A 100% original/official icon theme for ReactOS?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

The icons look nice.

I think it is important to have a "consistent" icon look inside ReactOS for both ROS icons and 3rd party icons. So it might be smart to follow MS icon design guidelines (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx)

One other thing: Many icon set's look fantastic in huge size, look ok in 48x48, acceptable in 32x32 and bad in 16x16. Please make sure the icons still look good in 16x16 and in lower color depth.
Sometimes less is more ;-)

But please go on, it's good to see people beeing able to make nice graphics for ROS. Maybe you can also make some icons for our apps (calc icon looks really bad IMHO, also control, devmgmt, sndvol32 and taskmgr could need some new fresh icons.)
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

That's a good idea. Hope another guideline comnes for Vista, so that the user can change icons to the set he want's to :)
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

Bad idea.
Current icon design motivations goes into the way of reality, not cartoonization, so i'd rather like to see ROS icons made MacOS X-like or KDE Oxygen inspirated.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

in smaller sizes (icon size :) ) the back white part of the folder tends to disappear on a white background. you probably need to do something a bit different for 16x16 size as well, its not really recognisable.
Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo »

Wow, I love these kinds of initiatives, I would love to aid in any way in this project. Yes, I kind of like the Tango icon set, but a Original ROS icon set would be a great way to differentiate the project.

Although I have experience with the majority of Macromedia, Corel and Adobe suites (both vector editing and bitmap editing), I find that giving Inkscape and The GIMP a shot is definitively a great idea.

I know that they miss some nice features that their proprietary competitors "boast", but nonetheless they are excellent tools to work on, not to mention the fact that because they are free, you can share your source files with anyone without having to convert them to other formats (let's admit it, exporting from Flash or Illustrator to other vector formats is less than perfect at times).

In any case, it would be wonderful if I could aid in any way with this idea.
And I like that folder icon.

(By the way, hello ReactOS community!)
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello Fred_Pyo .
All kind if help is always welcome ... and there is no real need (IMO) of using an open source package for ur work ... U can't deny it... hwat is better is better... feel free to make ur stuff using any tool u wish to use.. just that some way of alowing other packages to use it may be required .. but most prolly it won't be much of a problem ..
Regards GreyGhost
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

I dont know if this is kinda the topic but do you like my design?
(check my signature)!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

TheCoreh: do you still work on it?
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

cmoibenlepro wrote:TheCoreh: do you still work on it?
I guess not, because I replied to a mail he sent me a while ago and I never heard anything back from him.
It compiles, let's ship it!
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

mf wrote:
I guess not, because I replied to a mail he sent me a while ago and I never heard anything back from him.
WHO?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

WHO?
TheCoreh
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

cmoibenlepro wrote:
WHO?
TheCoreh
ok srry to enterfeer, but i thought u where talking about me!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

mf wrote:
Whoops, I accidentally mistook this thread for this:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26496

I haven't been in contact with TheCoreh so the above statement is false. Sorry for the confusion!
It compiles, let's ship it!
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

*removed by moderator*

found icons!
Last edited by kevintrooper on Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

kevintrooper: try again.

That's what Google showed when I searched for "icon pda":
http://www.downloadlink.net/dimages/icon_pda.gif
I don't know who made that, but I doubt that it is yours... like "your" other work.
my blog: phoenix.de.am