ReactOS icon set

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

counting_pine wrote:btw, does anyone know if ReactOS supports 32-bit colour icons yet?
Nope. Bug Filip :).
theuserbl

screenshots?

Post by theuserbl »

Are this new icons here, which are created by Martin, are already part of ROS? Or does the CVS-version of ROS still using Everaldos Crystal icons?

If Martins icons are already integrated in ROS, then it would be nice, if anybody makes a screenshot of it.

Greatings
theuserbl
mf
Developer

Re: screenshots?

Post by mf »

theuserbl wrote:If Martins icons are already integrated in ROS, then it would be nice, if anybody makes a screenshot of it.
Ho ho ho. They're created by me, not Martin. And some of them are in SVN, others aren't. Patience :).
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

> Ho ho ho. They're created by me, not Martin.

Oh, sorry. This image gaves me the fealing, that Martin have it created. And than I have looked at you nickname and I have thoughted that mf stand for Martin Fuchs. Sorry.

> And some of them are in SVN, others aren't. Patience :).

Ok. Hopefully anybody integrates all in CVS.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Those icons are great! Very professionnal. I hope you'll create more!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Tah-daaahh!

[ external image ]

You can't get this result straight from SVN yet, there are some issues with icons in resource files which GreatLord and me are resolving right now. (Edit: all fixed up - a recent SVN checkout will now produce the above screenshot) So let's see, that's 7 down, 119 to go! Banzai!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Nice Work!

Post by Jaix »

Wow, this starts to look good, keep up the good work!
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Finally a 'My Computer'-icon which would instill some kind of pride were I the owner of such a system =^_^=
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

mf wrote:Tah-daaahh!

[ external image ]

You can't get this result straight from SVN yet, there are some issues with icons in resource files which GreatLord and me are resolving right now. (Edit: all fixed up - a recent SVN checkout will now produce the above screenshot) So let's see, that's 7 down, 119 to go! Banzai!
i like the reactos style icons so far (the kind of flat crystal-esque icons with the heavy borders). i hope that style continues and is consistant in its look.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Floyd wrote:i like the reactos style icons so far (the kind of flat crystal-esque icons with the heavy borders).
You might not like to hear then, that the style I'm making is opposite of that ;).
Nicram

Post by Nicram »

Hello there :)
I'm graphic designer for abut few years now & i got one big idea for ReactOS developers & image creators.
In may OS there is problem coming because... Graphic cards are better & better, & monitors are bigger & bigger. Many times resolution 1280x1024 is standard now... So then icoms may look not nice.
My idea is to make ReactOS support for vector images/icons. Why ?
Because there is no any problems with resolution changing then. Even when resolution be 2048x1513 the icons & bachground will look the same way. Every time! With same quality etc.
By the way there is already many icons that can be used in OS.
They all can be found here : http://www.openclipart.org/

Best Regards
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Nicram wrote:In may OS there is problem coming because... Graphic cards are better & better, & monitors are bigger & bigger. Many times resolution 1280x1024 is standard now... So then icoms may look not nice.
Point 1: If you run a twice as big monitor on twice the resolution, you will retain the same dot pitch, and thus your icons will be the same size and just as recognizable. You simply have twice the workspace size.
Point 2: If you run a twice as big monitor on four times the resolution, you will have a halved dot pitch and icons will be unclear. This is not recommendable to do anyway, since you will have readability problems on websites, things will seem way too small and a lot of website layouts will leave lots of whitespace anyway. Still, there is no problem with icons. Open up your registry editor, point it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, and modify "Shell Icon Size" to 64. For the small icons, this is easier. From Control Panel, click Display, then click the Appearance tab. Select Caption Buttons from the Item list, then set the "Size" field to 32. Wasn't that easy? Check back in a few years for vector icon support, like... When Longhorn finally comes out. Actually, we discussed exactly that a few posts up, what a coincidence.
Nicram

Post by Nicram »

mf why are you afraid vector gfx so mych ?:)
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I don't see that it would be difficult to add support for any type of graphics file, for someone who knows what they're doing.
For example, Windows supports bitmaps as icons, so it should be possible to add support for other types, like PNGs or vector graphics (animated icons might take more work).
Someone just has to write the code for reading the format or, if it already exists, to integrate it into the appropriate functions.

The only problem is, I suspect, that developers have more useful things to spend their time on. I think it would be nice to have support for things like alpha channels and various image types, but for the moment there are more important things that need work.
Nicram

Post by Nicram »

counting_pine wrote:but for the moment there are more important things that need work.
10000% right :)