A 100% original/official icon theme for ReactOS?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheCoreh

A 100% original/official icon theme for ReactOS?

Post by TheCoreh »

Hello guys. I'm new here, and I really liked the project.

So I was thinking... ReactOS needs an official icon pack. It may seem a little early to talk about this, but since creating a consistent and robust icon package for a whole operating system takes *a good* time, I think it's appropriate.

So I decided to try and come up with something in Flash (Since it's the only vector based program I know how to use). After researching a lot about icon design, observing different icon projects, remaking my icons various times and asking a lot of people for suggestions, I guess I finally got some good results. So here's what I got:

[ external image ]

It's mostly inspired by the Oxygen Project for KDE4, however, my intention is to make them more Windows-like (For example, using Yellow-orangeish folders, and the same objects used on Windows to represent stuff.) As you have noticed, there are two versions on this sample image... One with glossy highlights, and other without them, since I've seen people complaining about those in other topics at these forums.

So, what do you think?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Wow. Nice. I think there have been other attempts to create icons, but I don't recall any of them fully panning out. However, do bear in mind ROS only supports icons, uh, can't remember which image format it was, but vector icons aren't supported at the moment.
TheCoreh

Post by TheCoreh »

Haha, thanks.

I think it does only support standard Win32 .ico files. However, it should be pretty easy to adapt to the limitation, since flash does export PNGs (That's how this image was made, after all...) And there is/there was a program called png2ico, if I recall correctly, that can do the job of converting the exported images to icons quite well.

16x16 icons would require a special treatment, however, since they are so small. Possibly the best way of handling them is to make pixel-art versions of the big icons... Which is just what MS did with Windows XP icons.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

2 thumbs up! :D 8)
If you create a full icon set, I'm sure it will be used. I love your style, it's better than Tango IMHO. More "Windows" too.
TheCoreh

Post by TheCoreh »

:D

Cool! Thanks.

I think what I should do now is a list of all the icons needed, and set their priorities. Also, I should plan on what reusable parts should be created to avoid redoing job.

By the way, I finally downloaded and tested ReactOS (I had only seen screenshots before), so now I have a good idea of what's the current stage of development... I wish I could help with coding, but my coding skills are not advanced enough for what's needed right now. But I see there are many images missing (like the monitor from the display properties dialog), so I think beside the icons, I can also work on them, so when the code for an OS element gets ready, we'll already have the GUI element for it.

Well, I've never worked on an Open Source project before... Does stuff you make need to get approved or something, or you can send it to the SVN by yourself?

PS: Sorry for my poor English, it's not my first language.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello !!
First: what poor english are u talking bout??? i didn't see any problem in ur english uptill now ..(that really doesn't matter anyway...)

Now to the topic:
Excellent work in those icons.. I'll make sure i point this topic out to the devs (AFAIK . some of the devs are working on improving the UI ..bugfixes and stuff at the moment..) Looking forward to seeing more of ur work too...
Regards GreyGhost
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

oh .. i forgot to answer to ur last question... u can either pop in at the IRC channle .. lok in the wiki for the guidelines..and talk to the developers bout ur work .. or submit a bug report at the bugzilla .. then the developers will look into it and patch the svn ..
Regards GreyGhost
mvent2

Post by mvent2 »

Nice :D
I think what I should do now is a list of all the icons needed, and set their priorities.
That's easy. Most of the Windows icons are stored in Shell32.dll. I'll tell you how to get the list of icons:

1. Right click any shortcut (must be a shortcut, not a file. Try something on your desktop) and click Properties.
2. Under the Shortcut tab, Click the "Change Icon..." button.
3. In the textbox under "Look for icons in this file:", type this:

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

and press Enter.
4. Most of the familiar Windows icons should now all be in front of you. We'd really love it if you could make shiny icons out of those for ReactOS. :D
Well, I've never worked on an Open Source project before... Does stuff you make need to get approved or something, or you can send it to the SVN by yourself?
Yes, generally everything does need to be approved before it can make it into a project. Especially a risky project like this one where Microsoft would want any chance they can to shut us down.

The developers who have full access to the tree stay in our IRC channel, they don't visit the forums much. Come talk to us :)

Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #reactos
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

I've not got any new information to add but DARN I like those icons!
You should really make a full set indeed. :)
O, and btw, about saying to reuse parts, that's not only to save some time, it's also important to keep things a bit consistent.
I'll keep an eye on this thread :)
-graey-
peat

Post by peat »

These icons are awesome.Can´t wait to see a full Icon-Set :lol: :P
Apal

Post by Apal »

Keep up the good work man!
As of a first opinion, these are much better than the tango icons.
Expecting some full set soon! ;)
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

seems we have yet another icon designer.
I really liked yours design, especially second one, there will be new shell for ROS in 0.5.0 so untill this time you can prepare full icons set in collaboration with devs so WOW factor of 0.5.0 gains more :)

If you'll make full set I'll like you :)
ivanzky

cool!

Post by ivanzky »

The icons looks promising :mrgreen:

Keep it up!

Good luck

Waiting to see for the full icon set... :roll:
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

looks good.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

those are great looking icons, I can't wait for the full set!