Title Bar design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Reacter wrote:No offense meant, but, do you mind merging your posts, and not double posting(or quad)?
From where I come, double posting means posting the same thing twice. But now I think here it means don't make any two posts twice in a row? I'll merge...

Edit: Is there any good way to merge instead of just copying and deleting content? I don't get the option to delete my posts, and I see no "merge" button.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The double posting rule here is more geared towards keeping people from resurrecting really old posts as well as a general organization method. The only reason for someone to double post is if they wrote a massively long post that exceeded the max word count.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

A little bit more Mac inspired, if that is okay. The further from Windows, the safer, I guess? Anyhow, I think this looks pretty nice.

The firefox window is open here, too.

I got rid of the transparency (except for the shadows), but why would transparency be difficult for a theme?

Still wondering about ideas for the start menu.

[ external image ]
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

artguy10 wrote:A little bit more Mac inspired, if that is okay. The further from Windows, the safer, I guess? Anyhow, I think this looks pretty nice.

I got rid of the transparency (except for the shadows), but why would transparency be difficult for a theme?

[ external image ]
that looks cool! i like the atom start button! :)
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

kevintrooper wrote:that looks cool! i like the atom start button! :)
Great! Except, that's not an atom. An atom is a mass of neutrons and protons bundled in a tiny center surrounded by a large cloud of tiny electrons. The ReactOS logo gives half the illustration of an Atom: Nucleus is WAY too large (and shiny!) the electron paths are four (in an super unlikely combo of paths), even though there is only one sphere in the center. Hehe, I liked science class.
dreams

Post by dreams »

artguy10 wrote:A little bit more Mac inspired, if that is okay. The further from Windows, the safer, I guess? Anyhow, I think this looks pretty nice.

[img]http://img95.imageshack%20.us/img95/2601/reactosflatmilkub2.png[/img]
I like this a lot! It looks clean and modern, and has a very distinctive style. Some small things that could be improved imho:

The ReactOS logo for the startmenu could be a bit bigger so it stands out more.

The fonts (except for the title bars) should be in a way modern font. Especially in the start menu. I like DejaVu Sans Condensed, but there may be more (open and free) fonts.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I used Helvetica Neue for everything, which I think is very readable. I could switch over to another font, but is DejaVu free? I couldn't find it on www.fonts.ro and it's not on my computer. Where could I download it, or a free similar font, if Helvetica isn't okay? Is Vera Sans okay?

About the start menu... I originally had it in an orb (like the Vista start menu) so it would be clear that it is a button, but some people wanted it just as the "atom". I can't make it too big, otherwise it would get in the way of other stuff and would just look unusual.

Here's my try at getting a bigger button:
[ external image ]

It got in the way of the start menu, so I tried a redesigned start menu to try and take care of that.

And let me know about the fonts.
Last edited by artguy10 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

this is the best! i ment to vote for this but i choose vista :(
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I hope you all realise this is all wasted effort because we're not going to have visual styles support in ReactOS anytime soon?
It compiles, let's ship it!
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

mf wrote:I hope you all realise this is all wasted effort because we're not going to have visual styles support in ReactOS anytime soon?
:cry:

Is it wasted if it means the project will look nicer once visual styles are supported? I don't expect that the project will stop before it becomes a finished, full-fledged operating system, will it?
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

artguy10 wrote::cry:

Is it wasted if it means the project will look nicer once visual styles are supported? I don't expect that the project will stop before it becomes a finished, full-fledged operating system, will it?
It's wasted because by the time visual styles are implemented this thread will be long forgotten.
It compiles, let's ship it!
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

mf wrote:
artguy10 wrote::cry:

It's wasted because by the time visual styles are implemented this thread will be long forgotten.
Well then, remember it. :wink:

Actually, this thread got ideas from the community, and I have the files on my comp, so I could bring up these ideas again once the time is right. So you see, it's not a waste, or else... :cry:
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

Why wasted o.O? You can always try to make uxtheme, artguy10, it's documented, you can test it on Windows and there'll be time ROS support these.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

mf is really discouraging people for no important reason... For one thing, its not necessarily set in stone that its needed to use themes and make it look cool immediately -- ever tried Vista with the performance settings? XP will do the same thing on the performance geared mode.

Plus, don't let the thread die. Keep bringing up improvements. That takes care of it altogether.