icons..... please :D
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

I'm missing new stuff :cry: :wink:
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Two comments:

- The HDD icon looks a bit plain. Perhaps a more 'exciting' angle would help?
- The recycling symbol on the trash can is quite hard to make out, even on the largest version. I had to look for a few minutes at it before I realized what the green blur was :)

Other than that it looks great! Keep up the good work :)
e7

Post by e7 »

If I see this icons, i hope the ROS Explorer can display PNG-Icons in next versions ;)
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Now I think of it with the comments above, maybe all the icons should be at the same angle.
Tristan

Perspective

Post by Tristan »

Just a little constructive criticism. Individually, the icons look awesome - certainly among the best I have ever seen. Collectively however (such as together on a desktop), they look a little odd due to their differing perspectives.

I think that Phalanx is spot-on with his comment about them all being at the same angle.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

great icons again!

only a constructive criticism: it is difficult to see that the folder is opened in the 16x16 icon... Maybe open it more.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Please make some more icons :)

Here is some suggestions:

-a "Networking" icon
-Internet connection
-Control Panel
-Registry editor
-Notepad
-Calculator
-icons for some common types of file (txt, bmp, jpg, mp3, etc...)
-CD-ROM drive
-Floppy drive
-printer
-speakers (for sound settings)
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Now what happened to mf? I hope he'll come back and favor us with some more icos...

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Just goes to show that you don't have to be a programmer to contribute. Whoever you are, whatever you do, you are able to give something to this project, so do it!
Keep up with the good work. Keep this stuff coming in, everyone!
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I am kind of busy at the moment. I have been playing with ReactOS on qemu and hacking the icons into explorer.exe but I am having some difficulties. I'll have to ask Martin Fuchs (my name twin ;) on CVS/SVN his login is "mf") what's up with explorer's resource stuff. Hang tight cause I'm sure when I've finished some other tasks (hopefully by next week) I'll have more time for icons again.
Aquatakat

Post by Aquatakat »

Those icons are excellent.

But they look kind of funny all together because of the different perspective you have on each of them. You see the hard disk one from the front, the computer one on an angle, the recycle bin on a slightly larger angle, and the folders on a smaller one.
GvG

Post by GvG »

mf wrote:I have been playing with ReactOS on qemu and hacking the icons into explorer.exe but I am having some difficulties.
If the problem is that you can't seem to find some of the icons you want to replace, look at reactos/lib/shell32. Most of the icons used by explorer are actually implemented by shell32.